Odds

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rather than the usual method of calculating your odds, is there any merit in the method I was thinking of (probably rubbish, but it's different). You still need to know the pot odds, but you calculate the odds of the number still in the pot. If there are say 4 in the pot, the odds of winning are 3/1. The pot odds must be greater than these odds to make it viable. I know there are a shed load of variables that come as baggage. but you will know after the flop whether or not to proceed.

ezgift

ezgift

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course you need to calculate the pot odds. especially when 1 opponent against you

A

agentcc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds are important but implied odds also be a big part of poker as in if the call is small but doesn't really make sense but you have read you're opponent to be the type to be married to their hands then pot odds kind of go out the window. But as a rule pot odds matter and they matter a lot when you're playing with smaller stacks.

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with pot odds and play them all the time and will fold any hand if the odds are not good. How close to the pot odds will you play in a small pot, when your hand odds are marginally larger than the pot odds eg hand odds 5/1, pot odds 9/2 on the flop and 3 other players active? Are at least equal odds a must for you?

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator