Playing Against a Full Table is Calling Stations

L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I see a lot of posts about playing against a “calling station” opponent. The general consensus is to tighten up and play aggressive when you have the best hand.

My question is: How do I play against a WHOLE TABLE of calling stations?

This question is coming from an experience I just had at a MTT. I was at a table with a 74% WTS (Went to Showdown) percentage. Everybody, always, no matter what, called down. My VPIP (Voluntary Put in Pot) was 17%. I was only playing premium hands in position. It got to the point where I was way behind in chips because I was being blinded to death. I preflop 3bet shoved w KK and got 4 callers. I got taken out of the tournament by A6, which hit an A on the turn and a 6 on the river.

I don’t know how to play against such a table. Even AA against any 4 callers is only like 40% to win, it just doesn’t seem like there is any good strategy when the entire table wants to see 5 cards no matter how much it costs. It is, literally, playing slots and just hoping you hit. Any advice would be appreciated.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can not beat him join emm think of it as a game of Omaha limp in bet farm when you have nuts be wary when do not have nuts good luck

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Limit Holdem? I cant explain whats happened on your table if it wasnt some kind of Limits game. :)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't say I've ever experienced this so I can only talk theoretically. But in that situation I would open my preflop range way up. Basically if you can see a flop for 1 or 2 BBs then play almost any two cards. But never do any betting preflop. You can't get people off the hand so don't try. So this allows you to see many flops without putting in many chips and without having to go all the way to the river to decide if you have a good enough hand to win or not.

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same situation. Over pairs are not so strong being called by all table.
You chose a good strategy - to play with only strong hands. But playing against calling stations is like a bingo. If your hand left strong through all the board then you win. Otherwise the guy who called with 4 outs will win anyway.
I had the same situation when I played CC freeroll yesterday. I had QQ. I just shoved and was called by morons with 55 and A6s. So the last moron got an ace on the river. And he called another's allin because he had a gutshot with his 6. They can't play anyway, why do they try?

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stations

Very frustating to play with all the calling stations.I tried everything but had some success in raising pre then pushing all in on the flop or turn .This gives them a chance to fold sometime at least when they miss.