c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a Book: 2-7 Triple Draw

Introduction

So I like to play pretty much every poker game under the sun. Thus, in an effort to get more players in these games, I’m planning to write a series of articles on playing non-hold’em games. They’re designed to be very very short (500 words or less, plus the hand chart). They’ll include a very rough hand chart which gives general sklansky-esque ranks to the hands. So here we go, in 500 words or less, 2-7 Triple draw.

Rules

2-7 triple draw is a low-ball game, which means you're trying to make the worst hand possible. The best hand you can possibly make is 75♠4♠3♠2♠. If I had a 7♠ instead of the 7, I'd have a flush (not good). If I had a 6 instead of the 7, I'd have a straight (also not good). Aces are high (and thus, bad) in this game. As the name implies, you get three chances to draw. More Detailed Rules Here

Terminology

Pat hand – A hand where you don’t intend to draw anymore. Example: a pat jack could be J8642.

Smooth – A hand that is structured from the bottom up. A smooth eight draw would be 8432.

Rough – The opposite of smooth. The roughest pat nine would be 98764.

Snow - To bluff your opponents, usually by standing pat on a hand that wouldn't win at showdown, and betting all the way until the end.

Your Edge - The main ways you make money against bad players.
  1. Drawing to better hands (smoother) than your opponents.
  2. Betting skills (knowing when to value bet, when to bluff, ect.)
  3. Playing more pots in position, and more pots against one opponent.
Key Odds to Know

A pat jack is a small favorite over a one card draw if there is one draw to go and you are against only one opponent. So lets say you get to the last draw, and you have J6432. If your opponent draws one card in front of you, you should stand pat and check the river. If you are against two opponents, you need a pat ten to be a favorite (~40% equity). Don't do this out of position much, as you do not know if your opponent is still drawing or not.

Pre-draw Betting Strategy

Before any draws are made, your betting strategy should be centered around getting heads up. You should be raising if your raise has any hope at knocking a player to act after you out of the hand. So raise & re-raise if you decide to play a hand.

Post-draw Strategy Rules

• If you are one card (or more) ahead of your opponent, bet. So on the first draw, if you draw one card, and your opponent draws two cards, you should always bet the next betting round.
  • Always draw to an eight or better. Don’t draw to a 9 or worse.
  • If you still have a 2 card draw after one draw, you can continue for 1 small bet.
  • Don't draw two on the final draw.
  • If you have to choose between drawing to a better hand or standing pat on a rough one, draw out of position, stand pat in position.
  • If you make an eight low or better, go to showdown.
  • If you both drew on the last draw, don't fold the river, and value-bet any jack or better. Even small pairs like 87633 are probably worth a call.
Starting Hand Chart

Hands I Don't Fold, Predraw
  • Any pat 8 low or better. (87653, ect.)
  • Any 1 card seven draw that contains a deuce. (7432, 7652, ect.)
  • Any 1 card 86 low draw that contains a deuce or trey. (8653, ect.)
  • Any premium 2 card seven draw. (752, 742, 732, 542, 532, 432)
The worst hands I raise UTG with in a 6-max game
  • Any 1 card eight draw that isn't a straight draw. (8763, ect.)
  • The other 2 card seven draws that contain a deuce. (762, 652, 642, 632)
  • The 2 card draws that can make the smoothest eight that contain a deuce. (852, 842, 832).
Crap I play when I know I'm in position, against one player I can control
  • 2-card eight draws that don't suck. (843, 853, 862, 863)
  • The following bad 1 card draws. (7653, 7643, 7543)
Junk I steal with on the button, or play in BB when the SB raises.
  • Junk 1 card eight draws. (8764, 8754, 8654)
  • 872, 873, 743, 753
  • The good three card draws. (72, 52, 42, 32)
Word Count, excluding the Hand Chart & Intro: 499
Total Word Count: 790

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is awesome!!! Can't wait for more and thank you for taking the time to do this.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sense that the win is great within you.

Awesome post.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a great strategy guide for anyone wanting to give this game a try. C9 is the man

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks C9, I have been playing the 8 game and while at first this game seemed really cool, I will admit it is probably my weakest link in the bunch.
This helps.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Do you have any detailed strategy on the other low game, Razz, c9.

Thanks for this concise and detailed.

Salty Mouse

Salty Mouse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like what you're doing here.

I love 2-7, but single-draw.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm I think I played this once when I was drunk and someone got me to play an 8 game (I only ever play holdem) so I am going to ask you some very very basic questions lol.

Do you think that playing this game will in anyway change or benifit your thinking in other games?

Why should people play this game?

Do these games run often and how soft are they?

I may try play a game sometime over the weekend using this guide and will let you know how I go.

Oh and nice post, thanks.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think that playing this game will in anyway change or benifit your thinking in other games?
Certainly. Relearning any new game gives you fundamental insights into others.

Why should people play this game?
If they think its fun? I also happen to think its one of the limit games with the biggest edge. This is for 3 reasons:

1) You can often get fish into situations where they're drawing dead (since they won't break junk pat hands, or they'll draw to super rough 8's or 9's).
2) Its easy to get players to fold the river in this game, and thus bluffing them causes them to make a catastrophic mistake.
3) Position is more important in this game than in any other since there are 7 actions (4-betting rounds, 3 draws) which you get to act last on, rather than the usual 4 or 5 for hold'em & stud games.

However, the variance in this game can be quite high.

Do these games run often and how soft are they?
Yeah, stars usually has one table going at most limits, and its played in 8-game mixes. The game is probably one of the softest games in the 8 game mix.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love 2-7 TD, 1 of my fave games actually.

Great read & advice. Thanks

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C9....Thanks for the strategy. I always love playing this as part of the 8-game rotation. I am going to give it a go using your strategy.

Can all of the rules you applied here also work when playing as part of the 8-game rotation or are there obvious adjustments. Also what if you are playing in an 8-Game SnG or MTT? Same rules apply? Or is this not advisable to play SnG or MTT?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This works for 8 game (obviously) since its the same game. For a MTT when you're really shallow stacked, you probably need to steal wider, as starting hands run really close in value for this game.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there some place you can practice playing 2-7 lowball against the computer?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C9 still venture in the forums at all?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice summary guidelines sir.

I like the triple draw than the single one.

Whats nice with triple draw is, you know when youre leading/trailing.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post! How about a "not a book" on Razz?

didem95

didem95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. My local poker room hosts freeroll razz games every night so if anyone can redirect me to a similar advice-based text on razz that would be great.