Opening range UTG

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless the table is one that I think is very soft my opening range UTG is AJ off + and pocket pairs 9 or better in a 9 handed format. This is a pretty tight range and am thinking it may be too tight. What is your opening range UTG and specifically what do you think about opening hands like KQ suited , KJ suited , J10 suited, and KQ and KJ off against the normal tables that you play against? I feel like opening those hands is probably chip + EV overall but is something I feel more scared off then anything else.

Last edited:
A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely have suited broadways in your UTG range. AJo, KQo, 77 are usually bottom of my ranges. I will mix in some ATo and KJo at certain tables or stack depths. Don't usually go much worse with pairs.
I think the biggest thing is knowing the types of players you are at a table with. My range definitely trends more like yours above when every hand seems to go 5 ways to the flop.

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp: 55, 66, 77, 88, 99
Raise: TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ, AJ, ATs, KJs, KQs
I limp with small pairs in order to see a cheap flop because the rest of players might think that I want to trap them with a big reraise if they raise me. But the truth is that I will just fold if they raise over 3 bb blinds.

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Range under the gun

Generally I agree with your range. Fold any pair under 9's, fold worse than A10. I hate limping, so if I am staying in I am probably going to 3 bet. That way I know where I am at. If I am raised pre-flop with a poor hand, I might call - if the player is loose. Unless I hit the flop, I am probably checking to see what happens. It is an easy fold from there.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do 88+ AJs+ (not AJo) sometimes 77

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in this position I open with aqs, aks, 1010+

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the tournament, the table, and the moment.

For example, in daily CC tournaments I tend to stay tight. But if I perceive it to be a very passive table I can add many suited connectors to my range. That makes my hands less readable and I don't expect much hero call or 3bet bluff.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I typically will play 10s or better, J10s or better and AJo or better. Depending on my opponents I will make adjustments to either tighten or loosen that range.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unless the table is one that I think is very soft my opening range UTG is AJ off + and pocket pairs 9 or better in a 9 handed format. This is a pretty tight range and am thinking it may be too tight. What is your opening range UTG and specifically what do you think about opening hands like KQ suited , KJ suited , J10 suited, and KQ and KJ off against the normal tables that you play against? I feel like opening those hands is probably chip + EV overall but is something I feel more scared off then anything else.

'It depends' ;)
but if weak'ish' table it's this> 66+ ATs+ , AJo+, KQs+ 87s+ (98s, T9s, JTs),
(& depending on the table I might even add in A5s, 76s)

This range is for if it's not an aggressive table. I feel we're able to represent a strong range from EP on many flops. "open-raise... CB an A94 flop with 53s feels kinda good ;) ... or an A42 ;) :) "

P.S. I just opened with 97s in EP on ~50bb effective stacks... but a large 3B from MP followed by a massive 4B jam by HJ quickly shut down that plan, lol.

Last edited:
C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with big stacks after me I even like to open wider like 10% or 11%. Of course everything depends ;) But I like to open low suited aces like A2s-A5s. I don't like limp as well, so with small pp I prefer to fold.