Options for learning/playing in short spans?

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are there any good places to play that are good for learning strategy, but also flexible in terms of time? I'm not looking to grind for hours, as I just can't (don't want to) spend a solid chunk of time playing. I just want to be able to play somewhere where I can hone my skills a little at a time.

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you trying to play? Cash games, S-n-G's, MTT's? Real or Play money? What limits? What games for that matter?

The forum itself is a great place to being learning strategy, just read a few of the strategy articles out there when you have time. You also have the option of buying a book and ready that to help get you on the right track. As far as playing for only short periods of time, I would suggest you simply play cash games, you can play as little as one hand at a time if you want (I wouldn't suggest this, it seems kind of silly but you get the point).

What sites are you a member of?

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's simple Just download the pokerstars App for smartphone that you can play anywhere do you agree?

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you trying to play? Cash games, S-n-G's, MTT's? Real or Play money? What limits? What games for that matter?

The forum itself is a great place to being learning strategy, just read a few of the strategy articles out there when you have time. You also have the option of buying a book and ready that to help get you on the right track. As far as playing for only short periods of time, I would suggest you simply play cash games, you can play as little as one hand at a time if you want (I wouldn't suggest this, it seems kind of silly but you get the point).

What sites are you a member of?

I actually don’t know what cash game vs SNG means, so I don’t think I could give an answer. I do know I would like to play real money, though maybe micro at this point while I’m still learning. Also, I’d prefer games where I can cash out vs tourneys (winner take all?) at this time, though I think everyone suggests freerolls which are always tourneys?

I’m not yet a member of any sites, so would appreciate any US friendly recommendations.

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you want to play cash games then. That way you can play for as short or as long as you want, you are free to leave at any point after you sit down. And yes freerolls are tournaments but people just suggest them because it lets you get an understanding of the basic gameplay without risking any real money, plus they have the added bonus of the possibility of real money prizes if you do well.

As far as sites for US players, I am an odd ball and play on Global Poker because I really like being able to use paypal, but most people will tell you to try Americas Card Room. I have an account there as well but have not played much at all, I really just got it to join in the occasional CC game.

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your here

cc is a great place to learn and study about hands dude.....look around on the site its great baby.....remember...read read read and play play play baby:cool:

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for your responses!

I'll look into cash games and the articles on this site. I'll also give ACR a try.

Do you have to deposit anything in order to withdraw any winnings from a freeroll? I also see a bonus on their site, but I'm not sure if I should put some money in now while I'm learning. The upside of deposit is that I can get a bonus, the downside being the money could be stuck in there for quite a while if there are a bunch of rules about how and when you can withdraw.