Micro PL Omaha

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past, I've always done well with micro PL OMAHA.

I've had in the last few months the worst of experience:

- Literally, less than 10% of premium hands have a good flop or everyone at the table folds pre-flop
- It appears I only hit a monster hand with junk
- Typically, two people always rally the pot pre-flop
- Someone is always raising/calling with nothing (pre and post flop)
- I cannot remember the last time I won a contended pot having over 18+ out draws to the nuts
It's like ev means nothing

Any recommendations out there or should I just leave the game alone?

D

DAYJAHVUE2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
plo

I think more and more people are starting to play plo and will open with any two cards. Don't change the way you play. I just adjusted my opening hand range and only have played premium hands and not race with a hand preflop
good luck
dayja

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Omaha is different from holdem. Omaha is a post flop game. Got to stay active got be in pots seeing flops.

There are usually no clear favorites preflop. Even on a flop when you are ahead more than half the times you only 60/40 favorite.

Position is the utmost key in this game. It so much easier to dictate size of pots and bluff in position. Got to pot control sometimes when you have strong holdings and deep stacked got see what later streets bring before bloating pot. In pot limited got to be able to build a pot as well.

You must have the discipline to fold strong hands on a bad card or bad flop or on a read. Folding the second nuts is hard but got to do it sometimes in this game.

Bloating the pot pre flop with AA & KK works sometimes but only when you get a good flop, this is easily exploitable by good omaha players.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Omaha players on ACR know when the runner runner gutshot is coming. Either that or they never fold I'm not sure lol.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm totally dumbfounded.
A sample size of roughly 3 months.

Literally, the most irrational behavior with unpredictable outcomes.
I do not find this to be the case in tourney play.

I think I'm done with micro-stakes PLO.

Totally understand the variation of PLO verses NL Holdem and the vulnerability of pocket pairs but I'm done.

S

Simplex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR cash games are rigged for house rake. The suckouts are surreal. If actually trying to make money in cash games, you need to bring your "rigged RNG crystal ball'.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR cash games are rigged for house rake. The suckouts are surreal. If actually trying to make money in cash games, you need to bring your "rigged RNG crystal ball'.

I think your correct sir. I tried to fight the giants, but I just sat there for nothing. To get a premium starting hand in position, only to fold or get busted with the second best nuts with that oh so painful runner runner.

But clearly there are those who do well. I see the same people in there all the time. They hit sets like 1 out of every 8 hands. Pleas let me know where I can get a RNG crystal ball.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot help but to post this one, and I was not even in the pot.
Today a guy called down in PL Omaha everyone's stack with no draw, pocket 8's; hit a two on the flop; called another bet and hit a three on the river for two pair. Won the hand!

No aggression, no tilt; he just did it! Simply amazing!

To win like that is just sick!

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you just need to take a little break from the poker game . then everything will be fine by itself . I played a tournament on ACR PLO Omaha is a good game and pleasing the players . I wish you good luck

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the past, I've always done well with micro PL OMAHA.

I've had in the last few months the worst of experience:

- Literally, less than 10% of premium hands have a good flop or everyone at the table folds pre-flop
- It appears I only hit a monster hand with junk
- Typically, two people always rally the pot pre-flop
- Someone is always raising/calling with nothing (pre and post flop)
- I cannot remember the last time I won a contended pot having over 18+ out draws to the nuts
It's like ev means nothing

It's already been stated, but I'll echo because it needs to be answered... how many hands is this?

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you just need to take a little break from the poker game . then everything will be fine by itself . I played a tournament on ACR PLO Omaha is a good game and pleasing the players . I wish you good luck

Thanks for the encouragement. I still play online despite these happenings.
This post is simply sharing what I would consider to be unique poker experiences.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is fold,check or pot shove post flop. It is an equity game with grotesque swings.I lost 9 buy-in in one session and have won 37 buy-in in another outlier session. I can tell you if they lead they are not leading to fold...you can pot it all you want they arent folding.I also play the "nuts or nothing" Omaha.

P

preki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Asks how big the sample size is...replies "3 months"...gg sir

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Asks how big the sample size is...replies "3 months"...gg sir

That simply means: I don't know.
I provided how long, for the general context in which the observations were made.

Thanks for the pointless comment. GG Sir

P

preki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That simply means: I don't know.
I provided how long, for the general context in which the observations were made.

