Which MTT?

StephanJR

StephanJR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I'm new player of online poker. Which MTT's is the good one? Micro MTTs are so difficult to me. Because most of the players just push all-in with Q5o, 106o etc. How to avoid it?

MrMagoo305

MrMagoo305

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I'm new player of online poker. Which MTT's is the good one? Micro MTTs are so difficult to me. Because most of the players just push all-in with Q5o, 106o etc. How to avoid it?
I feel your pain my friend.. But after months of playing Micro MTTs. I figure out the formula to make it at least ITM. Let the players Take themselves out and play in late position with dominating hands. That way if they all go All in early position, you could jump ship and save some chips. I've gotten my Aces crack in early position more times that I could count. Do to the fact that these Bingo players in the Micro stakes just want to get lucky with any 2 Cards. Especially went it's multi pot going around and have 3 or 4 players going All in. Just wait for the middle stage of the Tournament and mostly all the Donks will be eliminated. The Micro MTTs are a good start for building your bankroll. Good luck at the tables!!

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should stick to micros if you don't have big bankroll. To avoid the gamblers play really tight early on and wait for them to knock themselves out. Usually mid-late micro MTTs are fairly good.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You do not need to avoid anything. Just be patient, play with good cards, use the mistakes of your opponents, and at a distance you will always make a profit.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

My advice to any new MTT grinder looking to take poker serious enough to try and make money from it is to play proper bankroll management - have 100‐150 buy ins for your tournament play -- and i definitely recommend starting in the micros. Its a common misconception players have that if they move up in stakes all the terrible players aren't there, people play better and respect your bets, etc. -- the reality is that if you cannot beat the player pools in the micros, then you will certainly not be able to beat the higher buy ins. The micros are certainly swingy and can be very spazzy, but these are the players you can beat eaaasily and on the regular basis. Take it as sort of a right of passage - when you are crushing micros, move up and start crushing that level too.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micro MTTs are so difficult to me. Because most of the players just push all-in with Q5o, 106o etc. How to avoid it?

Facing an all in preflop is probably the easiest situation of any in poker, since you only have two options, call or fold, and you only need to consider your hand, the effective stack size, position of the player jamming, your own position and potential reads like for instance, that the player is very loose.

As soon as you get into postflop play, things get way more complicated. But maybe what you really mean is, that you dont enjoy playing against loose and wild opponents, or you dont enjoy being all in before the flop. This is ok, but then you must first of all realise, you are a recreational player. This is because, players, that stack off way to wide, are the easiest of all to beat. So being in a game with such players mean you are in a very profitable game. And if you are playing for profit, you of course want to find profitable games.

If you are more concerned about "playing a good game", yeah then maybe move up a little bit, like lets say 5,5$ tournaments, and preferable those that have a slow structure and start with deep stacks. Could be something like the "big fish" on 888 Poker. And then make a budget. If you are willing to spend 50$ per month on poker, that will allow you to play two tournaments every weekend, and if you win something, you can increase the volume.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I completely agree with some of the other responses, but to reiterate some key points:

- Bankroll Management is key. If you're just starting out a minimum of 100 buy-ins is a must. That means if you're playing $0.55, you need $55, if you're playing $1.10, you need $110, if you're playing a mix, you need $82.50 and if you drop below this level; you need to drop down levels.

- Don't play above your bankroll to avoid donks. Trust me; they are still there, but there are also a lot more better players as well, so it is even harder to increase your roll. If you can't beat $1.10, you're not going to beat $2.20 and so on.

- Don't get drawn in to playing junk. Play a good fundamentally sound game. That may look like raising to 3BB's with A9s in middle position and then folding when the Button shoves 150BB's in the first hand of the tournament. Play slightly tighter in earlier positions. Slightly looser in later positions and make them pay when you have a monster.

- Get to the middle/late stages. By this point, the majority of the idiots have knocked each other out and you can start to play "normal" poker.

- Don't think everyone is an idiot. You can still play normal poker at the start of tournaments against the other reasonable players; you need to be able to adapt from hand to hand, depending on who is in it and what their actions are.

- Don't be afraid to lose. When you have a premium hand, and one of these players shoves all-in for the 5th hand in a row, don't be scared to call, just because he's won against the other donks.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's best to try from the free roll first as expected.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely agree with some of the other responses, but to reiterate some key points:

- Bankroll Management is key. If you're just starting out a minimum of 100 buy-ins is a must. That means if you're playing $0.55, you need $55, if you're playing $1.10, you need $110, if you're playing a mix, you need $82.50 and if you drop below this level; you need to drop down levels.

- Don't play above your bankroll to avoid donks. Trust me; they are still there, but there are also a lot more better players as well, so it is even harder to increase your roll. If you can't beat $1.10, you're not going to beat $2.20 and so on.

- Don't get drawn in to playing junk. Play a good fundamentally sound game. That may look like raising to 3BB's with A9s in middle position and then folding when the Button shoves 150BB's in the first hand of the tournament. Play slightly tighter in earlier positions. Slightly looser in later positions and make them pay when you have a monster.

- Get to the middle/late stages. By this point, the majority of the idiots have knocked each other out and you can start to play "normal" poker.

- Don't think everyone is an idiot. You can still play normal poker at the start of tournaments against the other reasonable players; you need to be able to adapt from hand to hand, depending on who is in it and what their actions are.

- Don't be afraid to lose. When you have a premium hand, and one of these players shoves all-in for the 5th hand in a row, don't be scared to call, just because he's won against the other donks.

Some excellent points here :congrats:

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my advice to you if you are a new player. it is above all to train yourself well and to play on frerrolls while improving your level of play. satellites are a good way to play on higher buy-ins at a lower price when you do not yet have the money. 'a consequante banckroll. I confirm that players tend not to play seriously on micro mtt. but i think thats a good reason to tighten your game and improve your luck of winning the spots you choose to play.