Monotony in poker

CRIS_WIZARD

CRIS_WIZARD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have little time playing poker since I don't do it regularly. But now I'm taking it seriously, and I don't know how to get rid of that boredom of sitting so long waiting for good hands and I can't open any more tables since my focus would be 0.I appreciate someone can give me advice :angel:;)

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music and Audiobooks

I listen to music or audiobooks on my phone. When I get a hand to play, it’s easy to turn off and concentrate. I too, do not like playing multiple tables and I do not do as well as just playing one.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always watch TV when I play freerolls. But if I play in tournaments with an entrance, then it's not boring. The game itself does not let you get bored.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe have a few tables going. If each table is really slow try up to 4. Or have your 1 regular slow going table and then try 1 table of SNAP /888 or Zoom /pokerstars or the equivalent of whatever site you play on. I find that helps quite a bit.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One way to get around it is to multi-table or multi-task. With discipline and luck (need both) the bigger tournaments can last a VERY LONG time.

Usually the best way is to buy-in late and get lucky right away. If you don't get lucky you've only wasted a few minutes instead of a few hours. This is BY FAR my preferred approach.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
while you play listen to your favorite music, if you like the action of the game if you play in pokerstar play cash tables in zoom or turbos tournaments with that format so that you have more action in the game, try to see the mistakes of your opponents while They play their hands so you get to know their way of playing and you will collect information from your opponents.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[Only] after understanding the basics and getting 5000+ hands in cash (when your game become more robotic and monotonous, I'd say more like grinding several tables), after understanding ranges at least for a bit, you may grind with music or video without getting distracted so much.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also don't like multi-tabling, and I find that practicing hand reading is a very good way to avoid boredom and keep your mind focused on the game. If you're not in the hand you can still try to predict your opponents ranges, and narrow those ranges based on their actions on every street and see if you were right when it gets to showdown. You can also practice pot odds and outs calculations - when any bet is made ask yourself what hands you would call with and raise with given the cards on the board. As well as keeping boredom at bay I think this really helps improve your game!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You can brake this monotony by changing the game, at the site you play mtts try cash games also and from sites you play cash games try mtts also. Or other types like the stngo or spin n'go and zoom.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is.))) When you become a regular, everything becomes boring. These are the costs of the profession. I wish you just get your profit.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the best option is to play 2-3 tables at a time and then you will not have time to be bored.
..... But at least you are waiting for good cards and not playing with junk like other players. Obviously, this is your advantage.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can play turbo or cash or do some business there will be no time to wait.

G

Galette71

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes i was in the same spot, there is some faster blind mouvement,,, and also some site have some fast fold option ... but in this case its not the same because usually averyone in the hand (should) have a decent hand

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why I play 2 to 4 tables at a time. But I don't like it when I'm in 2 hands post flop. I also have the TV on in the background.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have little time playing poker since I don't do it regularly. But now I'm taking it seriously, and I don't know how to get rid of that boredom of sitting so long waiting for good hands and I can't open any more tables since my focus would be 0.I appreciate someone can give me advice :angel:;)
I have the same problem even live. The grind can get tiresome when your card dead for an extended period of time. I usually get up and away from the table for a little bit. Smoke a cigarette, take a walk, grab a snack anything to stop from punting.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not just sit and wait for good cards. This is not just boring but it also does not help you to develop your game. In every single hand (even if you have folded your cards) you should calculate pot odds, look at other player's game and take notes on their errors and habits. This way when you are in a hand against them you will play correctly and win. Time spent observing on the table is also time spent learning.

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i watch series on the side and when a good hand comes i play it for a moment

MatiasGomez

MatiasGomez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best solution to answer this question for me was to play multiple tables at the same time. Not many, because you would lose the quality of the game. But maybe two or three tables at the same time at MTT is fine. I think it can help you. If I play at a single table, maybe I leave the TV on to distract myself when you're not playing for a long time, expecting good cards.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my personal opinion, playing poker cannot be boring simply because the process of the game itself is not only the cards on hand, it is also a constant analysis of the opponents' play.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To combat monotony you must dedicate more quality time to the game of poker. Avoid playing for playing and always have a goal when participating in any tournament. For example, it may be the goal to reach the final table.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Music is always a good distraction but you don’t want to get too distracted as you should still be taking notice of how others players are playing to reference later in the game if you meet again

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be completely honest.. if you JUST started playing poker and you are already bored... then you probably should find a new game. :eek:

If you are concerned your focus will be 0 if you play multiple tables, them make sure you are watching the table you've got open. Do the math on the pot odds every hand. Learn what your opponents are doing - find the patterns and exploit them when possible.

I am not sure what the range is of the "good hands" you are waiting for so can't comment on this. LEARN to play hands that are less strong - learn what positions or the opponent types are to do this exploit.

Good luck!

CRIS_WIZARD

CRIS_WIZARD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks friend excellent advice.