MTT Advice/teach us how to play

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, looking for some advice here. Now please tell me how to win or run deep into a big field MTT? From start to finish please. Just need to know what kind of hands to play like tight or loss and all other things a pro would do. This is my first post ever so please take it easy and thanks you for your time. :)

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to disappoint you, But if we really knew how to run deep and win large field MTT's constantly, we wouldn't have much time to respond.

Best advice we can give is to study the game religiously, practice constantly, review and revise consistently.

The game is a dynamic beast, with mood swings worst then PMS.
There will be ups, downs, and wtf's.
Learning how to deal with each is just as important as learning the basics.

Best of Luck my friend, the road ahead is long and hard. But the rewards are well worth it in the long run!

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are whole books and websites dedicated to this and even then, success is not guaranteed. It is simply not possible to give you everything you need to know to play well in MTT in a post.

There is a strategy section on cardschat that will give you some basics... there are other websites that will do this. I will also suggest you take time to study away from the table on top of your playing and then slowly add to your repertoire. Books I’ve read that I’ve found very helpful is the Harrington on Holdem series (3 book in total)... and Kill Everyone by Nelson, Heston & Streib. I’ve also read The Mental Game of Poker (by Carter and Tendler) and planning to also read vol 2.

Now, if you will plan to read up a lot, familiarize yourself with the abbreviations. It’s a whole other language out there but it will help you understand what you are reading. I can’t give a link to where to find it as I’m posting from a tablet but just google “poker abbreviations”.

Good luck.

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys for your time, I have done few books and countless video but I'm confused what I really want to know.
So for MTT we still play our solid range from start to finish? (tight in start lose in middle stage? I know there will be bad beats and all other dramas but let say if you lucky enf can you still run deep with playing solid range? All incl. Shove range on 15 BB:)

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys for your time, I have done few books and countless video but I'm confused what I really want to know.
So for MTT, we still play our solid range from start to finish? (tight in start lose in middle stage? I know there will be bad beats and all other dramas but let say if you lucky enf can you still run deep with playing solid range? All incl. Shove range on 15 BB:)
I think a lot of people would say that playing tight & aggressive would be best in early stages of the tournament as people typically do crazy things to try to double their stack off the bat. Once you feel that things are settling down, you can start to play your game.

As your M (or CSI) goes down (as blinds go up), you begin to have to get a bit more aggressive, which includes stealing some blinds here and there and do what you can to take advantage of fishy plays. But the general idea is to play aggressively throughout the tournament (your opening range changes as you adapt to your table).

If your stack is decent and you are approaching the bubble, it's best to go more aggressively after middle stacks (as they are typically most concerned about busting out of the tourney before those with the shortest stacks). Once the bubble bursts, I've found that that it can get initially chaotic as the blinds are high relative to stack sizes and people who have really tightened up during bubble do more crazy things to get more chips.

After a while, you're gonna have to widen ranges or else the blinds will eat you up. And if you make it to the final table... well, just play your game and stay aggressive. Play to win... not just to get a higher place in the tournament.

That's what I'd think is the normal "flow" of an MTT should look like... but others here can probably offer better wisdom about this.

Good luck!

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thread to end all threads.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play a lot and learn from your mistakes

You won't be able to learn poker within a few months. It takes a lot of time and tournaments to become a better player

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, looking for some advice here. Now please tell me how to win or run deep into a big field MTT? From start to finish please. Just need to know what kind of hands to play like tight or loss and all other things a pro would do. This is my first post ever so please take it easy and thanks you for your time. :)

I would be flexible in your approach as every table and tournament is different and depends on the players. I would start playing tight aggressive but adapt to the table. Goal is to grow your stack as the blinds increase. Start widening your hand selection if you find your stack size is diminishing and your lose fold equity. Good Luck!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA,KK,QQ,AK suited, JJ ,1010, AQ suited AJ suited KQ suited
Wait for a top ten hand always raise 3x+ and/or reraise possibly all in preflop.
Fold Kq and AJ to preflop raises

fold everything else alot ,
no suited connectors,
no small pairs........... unless under 10bbs and shoving all in preflop
fold fold fold alot
When under 10 BB in cutoff or button position Shove all in with any Ax+ k10+ hoping for a blind steal.

This will only get you so far as an ABC strategy
short handed play
understanding your opponents strategy tendancys and tells is another story
This strategy will make you completely predictable to great players
Against low stakes opponents they are usually too involved in what cards they have as to notice an opponents PFR frequency or range.

Phill hellmuth wrote a small 2-4 page chapter on how to win MTTS in his book Phill Hellmuth's guide to limit holdem is definitely the greatest read I've had for poker GT.
there is no shortcut to this infinite game.
Some people are learning to play the cards while others are now learning to play without them.

Have fun out there its a big ocean

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So for MTT we still play our solid range from start to finish? (tight in start lose in middle stage? I know there will be bad beats and all other dramas but let say if you lucky enf can you still run deep with playing solid range? All incl. Shove range on 15 BB:)

Playing more tight in the beginning is smart as it’s easier to lose chips than win them. A lot of of people like a tight-aggressive strategy.

But suggestion would be don’t play huge pots with only top pair. Somebody probably has better. Be tight out of position but a little looser in position, like on the button. The reason is you will win more often in position than out of position even if you don’t hit the board. Plus you can see others weakness if they are just checking to you instead of lead betting.

O

OLexZTS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
charts

Hello to all, who what charts of starting hands use? I am interested in a multi-table tournament poker. I will be glad to prompts connect with the this subject.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all, who what charts of starting hands use? I am interested in a multi-table tournament poker. I will be glad to prompts connect with the this subject.

just Google 'push/fold charts'

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take this for what its worth...

Step 1 - develop a good understanding of the basic fundamentals of the game.

Step 2 - learn about the importance of position at the table, bet sizing and start learning your odds.

Step 3 - put together a basic strategy based on your basic knowledge and start thinking deeper into hand ranges.

From that point on just learn all you can from those willing to teach...

Jonathan Little has tons of MTT content for free on YouTube and his website offers lots more for paying members.

Upswing poker also has lots of useful free info as well as some payable options as well and they are always getting good reviews.

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys and yes playing a good range works very well, played 7.50$ mtt on poker stars with field about 600 players. Won every pot I played with solid starting hands(post flop ਦ play) but lost all other or few hands when I try bluff or missed my flop. I finished 49th I think but its because I made so many mistakes trying bluffs or played weak hand at start. Like I was BB with K6s btn min raise everyone fold I defend then flopped kxx board. Lead it till turn check river to see AK and lost that pot. It was a huge pot also. But yes thanks for the tips. Also to mention every time I lost a pot I didn't think it was a luck it was just my bad decision. ����

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like I was BB with K6s btn min raise everyone fold I defend then flopped kxx board. Lead it till turn check river to see AK and lost that pot. It was a huge pot also. But yes thanks for the tips. Also to mention every time I lost a pot I didn't think it was a luck it was just my bad decision. ����

Word of advice...if you are going to defend with K6s - dont look to out money in with a K...look for a 6 or the flush draw. More often than not your K is no good as you already found out in this hand

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Play good starting hands
Avoid putting yourself in tough situations
Be patient
Have fun
Hope for a little luck

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice practice practice. There is no substitute for it. Put in your time on and off the felt.