Overpair To The Flop

T

TwinkleTwinkle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've run into two situations in back-to-back micro stakes MTTs - both involve excellent pocket pairs and ragged flops. I don't remember the exact details of the hands, but can give an idea of what happened.

First situation is pretty early in the tournament - still probably an hour of late registration left. Hero has KK in CO. UTG+1 (villain) opens for 2x BB and I 3B to 6BB. Villain calls and we're heads up, with hero having villain covered. Flop comes 964 rainbow. Villain checks. Hero bets 50% pot and gets raised for about 1/3 my remaining stack by villain. Hero donk jams and villain snap calls and shows 66 which of course holds and I lose most of my stack. Obviously it was dumb to jam there as there are very few worse hands that call. Folding seems too nitty. So now I'm left with calling and probably getting it in on the turn if it's anything but an A. Am I destined to pay off villain here?

Next tournament hero is SB and has QQ. MP (villain) opens to 3BB and it folds around to hero who raises to 7BB. Villain calls and it is heads up to the flop. Again, flop is something like T72 rainbow. Hero makes 50% pot bet and gets raised which would put hero all in. The hand with KK that happened 45 minutes before bubbles up in hero's mind, but he can't find a fold. Hero calls and villain turns over 22 for bottom set.

Am I considered too entitled if I think because I have a great pocket pair and overpair to the flop I should just go the distance, no matter what the play of others are? Or are these easy folds - show strength preflop and on the flop but still run into a raise = you're beat? As I said before, it seems nitty to fold in both spots. If you're not willing to rumble with premium pocket pairs and a ragged flop, what hands are ever good enough?

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sets are great to disguise, no wonder you fell for the trick multiple times. Some things to consider: 3-bet harder preflop and, if called, be alert. If you 3-bet strong, like more than 3x the original bet, a lot of these small pairs will end up folding because they know if they can't find the set they are done for. If you end up getting called, be aware that you may be facing an actually good hand and practice some pot control strategies.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are definitely not easy folds, and you didn't even neceserily play them wrong. It's not entitled to think you have a great shot at winning the hands with those boards, but the thought of "I have a great pocket pair and overpair to the flop I should just go the distance, no matter what the play of others are?" is a bit entitled. Like I said, with these boards the play is fine, but there are many other boards where KK or QQ need to be thrown away even if they are overpairs.