More I study the worse I seem to get

D

Dresft

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing seriously for a month after having dabbled over the years. I read, watch, learn. I study Jonathan Little poker coaching, I use poker tracker 4, I spend a good part of each day learning to play.

I’m rubbish. I was breaking even until last week or so where everything I touch loses. I do stupid things, I can’t let go of a pot that I’ve invested into and my AKo will get all-in by a J2o and I’ll lose the draw to and miss the flop. I lose KK and AA and JJ regular.

Does it get better? I am really trying to learn but I feel like giving up. I’ve only lost £40 across all the sites I play, but that is all in the last week.

I know variance is a thing, but I also know I have a lot to learn. I need to not get tied up into a pot and accept that my 30% of stack raise will get beaten on an unlucky flop.

I’m getting despondent! Does it take a while to become a break even player at least?

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance is definitely factor but learning also takes time. If you expect to read entire book for few days and become pro player - well it will not work. You should read carefully trying to understand the concepts and gradually incorporate new techniques into your game. You also need to take a break from time to time.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It sounds like you are a little confused with where you are at.

You cite learning as if it could be a hindrance (I agree somewhat) and then also your own game leaks. First things first.

I believe in studying but have come to appreciate you can only implement at your own pace. Just because any coach will tell you 'aggression works' does not mean you can flip a switch and play aggressively from there on out. You need to grow into it, to feel comfortable with a new strategy and that takes time.

As regards your game leaks which you can identify already, why not dial back the frustrations by playing free rolls for a period? Many note the play is wilder than micro stakes (no argument here) but I think it teaches a real level of discipline. It also serves as a marker for me. I simply believe if I (or anyone) cannot regularly cash at this level then it doesn't make that much sense to think I could cash at higher, buy-in levels.

Its an avenue to use to prove yourself with no financial downside. Find your feet, cash regularly and then move back up. All you are doing now, with little experience, is putting yourself under needless pressure.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing seriously for a month after having dabbled over the years. I read, watch, learn. I study Jonathan Little poker coaching, I use poker tracker 4, I spend a good part of each day learning to play.

I’m rubbish. I was breaking even until last week or so where everything I touch loses. I do stupid things, I can’t let go of a pot that I’ve invested into and my AKo will get all-in by a J2o and I’ll lose the draw to and miss the flop. I lose KK and AA and JJ regular.

Does it get better? I am really trying to learn but I feel like giving up. I’ve only lost £40 across all the sites I play, but that is all in the last week.

I know variance is a thing, but I also know I have a lot to learn. I need to not get tied up into a pot and accept that my 30% of stack raise will get beaten on an unlucky flop.

I’m getting despondent! Does it take a while to become a break even player at least?

Sometimes it's not your fault. Maybe variance, tough opponents, or you were tilted.
When downswing happened to me, I also feel the same. For Microstakes, I think the most common leak it's "tilted".

Reading your post here, I can make an assumption that you're in tilt. So, every time I feel like I'm a loser, I'm reading material about tilt. It helps a lot. Try it.

J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It might help you a bit mentally to watch some long term pros on Twitch.
We want to think they're doing magical things but really it's a lot of patience and playing enough tables to where enough of the spots where they have a 60% edge pays off.
Effectively playing 6 to 12 tourneys at the same time without a noticeable drop in level of play is where their true edge comes in.
I'm assuming you're just doing 1 to 2 at a time which is fine but you're bound to have a week or 2 in a row where everything seems to go wrong.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No doubt you need time. In order to start getting good results, you need to spend years developing and improving your skills. Only your patience will ensure your success.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You mentioned that you have been playing seriously for 1 month. That really is not enough time to make a determination about your poker skills.

First question is: do you like to play? I understand that losing is not fun, but do you enjoy playing. If you do not enjoy it, then stop putting money into it. If you do enjoy it, try and think of it as a puzzle to solve. All players, and I mean ALL players will have good months and will have bad months or even years. Be objective about what you think is happening, then study and plan your attack for these situations. Practice, study and learn just as often as you play.

I had the same sort of thing happen to me. When I was poker ignorant, I had better results. Maybe there was something in my game that was valuable and I just didn't know it. Maybe a novice view of the game has some merit and then we learn what others say we are supposed to do and we are not ready to implement these things properly. Maybe it was just dumb luck. It probably is a little of each. I have worked my way through this tough period and feel pretty good about my game now.

Keep working, good luck and God bless.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Run some hand history on those three hands you mentioned you can't win (AA KK JJ). Probably find you are winning those more than you think. Hardest part of this game is doing everything right but not getting the results.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing against loose players who have no concept of odds and strategy, it stands to reason that a textbook strategy might actually be a negative, as opposed to relying mainly on instinct and position.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
friend, poker is a game that people have to have 90% luck and 10% skills, playing with AA, KK does not mean that you will win, because there are a lot of kamikazes that play with 2/3 and give allin and win.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are not profitable in the long term. this means that you still make a lot of mistakes in your game. in poker you have to be rigorous and disciplined. usually players bet too often and don't fold enough. I advise you to watch more strategic videos and get inspired for your game. You must also take your time during the game because it could help you make the right decisions. of course you have to play several hundred hands a day for a long time to learn from these mistakes and start becoming a profitable player in the long run. I hope these tips can help you and I wish you well for your next games.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Rome wasn't built in one day and you won't become a stable winning poker player in one day (month, etc). btw such thing as a stable winning poker player does not exist, you should expect and accept that loosing is a part of the game (especially for a such short period of time as one week).

If there is a lot of frustration and disappointment, then there was a lot of high expectations. I suggest you to answer to yourself - why do you play, set a realistic goal and work toward it one step at a time, playing within your limits (!) - proper bankroll managements is a boring must.

PS. I think this video might be helpful for you:

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that poker is something what you can just learn form books, books is just one small detail in a big puzzle. Practicing is very important, it will be amazing if you would have skill to "read people" too