Playing around 50€ monthly but never win

F

FelixTheLord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings,
So I've started playing a while ago and recently came back to online poker.
I'm playing a lot of tournaments and "spin&go' on pokerstars.
I'm usually reasonable and play small tournaments < 5.50 but sometimes I get too emotive and start playing bigger spin and go's.
My biggest "achievement" was 6th in a big 3.30 but besides that I'm constantly losing.
I don't usually make to paying places in big tournaments and I'd love to know if you guys have any advises.
If I play too tight I find myself behind and forced to all in and when I get a bit loose and get a chip lead in the beginning I still struggle to keep my lead after losing a few hands.
Any idea where to start improving ? I'm trying some video tutorials but they don't really helped.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to use bankroll management and allocate a percentage of the amount to the buy-in, and never have to cross that line.

T

TheFaissal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings,
I'm usually reasonable and play small tournaments < 5.50 but sometimes I get too emotive and start playing bigger spin and go's.
My biggest "achievement" was 6th in a big 3.30 but besides that I'm constantly losing.
I don't usually make to paying places in big tournaments and I'd love to know if you guys have any advises.
If I play too tight I find myself behind and forced to all in and when I get a bit loose and get a chip lead in the beginning I still struggle to keep my lead after losing a few hands.
Any idea where to start improving ? I'm trying some video tutorials but they don't really helped.

I think you need a bankroll management, try to play low buyins first, and once you start growing your bankroll go ahead and play higher buyins.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Maybe Lord Felix should try cash games instead of tournaments ... :bebored:

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll management is the key word. In tournaments and sit and go you could lose also for 3 month in a row.

S

stormyf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend Pokerstrategy Poker School.

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A tip from me:
Do not let the size of your stack get to you
In the past when I won a bunch of hands and was chip leader, I tried to maintain to be chip leader. However that can make you loose very easily because you can not win all the time. You have to be patient to get a good hand and then bet.
Plus the fact is, the chip leader changes all the time.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not everyone wins. No one wins all the time. If you are newly back playing, you are not likely in practice.

A good 25% win rate in sit and go tournaments is profitable.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your playing in 5 dollar tournaments with a 50 dollar bank roll you are meant to lose based purely on strategy alone. You need better bankroll management, you shouldn't be entering tournaments more than 2 dollars and some would argue a dollar tops.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I do not think the bank roll is of any significance here at all since it just represents how much money is in the account at the given moment, rather than OP's actual bank roll outside of the account. OP is saying 50 euros MONTHLY. That's a significant quantity of cash going into the account every month. It's no different than having 600 euros for the entire year and playing 5.50 MTTs which would not be offside at all.

If OP is consistently losing then there are issues with the game selection and/or strategy and he should direct himself to learning more about that than bank roll management.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll management is the most important factor that you need to take into consideration

M

mainecun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to limit my percentage of bankroll for spin and go games. theres only two people you have to beat for a multiplied jackpot. However, Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the variance in tournaments is too crazy, and once your out that's it, unless you can reload.
Unless you can manage your tilt especially at low stakes it's a recipe for a downward spiralling disaster.

For me cash games slowly build up your discipline and you can come and go as you please,
Stay away from those super turbo twister roulette type jackpot games they're for gamblers not poker players.

F

FelixTheLord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for the help. I'll try to manage my bank roll and limit myself to small tournaments till I grow

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings,
Seems like you are in the chasing losses mindset which is bad for your mental game,
Think you should stop depositing stick to a serious freeroll schedule on half a dozen sites and everytime you win $20 withdraw $10 you will probably end up withdrawing close to $600+ over the coming year.:)

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 'easiest' way is to get a course like raise your edge. You will learn everything you need to be profitable in any stake

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please try a cash game.

The thing which should be done by a tournament after that finds the difference with the tournament also would also be found.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I bet $10 on sports and won 5 games and lost 5 games, I would not be even. So on a coin flip bet, I am behind, just due to the juice or the cost of betting.

Poker is the same way, however, it is a laugh to expect to win 50 percent of the time. We may be in the money 10 to 20 percent of the time(maybe 3/9ths of the time if 3 people get paid on a 9 person table) just based on odds. It is hard to overcome the rake or entry fees built into poker. And the more games you play, like if you pay $500 in entry fees and rake with the $50 a month you invest monthly, you would obviously be able to see that it is not losing at the tables that is costing you, it is the entry fees and rake. So the idea that you have to beat the other players and not the house, is the unwritten rule. However, the house is guaranteed their cut. It is not the players beatin me, it is the juice that is kicking my bankroll.

theheeb1984

theheeb1984

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I bet $10 on sports and won 5 games and lost 5 games, I would not be even. So on a coin flip bet, I am behind, just due to the juice or the cost of betting.

Poker is the same way, however, it is a laugh to expect to win 50 percent of the time. We may be in the money 10 to 20 percent of the time(maybe 3/9ths of the time if 3 people get paid on a 9 person table) just based on odds. It is hard to overcome the rake or entry fees built into poker. And the more games you play, like if you pay $500 in entry fees and rake with the $50 a month you invest monthly, you would obviously be able to see that it is not losing at the tables that is costing you, it is the entry fees and rake. So the idea that you have to beat the other players and not the house, is the unwritten rule. However, the house is guaranteed their cut. It is not the players beatin me, it is the juice that is kicking my bankroll.

This is a part that many people forget, if the payout is 3/9 the winning amount is at best 2/9 due to the fees. Unless you can consistently get into the final 2 there will be struggles. This is why SnG have so much issues while cash game is easier to manage and the fee is less visible to get slammed by.