player positioning

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read a few articles on table positioning and when you should call or raise etc but i just don't believe that i mean if you feel confident in your hand then to me it makes more sense to bet it how you want because if you do everything by the book (especially a book tht everyone has read)

then aren't your opponents going to read your playing style like a book.

i think that it is really up to the player to find and trust thier own style of play (although i have seen some very strange styles lol)

but what can i say

im the donkey

but it does work for me lolol (somehow)

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need to know the GTO principles and to try to use them in your advantage in order to maximize the EV and to use exploitative techniques based on your read. I think that you should combine the 2 in order to achieve the best results in poker.

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's important but not much
if u have semi-strong hand and u think if u raise somebody raise on u I mean squeeze better not to do that

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Donkey I really liked your post bro it made me laugh plus enjoyed reading it

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Always playing by the book is only for people who have no clue. Playing ABC poker is a pure strategy, in game theory lingo. It's better than doing incredibly stupid moves way too often. What's said in books and articles is just a guideline. You shouldn't deviate too much from it, but you have to adapt to the specific situation and players.

Keep in mind that many players haven't read any books, so they have no idea what you are doing and how your position is important. On the other hand, a lot of the players already understand it. This doesn't mean you can't use it against them. You just play a higher level poker against such players and you try to mix your strategy.

Basic level poker is just concentrating on your own hand, position, pot odds and other math stuff like that. You are mainly concerned about yourself. A level 2 poker would be to concentrate on the other players too. Determining their playstyle. Thinking what hands they may have. At level 3 you are also concerned about your own image and what your moves represent. How do you want to appear to the other players; what kind of hand you want them to think you have; etc.. At level 4 you try to figure out what your opponents are trying to represent and how you can exploit that. At level 5 you think about what your opposition is thinking that you are trying to represent. At level 6... ok, let's stop now. This could continue, but if your opponent has a lower theory of mind (ToM) ability, you are overthinking. One could attribute thinking abilities even to inanimate objects, after all.

L

LogyJ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the game of poker based on dry book rules is like a driver who finished his driving license course. And you really get pleasure only when you go out of the scheme. As in driving a car - you know that you must enter the turn with the right speed, but when you add gas you will drive a drift. Now move it to a poker game and drift! : D

B

Budh43210

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Situation Dependent

I think it varies from situation to situation. There are definitely times where your position kind of mandates you should bet. With that being said if your on your last leg and you don’t have the Nuts why would you risk your chips when you don’t have to

G

grupus21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the truth is about the situation

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also read a lot of books, but played a lot on the situation, depending on who at the table are playing)but the most important thing for me is the position and it is desirable to be prepaparation

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It counts the position at the table, what hand you have, but if you only play according to the poker rules I say you will be disappointed. You have to adopt your own style of play and believe in it, a style of play you've noticed that brings you satisfaction.
I have seen many players waiting for AA, KK, QQ, JJ to get into the game. I already know what the hand has that player who bet all in :mad: after waiting for those cards for 15 to 20 hands to get into the game, if those cards come or if he has any money.