Thanks for the pointless comment. GG Sir

I'm sorry for being a jerk. I can be a little bit of a keyboard warrior, especially while drinking. I apologize.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love Omaha, but I play less and less. I also experienced this, in a few days multiplied my money, then after a few days of pause, I experienced the same thing as you did. One thing is certain, there are more strange things in Omaha than Holdem.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth is I've only played with money won in freerolls. I enjoy playing PLO and have to be selective due to limited funds, but it takes way to many hands to get a dominant edge and being tight pre-flop seems to have no benefit.
The style of play certainly is hyper aggressive on micro ACR PLO. Getting hot is the best, which seems guaranteed to happen to somebody within a given hour.
I've seen someone rack up over $45 on a $2 max table. One time, I went from $1 to $8 on the short stack 0.1/.02 (cannot say it's much of a boast, but it was fun). Won almost every hand played after a long wait. Won a couple of showdowns, then the cards just shifted in my favor.
Further, it seems like everyone knows this based on how they play. After winning a couple of showdowns, most players temporarily tighten up against them.

Get hot, leave and play another game or wait for a bankroll if you want to win. Many people have no problem being underdogs and calling anything. Demonstrate tightness and position will push just about every pot. Activity, activity, activity wins this race with huge up and down swings.

Hope to get my roll built up, resume and play accordingly.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must say in light of my previous post, there is a perspective I would like to add.
Over a period of time, a strategy of playing loose (pre-flop); then tighter on the flop can be rewarding. The truth is my frustration of the constant turns of the game was heightened from the fact that I was playing ultra tight and really not having enough chips to be playing in the first place. Not playing enough hands and missing flops with premium hands had me boggled down.

Please take my observations in perspective as there is a corresponding and effective style of play.
It will be difficult to play this game not having multiple buy-ins and the appropriate strategy.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I play between 2000-4000 PLO hand at micro stage each day, so i have noticed
how the game have changed slightly over the last few years :D
Its dosnt take alot of change in your focus to turn profit into loss and vice versa.

Heres a few advices that may get you back on track

Reraise more when you have something

Checkraise more to agressive players when you hit and have good draws

Play more hands in position

Take blockers into consideration when you choose when to bet

Fold more when you missed

Fold more on riverbets when its obvious you have 2nd best

Dont chase pots with bad odds

Dont instant reraise and overvalue all AAxx and KKxx,

It dosnt take alot to turn it all arround :D

Watch this guy, he has a ton of good stuff about omaha, and even though he
mostly play highstakes, theres some aspects that also work at micros ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100Daysmybet

Good luck on your omaha rebounce :top:

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone felt like making a couple of bad plays apparently turns the whole game against you? I've had a weekend of bad play and it appears I've been on a cooler ever since.
I understand that everyone experiences it but it seems all kinds of things start to influence your thinking when this happens.

Like, did I make this happen?
Frustrating when your constantly loosing pots against less than 10%.
We all understand variance, but how fun is playing poker when you cannot win a hand. It makes me hyper passive and ultra tight.
Went through a season where I could not win anything regardless of how much I was in the lead with a hand or how I played. Had a few good nights, then went a couple of months with just an occasional bad beat (probably because of BRM and multi-cash buy-ins); multiplied my bankroll dramatically; now I find myself back in the hole after some embarrassing play.

Hard to gain perspective when momentum changes and your lack of bankroll overly influences your play. Like the numbers interpret your circumstance and generalities become your reality.

I heard someone on Cardschat say that prolong play does not favor the player. One thing I can say is balance is everything. Small gaps of incoherence can multiply in a world of chance and ruin what has been built steady over time. Funny thing, I still like to play poker but now find myself building from the ground up again. (coming from a person that started all the way from a few dollars earned from freerolls and built a bankroll to have some freedom with play)

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance is such a reality when it comes to profitability.
With optimal play, your just a few percentage points above. (especially with Omaha)
Getting off your game at any point can be so costly.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sucks losing so many large hands to underdogs.
Although with a sufficient bankroll, skill will typically recover. The average rate of return is like less than 20% (from my experience), unless you get some hyper fish or people tilting.
Great in the long run, but get off your game and over time your profitability greatly decreases.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can you understand if your good or not? Without BRM or an approach to the game to understand, in context, what needs to happen or be managed in the short-term, to ensure optimal long-term profitability.

4 cards in Pot Limit Omaha expands opportunity for success for underdogs in the short-term.
However, it goes the other way too!

odds, Variance, predictability, discernment, patience, style, bankroll?

Any comments out there?
Variance can take down any pot against a good player?

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
beware if your not holding x20 buy-in and willing to rebuy 3 times