Playing straight/flush draws on the flop

B

Brewhaus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a beginner, but not an expert either. Am playing against a higher class of player recently and it seems like the more knowledgeable players will always bet enough to make you not have odds to call flush and straight draws. And they slow down massively if a flush hits the board and they don't have a huge hand so implied odds are low too.

So my question is, do I just never play straight and flush draws post flop?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would still play straight and flush draws, you just need to understand the opponent you are against.

For the person that you are referencing above, you might want to think about what it is they are trying to protect? It seems like you can steal some pots when a flush draw comes and they appear to fear it, even if you don't have a flush or if an over card hits the board. They should be easy to put on a hand and you can bet appropriately.

Don't limit yourself to one outcome.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definitely still play them. If they are C-betting the flop and you have a flush or straight draw, then you need to be raising to make sure you are getting the correct odds you need. A straight draw is more concealed than a flush draw and might be able to get the other odds you need on another street. However, on the flush they are more noticeable and hence will not pay off on the implied odds, so might want to raise them more post flop.

Hope this helps!

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think that not every flush draw or draw sequence is the same. If you have two draws in addition to the draw you will have a lot more equity to call big raises. If he is so afraid of the draw he is not really a great player.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pot odds are the most important consideration. In early position if I have the nut draw
to a flush or KQ with a JT board with 2 overs and nut straight draw I don't mind betting, I can set my price for the draw and see how everyone reacts to my bet.If I get
raised I can decide how I want to play it from there. If I flop a pair and flush draw I am going to lose a lot of chips if I am up against a set. If I have 15 possible outs to win I might be committed to the pot even without the right odds on the turn.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of calling why don't you consider raising as a semi-bluff? It has 2 advantages:
1. You gain some fold equity when they don't have it and take the pot right away.
2. You give yourself the right price to draw. Even if they continue you still can hit your draw.

Full Flush Poker