Missing the flop

silverfox432

silverfox432

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is aimed mainly at tournament players but could apply to ring game also.

I've had this happen to me a few times in the last couple of touneys I've played in, and wondered how others deal with it. Lets say we're mid way through a touney all stacks are about even (hypothetically) I'm in mid position and get dealt A Q suited ( Nice hand ) the game folds round to me and I raise 3.5 times BB the game folds round to BB who calls..... the board comes 8, 2, 10, Rainbow, I'm in position and the BB acts first.... he either goes All In or puts in a huge raise.... now I'm pretty sure his trying to steal the pot because if its not hit me its probably not hit him, also if he has hit trips he perhaps should check and wait to see what I do to try and build some value in the pot, however I have to either call him, raise or go all in and as his BB he might just have hit trips or even a pair... what do you guys do? has any one had this happen to them??

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if it's a cash game and my read is telling me he's stealing, I'm calling - mostly because if I'm wrong I can dig and re-buy.

In a tourney I'm probably folding. I'd rather go al-in with this hand after missing the flop than call an all-in with it.

X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would throw it away depending on the pot every chance you are behind and even if u do put him on a bluff if u play tight he is more likely to try the same thing later when u do have a hand

K

kpersons

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How has he been playing before after the flop? Whats his usual betting style? Now these questions could be meaningless depending on how long you have been playing with him, but they are questions you should ask your self before. Me, personally i dont know what i would do in that situation. It would just be how i feel and how the table strength is.

Best of luck to you.

fothizz

fothizz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah just muck it. i've learned its beter to fold a bluff than to lose more chips on a possible bluff which in my case most of the time wasn't a bluff that my opponent had.

norbs286

norbs286

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling is losing bad money over good money. The 3.5BB was good money, once you've completely missed your flop, get out in this case imo.

There could be a harder situation where you get A 10 and flop is 10, 8 , K and BB goes All in, then, do you call or fold?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think it's an easy fold, they can with with a measly 2x where the x is catching any pair on the board. I would only call if the other player is proven loose player and has 10-20% (hopefully less) of my stack.

kaiWalk

kaiWalk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends on how long I've been playing with him and what reads I have & he may have, but there's no way I call. My move is either push or fold.

At this point in a tourney, he could have a mid-high pr and have missed the flop but still have a hand, but he should have pushed back pre-flop it that was the case.

My decision comes down to previous plays, i.e. what's your image at the table. What's his? Have you seen a lot of flops? Has he? Could he be defending with T8?

If I get two or three monster hands in a row, I know that I lose credibility with the third consecutive pre-flop raise. That can be very rewarding if it hits, but it also adds a degree of disbelief in my opponents adding a metaphoric "bounty" to my head.

I know that I didn't directly answer the question, but the meta-game has a great-deal to do with the decision.

A

Aldwin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a cash-game you could call if your read says this to you. I think folding is the really better option, you have nothing till so far, maybe he hit a pair or a set, or he has pocket 3's in his hand. You'll have to hit something in the next to cards or make a bluff...

RISKY 101

RISKY 101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold unless u have a Strong READ

M

Macbeth33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely fold, unless he has a very short stack. Often, when people are short they will do a stop and go like this with any two cards. If he has 2x the pot as a stack this is a snap fold, people with do this with any pair and you are a significant dog if he has a pair.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally in a cash game I would fold unless there is a history of him stealing. In a tourney too. Unless maybe it's a freeroll where sometimes I'll call. It actually just happenend to me a few minutes ago. I raised like 7x the BB w/ AA and got called by a guy who I've seen get extremely lucky more than a few times. Flop came 395 and he went all in...needless to say i called and he showed pocket 3's. Damn I hate freerolls!!!lol

A

Aldwin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold to me, unless your read is 99% or more...

P

paulwall01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace Queen is basically the same as ace King in this instance, if you don't hit and they raise, then don't chase for over cards....Never chase for over cards because you could hit and still be way behind or even be drawing dead. Just let them have it and look for a better situation. Winning tourney's is about being aggressive with great situations and not necessarily big cards.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, fold, fold. For me a missed draw is just that. I will gladly move on to the next hand unless I have a for sure read on my live apponent.

Without the hit all your doing is chasing and losing money.

My 2 cents.

POKERLOVE81

POKERLOVE81

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I will fold there, but sometimes with pocket pairs maybe I will chase lol, it depends on the flop..If there is flush or st8 draw won't chase with pocket pairs..

EvilGenius

EvilGenius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments, i'm folding this hand unless i'm the big stack and would be calling a small stack that wouldn't dent my chip total very much.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is folding A high to a big bet is the right thing to do.

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are plenty of players who'll push on you here with AK, AJs etc in SNGs and tournaments. With a big enough stack they have fold equity in their favor and if you do call with just overcards you're shooting for, at best, 6 outs.

There are also plenty of BB players who will make this move after calling with a medium to small pair such as 77 or 44. Unless you're raising with an overpair odds are you'll fold and even if you do call you're behind and have to hit.

In either case you're fighting a battle you don't need to.