Original Harrington Books or His Book on Modern Tournament Play

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I’am getting back into studying/playing live no-limit MTT’s, after years away from the game....specifically small to medium buy-in’s is what I’lI be playing mostly.
I first got into poker during the “poker boom” then life got crazy and I had to put the game on hold for a while. I’ve heard really good things about Harrington’s original books on MTT play, and although they’re old, I’ve heard they are still great solid foundational books for MTT strategy.
I’m aware that he came out with an “updated” book for tournament play a few years ago, and reviews seem to be mixed.
Am I better off studying his original books or would you recommend his updated book “Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker?”
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and THANK YOU!!!

sammy

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're better off studying the original books if you're still a beginner of sorts. The problem with Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker is that it focuses on general tournament concepts that you can already find online for free, or via a poker training website that has more up-to-date concepts than this book. After gaining a solid grasp of Harrington on Hold'em Volume One and Harrington on Hold'em Volume Two, I can only really recommend reading Kill Everyone or just get a training website subscription.

Hope this helps!

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely the originals. They are more focused on the science behind the game and will give you a solid foundation. Please remember these were written prior to the super aggressive play seem today, and you will need to find a resource to study this too. There a quite a few youtube channels covering this.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses....they are greatly appreciated!

I just wasn’t sure which books to go with. I’ve heard his original books are classics even in today’s game....but then there’s his “updated” version out there, problem is reviews seem to be mixed with that one.

So my dilemma was, do I read his original series on tournaments....which are classics BUT old? Or do I read and study his most recent book, which of coarse is more current but has mixed reviews?

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're better off studying the original books if you're still a beginner of sorts. The problem with Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker is that it focuses on general tournament concepts that you can already find online for free, or via a poker training website that has more up-to-date concepts than this book. After gaining a solid grasp of Harrington on Hold'em Volume One and Harrington on Hold'em Volume Two, I can only really recommend reading Kill Everyone or just get a training website subscription.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the reply....this definitely helps. I’ve heard good things about the Kill Everyone book and how it can loosen up your game if it’s tight.