Play it Twice?

Leon Lafferty

Leon Lafferty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
While watching on TV, high stakes cash games, I've seen the players sometimes say they want to play it a second time. I know new cards are placed on the table to replace some on the first cards, but I don't remember which ones or how the betting works. If player 1 wins on the first 'hand', but player 2 wins the 2nd hand, how is the pot paid out? And is played a 2nd time if the are more than 2 players left at the showdown?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While watching on TV, high stakes cash games, I've seen the players sometimes say they want to play it a second time. I know new cards are placed on the table to replace some on the first cards, but I don't remember which ones or how the betting works. If player 1 wins on the first 'hand', but player 2 wins the 2nd hand, how is the pot paid out? And is played a 2nd time if the are more than 2 players left at the showdown?
there is no more betting. at this point, before the turn and/or river is shown, both players are all in. sometimes, they'll run the flop, turn, and river twice or more if players are all in preflop.

depending on how many times they decide to run it, the winning hand gets that percentage of a the pot. so, if they run it twice, winning hands get 50% of the pot. if player 1 wins once and player 2 wins once, they both get 50%. if player 1 wins both times, they get 100% of the pot. if they run it 3x, winning hands get 33.3% of the pot each time.

the number of players involved doesn't matter, they just all have to come to an agreement on how many times they'll run it. the purpose of this is to reduce variance since they're playing with such large amounts of money.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And this is strictly a cash game thing. In tournaments its not allowed to run it more than one time, because the whole idea of a tournament is to bust everyone, until one player has all the chips.

Leon Lafferty

Leon Lafferty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. That does clear up the confusion.