Omaha practice

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first omaha game was a long time ago, it always seemed as a very good game to catch fish because of so many players that get into game not even knowing the rules, first of all, the rule about having to use exactly 2 cards from the hand.

Still, I lack the confidence about what hands to play pre-flop. Sometimes I feel like I am folding very good holdings, or perhaps I am folding correctly, but I stay with the wrong feeling that I should have called instead.

Not wanting to risk money learning, I started playing Pot Limit Omaha with play money on pokerstars.

Would like to hear suggestions as to where to learn a bit more about the game. I don't need the basics, as I cover that, but a place to learn some finesse!

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My first omaha game was a long time ago, it always seemed as a very good game to catch fish because of so many players that get into game not even knowing the rules, first of all, the rule about having to use exactly 2 cards from the hand.

Still, I lack the confidence about what hands to play pre-flop. Sometimes I feel like I am folding very good holdings, or perhaps I am folding correctly, but I stay with the wrong feeling that I should have called instead.

Not wanting to risk money learning, I started playing Pot Limit Omaha with play money on Pokerstars.

Would like to hear suggestions as to where to learn a bit more about the game. I don't need the basics, as I cover that, but a place to learn some finesse!
I am also playing Omaha for a short time and the way I am training and playing with lie money, but there is a course teaching the game

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am also playing Omaha for a short time and the way I am training and playing with lie money, but there is a course teaching the game

What course would that be? something online?

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way it was explained to me was you like to see double-suited connectors or pairs. Once the flop comes down, you need to have the nuts or be drawing to it to continue. Staying in with anything less requires fine-tuned, high-end thinking; or so I’m told.

Honestly, I don't have the interest to want to be able to think deep in that game. It's just too flop dependent and that takes away the subtle nuisances of poker for me. I don't need to read you or put you on a range or anything like that because I either flopped it or I didn't and I'll either fade your draw or I won't. Seriously, most hands are battles between the guy who flopped a monster and a guy who has 18 outs to beat that monster. But, because hitting the board hard and have strong draws is common, it’s an action game. Lots of betting and lots of lead changes. You know how it feels to flop the nuts only to get beat by runner-runner? Yeah, PLO is a lot like that, except there’s so many more viable and playable combinations of runner-runner that it happens like every third hand. Don’t get me wrong. I can totally see the appeal of that for those who like to gamble a bit and thrive on action, but that’s not me.

Then again I haven’t played it that much and I could have it all wrong.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play Omaha to me the best staring hands are when all 4 cards are connected and double suited. Suited aces also play really well as well as suited Broadway cards. Flops that are rainbow and not connected are good flops to bluff on. But the most important thing to me is position.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Not wanting to risk money learning, I started playing Pot Limit Omaha with play money on Pokerstars.

I play some real cheap mtt on acr , $0.25 buyin , I think practice makes perfect, there're some plo books out there , I wouldn't play the fake money games anymore though, but micro mtt should be fine , very winnable , I think you have to find your own rhythm in the games , but all good , good poker and see you at the tables :)

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like Omaha very much but a friend of mine told me that at unibet you can play Bounty Omaha freeroll .The tourneys happens through all the day but you have to pay attention because the registration ends quickly .

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play Omaha to me the best staring hands are when all 4 cards are connected and double suited. Suited aces also play really well as well as suited Broadway cards. Flops that are rainbow and not connected are good flops to bluff on. But the most important thing to me is position.

I know what would be the best starting hands but I am not 100% sure about the bottom end of my range that I should play.

For example, in regular hold'em I know I can play suited connectors like T9s or 89s from certain position and in certain spots. Those hands are far from the best possible hands like AA/KK .
What I need to further improve my skills, is that range, like what would be a hand that is ok to play with.

For example, JsJh7s6c on the BU, is it a call or re-raise. Or even fold?
Is that hand better starting hand then maybe AsKh4s4c or something like that...

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hope you realize that there is a difference between Omaha and Omaha8(Hi/Lo). In regular Omaha there is only the high hand that wins. So any hole card hand with big cards is playable.
In OmahaH/L one can win ether the high hand, low hand( if there is one), or both. Starting hands are rather different because of the possibility of splits. Double suited, double connected hands are premium, but usually difficult to get.
Some small card hands ( Omaha H/L ) are also worth a look at the flop, but take a bit of skill to know where you are in the hand.
ACR has a 9 player 1.65$ PLO8 SNG thats good to practice on ( if it ever fills up, takes some time ). They also have 3$ game that fills up quicker, but the players are regs and play for blood. ( I'm too cheap, and still getting the feel for it, so it's better to shadow the game and watch what works ).

Good Luck on your learning adventure, and get ready for a wild ride!

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get a deck of cards and start running Omaha hands over and over and over . See what hand strength normally drags the pot. Start saving your money . Build a small PLO bankroll . Play the smallest Limit you can. That is the best teacher playing for money. Best advice I can give is not to get married to Bad Aces in PLO.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What course would that be? something online?
In the own of the software sites there are courses, an example in the site of the pokerstar exister the course teaching to play omaha