Play the nuts passively??

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should you always go all in if you know you have the best hand and you know op is pot committed. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I think I'm suffering from fear of being out drawn,

Here's a situation that happened recently

Hero K◇10◇
Villian raises my continuation bet on the turn after I've turned the nut straight.

Board: 9♡J♧2◇Q♤

I elect to go all in, villian snap calls and turns over Jack's and then rivers a queen giving him a boat.

I know these things happen but I put villians range on two pair and sets only as hes very straight forward.

Should have I elected to call the turn so I could potentially get away on the river with bad river cards??

Thanks

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion is that you played absolutely true! Yes, our best hands will sometimes outbid. but in the distance we will be in the black!

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It has also happened to me, I think that when the board starts to place projects, our winning hand is in danger. But bad luck in your case, you were a winner on the turn and incredibly lost on the river

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I'm saying if you know your opponents hole cards, but you have 0% fold equity but the best hand with vulnerable showdown value isn't it better to call rather than jam and then evaluate on the river

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer to play aggressively with the nuts in today’s poker climate. Especially online where you often see the nuts on the flop are not the nuts after the river. Isolating multiple players out of the hand may cost you some profit but in many cases it saves you from losing to inferior hands that get lucky.

The way you played the hand is fine, you suffered a cooler on the river and it obviously happens quite often. Getting it in ahead is never a bad thing. You will win that hand more than you lose it.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Always bet the nuts as you can extract value and protect against draws as even gut shots gets there on the turn sometimes.
Should you always go all in if you know you have the best hand and you know op is pot committed. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I think I'm suffering from fear of being out drawn,

Hero K◇10◇
Villian raises my continuation bet on the turn after I've turned the nut straight.

I elect to go all in, villian snap calls and turns over Jack's and then rivers a queen giving him a boat.

I know these things happen but I put villians range on two pair and sets only as hes very straight forward.

Should have I elected to call the turn so I could potentially get away on the river with bad river cards??

Thanks

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't have to go all in you had to wait for the river and see if there was a full house or a flush. It turns out it is not necessary to inflate the Bank to the river. And if on the River you are sure that your hand is the strongest you can go all in. And so all your bets have a risk if you go all in on the Turn.

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has also happened to me, I think that when the board starts to place projects, our winning hand is in danger. But bad luck in your case, you were a winner on the turn and incredibly lost on the river

As you said hero had a "bad luck". Could hero change the bad luck into a good luck just by calling to a villian raises on the turn, and check fold the all in on the river? I think hero's 9-K straight could be easily killed by 99 JJ QQ 22 also to a 9Qs.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it was bad luck, but I think that you had to wait turn ...and river to see what might be the best hand

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It comes back down to gambling,sometimes it pays off and sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.Once the blinds get up its hard to get much deeper without the occasional well calculated gamble.Some would say "trust your gut" has no place in poker,i tend to run with the opposite,gl gl.
Also i think you made the right move here as it presented you with two winning scenarios vs the chance of the villain catching the river,if he folded youve chipped up some,if he called and missed which odds would suggest should have happened youve got all the chips possible in the pot,so it was a well calculated gamble with an unlucky result,im sure that extra caution would have a place if it were a higher stakes tournament so again it comes down to risk vs reward,to gamble or not to gamble,that is the question.

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hero K◇10◇

Thanks

Thank U 4 Posting.

On the turn you have 77% equity. The math says all-in every time.

The problem with calling and seeing the river to then fold is, sometimes the villain is going to have AQ that turns into trips that then gets bet again on the river. Could the villain not also have K10 would the villain not bet the straight when the Q pairs on the river? Are we folding the straight to any bet?

If however you are correct and the villain's raising range is top 2 pair or sets only, always, never deviating and always calling all-in river bets with sets and 2 pairs even on four cards to a straight boards. Then yes you can call -fold when the Q or J pair.

What do you do though if the 9 pairs? Will this villain also not bet 2 pairs on the river and never ever tries to represent the K10 themselves or represent a full on the river when the 9 pairs and they hold QJ? Does this villain think you would never fold AA KK AQ on paired river boards so will always check showdown?

Hope this helps

:):)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Your decision was very good.You risked with the all-in and you were just unlucky, because you decision was better. The opponent was riskier when he saw a very possible straight and went all-in. It happens many times!

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a fine jam to make. I wouldn't look too far into the results of this hand, you got it in an 80% favorite with one card to go and he sucked out big time. Now, if the board had been paired already, I might elect to play it a little more cautiously, but in this case I agree with your line.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

On the turn you have 77% equity. The math says all-in every time.

The problem with calling and seeing the river to then fold is, sometimes the villain is going to have AQ that turns into trips that then gets bet again on the river. Could the villain not also have K10 would the villain not bet the straight when the Q pairs on the river? Are we folding the straight to any bet?

If however you are correct and the villain's raising range is top 2 pair or sets only, always, never deviating and always calling all-in river bets with sets and 2 pairs even on four cards to a straight boards. Then yes you can call -fold when the Q or J pair.

What do you do though if the 9 pairs? Will this villain also not bet 2 pairs on the river and never ever tries to represent the K10 themselves or represent a full on the river when the 9 pairs and they hold QJ? Does this villain think you would never fold AA KK AQ on paired river boards so will always check showdown?

Hope this helps

:):)

Thanks for the feedback, you've given me a few things to think about, i guess when i get coolered, I analyse the had repeatedly to make sure i played the hand as profitably as possible.

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play till river, would keep my chips to me. But after the river I probably would still put all in, majority of the time I just can't believe, that someone has better hand.

pac818man

pac818man

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hero K◇10◇

Thanks
The odds of hitting boats on the river after trips on the flop are about 1.8/4 or about 27%, depending on what you were playing for then yes you could have hung around a bit to see the river. Iv'e rarely seen anyone being pushed out after hitting a set on the flop. Again it depends on what table you are at. I've seen it maybe twice on 50/100 blinds. I don't remember ever seeing that on micro and low tables. If you hit set on the flop, more often than not you would want your opponent to go all in. The way I see it, if I am ahead when I go all in then its ok, i just hope my opponent plays the same way because i should be able to get him later. What if you held back and still lost all in after calling on the river?

B

BrunoIngrassia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's interesting slow game in any situation, not even with nuts

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon friend. Your opinion is correct. It also depends on why there are players who don't bet for nothing and at the slightest sign fold but if you are suspicious it pays as you bet 33% of the pot.:laugh:

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played absolutely good, its ok to play passively when you have the nuts. GL

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is normal for that to happen in poker, we remember that it is an unpredictable game and we are vulnerable to anything that happens on a blur and new account forget that hand and continue

B

brazilpescador

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing a nuts is hard, we have to find the best way to get rid of opponents who don't have a good game

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion: every hand played is right and next time there will be other situation and you may win or you may lose again and win next time, so I decide not to dig in those little moments and not to try to figure out how to play next time.

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest im done slow playing at micros when i have it im throwing it as so many people are just click happy and willing to call. Plus i always get shipped or flushed away lol

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my opponent is pot committed, then I will shove all in. I would rather win a small pot than lose a big pot. I don't want to get outdrawn by my opponent.