Odds.

T

TravieWinnin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I hope somebody can answer this and I'm sure you guys can. So after the Flop comes out and let's say I have a 4-6 suited and a flop comes out and 278 that matches my suit. Now the turn and the river I got four out of five for a straight and actually let's say I got four out of five for a flush as well with a turn in the river left what are my odds hitting on the straight and on the flush? Please answer because I am getting my ass cracked every time that I chase anyting a flush or a straight but every time I don't it seems like it hits. I know that that's just the way the cards fall but if anyone could help me out with the what's the odds on that I'd appreciate it.

R

Rodriguesxr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tink the straight draw is have Good odds but the flush draw can loose for a better flush. Play with carefull...i guess

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that that's just the way the cards fall but if anyone could help me out with the what's the odds on that I'd appreciate it.
The best choice is to study all these odds off-the-felt so that you can apply the knowledge on the felt.

A simple calculation is the 4 and 2 rule. On the flop you can multiply your # of outs by either 4 or 2 to get an idea of your chances to improve the hand.

To simplify the rule I think it would be something like
  • on the flop if you plan to see BOTH the turn and river then multiply the number of outs * 4
  • on the flop if you only plan to see the turn then multiply the number of outs * 2
  • on the turn then multiply the number of outs * 2 to get an idea of the % chance to improve by the river
So if you have :4d4: :6d4: and the flop comes :2d4: :6c4: :5d4:

Then you have both straight and a flush draw.

Any 3 will make you a straight. There are 4 of these in the deck :3d4: :3c4: :3s4: :3h4: . So you can do the math like this
  • if you plan to stay in to the river you can do 4 * 4 = 16% chance you will hit one of the 3s in the deck
  • if you ONLY plan to stay to see the turn then 4 * 2 = 8% chance you'll hit a 3 on the turn
Any of the 9 diamonds will make you a flush :ad4: :3d4: :7d4: :8d4: :9d4: :10d4: :jd4: :qd4: :kd4: we can do the same math
  • if you plan to stay in to the river you can do 9 * 4 = 36% chance you will hit one of the remaining diamonds in the deck
  • if you ONLY plan to stay to see the turn then 9 * 2 = 18% chance you will hit one of the remaining diamonds in the deck
Hope this idea helps!

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator