Is that now a CBet on the River?

B

Berndsson90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys!

I was studying some hand history scenarios with my HEM3 HUD and came across a scenario I couldn't categorise properly.

Preflop: Villain opens, Hero calls from BB.
Flop: Hero checks, Villain checks back.
Turn: Hero bets/leads after missed CBet, Villain calls.
River: Hero bets, Villain calls.

Question:
How does Heros River bet classify? Is it a CBet since he took the lead on the Turn, so now he's technically CBetting on the River? How does HEM3 classify those bets in that scenario?

Additionally: Is a River CBet strictly and only if you have been betting Preflop, Flop AND Turn without checking?

Would be great if you could help me clarifying those things if you can :)

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! Are you sure you fully understand Cbet?
I like the course of Collin Moshman and Katie Dozen, they said on the river only two options - a value bet or a bluff bet.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/day-8/
Bet on flop after preflop bet is Cbet. Bet on turn after preflop bet and flop check is deferred Cbet I heard.
Your question, I think, looks like a value bet.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are just asking what to call the bets based on action without knowing any of the cards involved. The turn bet would be considered a probe bet.

A probe bet is when you bet out of position into a player who had an opportunity to continuation bet on the prior street, but didn’t.

As for the river bet, it would either be a value bet or a bluff bet depending on your hand and what your trying to accomplish by betting.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys!

I was studying some hand history scenarios with my HEM3 HUD and came across a scenario I couldn't categorise properly.

Preflop: Villain opens, Hero calls from BB.
Flop: Hero checks, Villain checks back.
Turn: Hero bets/leads after missed CBet, Villain calls.
River: Hero bets, Villain calls.

Question:
How does Heros River bet classify? Is it a CBet since he took the lead on the Turn, so now he's technically CBetting on the River? How does HEM3 classify those bets in that scenario?

Additionally: Is a River CBet strictly and only if you have been betting Preflop, Flop AND Turn without checking?

Would be great if you could help me clarifying those things if you can :)

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just so you know how PT4 (and I assume most people) define the cbets.

CBet Flop: Percentage of the time that a player bet the flop given that he had a chance to do so and he made the last raise preflop.

CBet Turn: Percentage of the time that a player bet the turn given that he continuation bet the flop and had a chance to do so.

CBet River: Percentage of the time that a player bet the river given that he had a chance to do so and he was the last preflop raiser and bet the flop and turn.
So, your bet on the river is not a C-Bet. It is only a C-Bet if you were the last raiser pre-flop, bet the flop, bet the turn, and then bet the river. Your bet doesn't really have a specific name, that I know of. It's just a river bet. Likewise, if you check the flop or turn, it isn't a river c-bet. There are delayed c-bets (which means you do check the flop and bet on the turn or river when no one else has taken the lead from you after you had it pre-flop). Still, you didn't have the pre-flop lead, so you aren't c-betting.

B

Berndsson90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just so you know how PT4 (and I assume most people) define the cbets.

So, your bet on the river is not a C-Bet. It is only a C-Bet if you were the last raiser pre-flop, bet the flop, bet the turn, and then bet the river. Your bet doesn't really have a specific name, that I know of. It's just a river bet. Likewise, if you check the flop or turn, it isn't a river c-bet. There are delayed c-bets (which means you do check the flop and bet on the turn or river when no one else has taken the lead from you after you had it pre-flop). Still, you didn't have the pre-flop lead, so you aren't c-betting.

Yeah I thought it wasn't a CBet anymore, was just not sure how the program might work with it and how it classifies this specific bet on the River and thought I throw that in as an off chance I might have misunderstood the concept of CBets entirely all the time. Luckily I didn't, so that's a relief 😂

If you say it doesn't have a name, how does PT4 define that bet as a stat? It must fall into a category there, right? Maybe it's called sth like "Bet after Flop Check and Turn Bet", wasn't sure where I'd have that pop up afterwards. On the Turn it might be called Probe bet in PT4, doesn't classify as a donk as there wasn't a Flop Bet of any kind. But still the statistic name for that River bet then just needs finding in the programs database for me.

It's a very specific scenario, so might just be named weirdly in the program.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Custom filter because I don't think it is a specific stat.

The following (see attached photo) should work. This makes sure you "could" c-bet, but checked the flop. You bet turn, and bet river.

If you want it to be when you take the lead from someone else, you want to change it a bit. Probably called raise pre-flop, checked flop (and NOT called bet on flop), bet turn, bet river. It might take a bit of playing around to get this working for the hands you want.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5