Played KK and got beat

B

Bluebottle88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fairly new to poker played KK with a 5BB raise, had one caller.. C bet half pot on the flop... All middle / low cards.... Got called.... Bet half pot again on the turn and got called... River card was 8... Bet the pot got called again he turned over pair of 8s for a set.... I think he played this hand badly and got lucky but did I play this hand correctly?

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is something you will need to get used to when playing poker. Sometimes the worst hands and the worst play wins.

You cannot look at the hand in isolation, but rather, if you played the hand in the same way over and over and over again, would it be profitable? Yes it would, so you should not worry that you lost this one hand. The guy sounds like he over valued his 88 and got lucky to spike his set. Overall I want to play this guy every day.

In terms of playing correctly or not, you need to provide more details. Was it a cash game or tournament, what were yours and the villains stack sizes, positions on the table, other players in the pot, any information you might have about the villain's style and range.

On a very basic level, I don't think there's too much wrong with your play. 5BB is a large raise pre-flop and might scare all your opponents off, in which case you're leaving money on the table, but maybe the table is playing loose so you'll get paid off, I don't know. I'm also assuming that there are not straights or flushes out there, in which case triple barrelling is fine too.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always be wary of sets when pots aren't 3/4bet preflop , never be afraid to throw away AA/KK in pots like that. You played the hand fine, sometimes after getting a call on the flop i'll jam on the turn if I feel my opponent is drawing to something and I have them beat.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Always be wary of sets when pots aren't 3/4bet preflop , never be afraid to throw away AA/KK in pots like that. You played the hand fine, sometimes after getting a call on the flop i'll jam on the turn if I feel my opponent is drawing to something and I have them beat.

You want people to call with worse.

Do they do that often when you go all-in?

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We must exercise caution when playing with KK, remember that this hand is beatable and can easily be beat by an AA, or two pair. So going all in preflop would be a good move. By increasing the preflop BB 3x you cannot invest too many stacks if there is too much aggression from your opponent, if you do not hit your three of a kind have the strength to fold this type of hand if there is aggression from your opponent. Hope this helps.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to online poker! :ciao: Strap yourself in,,,,it's a wild ride!! :vroam:

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You said the Flop was all low middle cards. Did the 8 fit into those cards for a possible straight? I think the c bet was alright. But on the turn I'm probably jamming. Depending again on what is on the board. If I think he's drawing to an ace I'm definitely jamming to get him out. Same if I think he's drawing to a straight.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is one of my unlucky hands. If I get the cash all-in preflop, I lose 60% of the time. But I will still play them.

Losing with what was the best hand is part of poker. We all get frustrated when we have a high percentage hand lose. Just remember that not every hand is a lock and that if there is a percentage of a chance for you to lose, that it will sometimes happen. In the long run if you are putting yourself in good positions with the right sized pots, you will come out ahead.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My KK lost to A4 last night and no flush and no ace came up. 235 came up tho.

I would remind someone that I always bet, to not give people free cards, but to be aware after the flop, anyone could have a set, even when the turn and river have not occurred.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm fairly new to poker played KK with a 5BB raise, had one caller.. C bet half pot on the flop... All middle / low cards.... Got called.... Bet half pot again on the turn and got called... River card was 8... Bet the pot got called again he turned over pair of 8s for a set.... I think he played this hand badly and got lucky but did I play this hand correctly?

I would have played the hand the same way you did. I have had many instances where that has happened and its frustrating. I have lost many tournaments from those incidents.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kk all in... if u r lucky, every1 will fold... otherwise the probability of you losing is greater as the players stay in, and the cards come down... Slow play ... NO WAY!