re: Poker & Playing against loose players
TBH you probably wont be able to knock many more players out with a 5x raise than you would a 4x or 3x raise.
If the guy likes his hand he will play it.
I think you need to focus more on pot control.
For instance the lose players tend to be the flush master type. If there is a flush on they will chase it.
If you look at the hands they play, they tend to play suited connectors, AXs KXs Qxs (if they are loose even for this type and Jxs)
So your J high flush isnt really that good, because they tend to love to play the AXs Kxs and Qxs hands. You are ahead of their SC range, but thats represents something like 1/4 of their suited range. The other 3/4 of their suited range beat you.
Now with the AK out there the Q high flush is still more likely. Sure they could be playing a SC but we have just removed all AXs hands and Kxs hands
There are 10 Qxs hands and only 9 SC hands
I asume you had AJo, hit the ace and rivered the BD J high flush.
But against this range, when the flush hits you are slightly behind even with the J.
So, I dont know how the hand played out, but in the scenario I mentioned really the turn should have been shoved (you want the call, but you dont want the flush to hit because its going to lose for you more than it wins).
Another way of thinking of it is that if you shove, and he folds then you win the pot-there and then, if he calls then you win about 70% of the time (because the flush dosent come in) of the remaining 30% you figure to win just under half of the time (12% ish) (obviously i have neglected to include 2-pairs and sets etc, but you get the jist, you want to get the money in before the river rather than on the river where he has either hit his hand or he has not and thus folds.