Outs and Pot Odds

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a book called, "Poker Math" by James Chesterson. In the book he gives a chart outs odds and percentages. In the chart he lists the following:

5 outs 8.40-1 on the flop, 8.20-1 on the turn and 3.93-1 for the flop and turn
6 outs 6.83-1 on the flop, 6.67-1 on the turn and 3.15-1 for the flop and turn
7 outs 5.71-1 on the flop, 5.57-1 on the turn and 2.60- for the flop and turn

The chart lists outs like this from 1 out up to 20 outs. My question is this. Are these the outs for or against winning the hand? For example, if I have 7 outs on the flop does that mean I need a 6-1 pot for a good call on the flop?

Thanks,

Zer0-0uts

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you tried looking here?

https://www.cardschat.com/odds-for-dummies.php

I just stumbled across this today as I was exploring the site again after my lengthy absence. I feel as though this is directly related to what you are asking.

If you are just interested in "outs" these are the cards that will win you the pot if you are behind, the more outs you have the more likely you are to win the pot.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, if I have 7 outs on the flop does that mean I need a 6-1 pot for a good call on the flop?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:

Think of odds expressed this way as [number of times bad outcome will occur in a large sample]:[number of times good outcome will occur in a large sample].
So if your odds are 2:1, you will get the card you need one time in every three trials.
If your odds are 5.71:1, you will get the card you need one time in every 6.71 trials.

As you may know, the odds are important, but it's just one factor in deciding whether the call is good. Implied odds, the possibility of reverse implied odds, the likelihood of successfully bluffing on later streets, and the likelihood of being bluffed are among the other considerations.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you tried looking here?

https://www.cardschat.com/odds-for-dummies.php

I just stumbled across this today as I was exploring the site again after my lengthy absence. I feel as though this is directly related to what you are asking.

If you are just interested in "outs" these are the cards that will win you the pot if you are behind, the more outs you have the more likely you are to win the pot.
I have, I was asking more for the since of taking the charts I have and committing the outs ratios to memory. This will make it really easy for me to calculate the pot odds and know instantly if it is a good call or a fold in the heat of the battle. I think pot odds/out odds calculations is one of my biggest weaknesses. Committing the stuff to memory will help my game immensely.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator