Over applying your new found knowledge.

T

tribalbeast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK quick lesson I just learned about the affects my poker studies are having on my game.

You MUST keep studying and gameplay completely separate or you're in trouble. (if you're anything like me that is).

Examples of my misfortunes

Quick read on pot odds while i'm ripping a little mtt on stars and boom i'm in a hand out of position with 2-4 suited against five players simply because "i was getting a good price for the return" BUT WAIT I have a flush draw?! i cant fold now ... i think we know the end to this story ya?

Case is point number two , different ranges for different positions and what they most likely have if they're limping,raising,re-raising yadda yadda....WELL now in my mind every freaking guy limping from middle position has to have 10/Jo right? Cant possibly have AQ it just "doesnt hit his range" so now i'm basing all of my decisions off of that one small piece of information that is only scratching the surface of hand narrowing.

Just thought i'd share because i'm sure many players have done this or will do this.

SHAKE N BAKE BABY

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study one day, no poker. play one day, no studying.
Sometimes it is worst going into a game with fresh knowledge, cause your just beginning to apply it with almost no experience of how it can really be applied.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a big difference between having knowledge and being an expert. I could read a book about brain surgery but without a decade of experience you wouldn't want me applying my knowledge because I'm not an expert. I would recommend a phased approach to learning a new skill.

1. Learn something new.
  2. Research examples of using that new skill where you can watch people do it (when possible) then (if possible) watch for other players you are playing against use it and what the outcome is. There's a saying I love, "Only a fool learns from his mistakes, the wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
  3. Instead of applying it right away, sit through hands where you say to yourself, "if I had used that skill here, how would things have turned out".
  4. Then start using it cautiously. Learn what types of players the skill can and cannot work against. No skill works equally well against all player types. Except maybe folding.
  5. Finally, when you've gone through college, done your residency and taken part in some surgeries can you then cut into my brain and freak out over what you find. :ahhhhh:

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some will get lucky..

Hi folks,

I am all for learning and trying to apply it at the table. To my credit, I am much calmer of late since I have realized that many players have their own rules and abundance of luck.

Keep learning and practicing. Just remember that you will get the rewards over time for a greater percentage of the time but definitely not a 100%.

Chin up :)

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you can learn advanced poker concepts that have no place in low stakes games or against a table of recreational players

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
pokerstars was good at having you finish learning something at their Pokerschool then go apply it in some real games.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a big difference between having knowledge and being an expert. I could read a book about brain surgery but without a decade of experience you wouldn't want me applying my knowledge because I'm not an expert. I would recommend a phased approach to learning a new skill.
  1. Learn something new.
  2. Research examples of using that new skill where you can watch people do it (when possible) then (if possible) watch for other players you are playing against use it and what the outcome is. There's a saying I love, "Only a fool learns from his mistakes, the wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
  3. Instead of applying it right away, sit through hands where you say to yourself, "if I had used that skill here, how would things have turned out".
  4. Then start using it cautiously. Learn what types of players the skill can and cannot work against. No skill works equally well against all player types. Except maybe folding.
  5. Finally, when you've gone through college, done your residency and taken part in some surgeries can you then cut into my brain and freak out over what you find. :ahhhhh:

I just love this example. math is a problem for me, so after studying, I try my new "knowledge" out on a very low buy in. I used to be afraid to 3bet/4bet but, in a game you can afford to lose, seems easier to practice.

C

CJWilliam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is actually quite normal. It just takes time at the tables to find the balance of your new found knowledge.

johnhopkins

johnhopkins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very good advice

Study one day, no poker. play one day, no studying.
Sometimes it is worst going into a game with fresh knowledge, cause your just beginning to apply it with almost no experience of how it can really be applied.
I feel that this is true. No two days are alike and you learn something new each day.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
significance with which I play a poker

When that tried the technology acquired already faithfully, and didn't work, often, something new should flash into a head.

That's the significance with which I play a poker surely.

M

mpkr10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have definitely done this, and still do when I learn new things. I think most people do. When I learn something new I usually get worse than I was before, but then I get better than I was before.