min-raise use and goals

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My poker class was discussing minraising this morning. A lot of interest but not much light. I hope you guys who are wiser than I will give me some ideas about when and where to use this weapon.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My poker class was discussing minraising this morning. A lot of interest but not much light. I hope you guys who are wiser than I will give me some ideas about when and where to use this weapon.

Need more context. For starters, cash or tourney?

Here's a couple of examples of when a minraise has worked well for me. My purpose was to induce a shove:

I'm in the SB with AA, in a tourney. It's push\fold time and I've been doing my share of raising and pushing. It folds to me and I minraise to induce a shove, and the BB tank-shoves with K7s. Aces held.

In another tourney and pick up AA on the button. We're in the money with three left. I minraise hoping the BB picked up a shoving hand. He shoves with AQo and I cripple him.

I could have gotten the same results possibly by just slow-playing pre, but on the button I wanted to discourage the SB from calling and winning with a trash hand in case the BB just checked.

I often see people minraising in micro-cash games presumably to build pots with hands that can flop well, like suited connectors.

Try doing a search for small ball poker for some additional info.

U

Under_EV

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min-raising is common during tournaments and I sometimes min-raise the button in cash games.

Min-raising allows you to open a wider range while giving opponents the chance to three-bet lighter, too.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally min raising in theory used to get value.
better used to represent strength early on in a hand and disorientate your opponents (if they are thinking players. with the intention of improving your hand onanother street or barrelling on the turn or river.

It works best if you develop a solid image at a table it not the kind of thing you want to get caught out doing, because it will look stupid or damage your image so you will then have to adjust