Micro knowledge

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all I’m having some trouble with the micros been changing my game up lately so much I don’t feel like the same player I was. I’m playing abc poker at the moment whatever that really is my guess it’s let the cards do the talking but my problem is I’ve gone a a on a 20buy in downswing flopping sets to higher sets all sorts of crap mixed in with bad play and stupid bluffs I started with 30buy went upto 50buy Ins in a few weeks. Before that I had stopped playing poker for over a year used to play live sng 6 max used to crush my weekly game but when I decided to come back to poker I wanted to do it properly learn my leaks and plug them so I’ve changed my vpip trying to bring it down to about 18% with a pfr of 15% that has helped me a little since I’m playing less hands and been able to turn up with better ones when I do play a hand but I also feel like I’m struggling with my poker knownledge I don’t know what areas to learn or how to learn them proppeely I know how to work out what outs I have but feel like I don’t use what I know so is there anybody else out there that can offer some advice I can’t affoad a couch I own a few books and always watching videos but the informations doesn’t seem to stick in my brain so I’m feeling pretty hopeless lately

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all I’m having some trouble with the micros been changing my game up lately so much I don’t feel like the same player I was. I’m playing abc poker at the moment whatever that really is my guess it’s let the cards do the talking but my problem is I’ve gone a a on a 20buy in downswing flopping sets to higher sets all sorts of crap mixed in with bad play and stupid bluffs I started with 30buy went upto 50buy Ins in a few weeks. Before that I had stopped playing poker for over a year used to play live sng 6 max used to crush my weekly game but when I decided to come back to poker I wanted to do it properly learn my leaks and plug them so I’ve changed my vpip trying to bring it down to about 18% with a pfr of 15% that has helped me a little since I’m playing less hands and been able to turn up with better ones when I do play a hand but I also feel like I’m struggling with my poker knownledge I don’t know what areas to learn or how to learn them proppeely I know how to work out what outs I have but feel like I don’t use what I know so is there anybody else out there that can offer some advice I can’t affoad a couch I own a few books and always watching videos but the informations doesn’t seem to stick in my brain so I’m feeling pretty hopeless lately

Ok, for future reference. Please use punctuation. This was very difficult to read. Now I will take this step by step so that I can be sure to address each concern properly. "Hi all I’m having some trouble with the micros been changing my game up lately so much I don’t feel like the same player I was" This is good, as we evolve in poker, we will be constantly changing our game. There is always new theories, and as other players learn more, we have to adapt to their knowledge of the game as well. "I’m playing abc poker at the moment whatever that really is my guess it’s let the cards do the talking" I am assuming that because of your latest downswing you have gone to ABC poker as a safe way to play without losing a lot of buy ins. At the micro level you should be able to be slightly profitable if you are playing ABC poker correctly. It worries me that you say "you guess" you are playing ABC poker. This should be easily understood. "I’ve gone a a on a 20buy in downswing flopping sets to higher sets all sorts of crap mixed in with bad play and stupid bluffs I started with 30buy went upto 50buy Ins in a few weeks." I am curious to know how you were playing while on this downswing. Was it tilt that contributed to your massive loss. Set over set happens, and it's easy to get emotional after this and play bad without even noticing. If so Tilt could be a leak of yours that needs to be worked on. You may be playing too unbalanced and overly aggressive if you started with 30 buy ins, profited 20 buy ins and then lost it all in a matter of a few weeks... If you want to be a winning player you will have to show results over a long sample, and winning in the short term can make us think we are making the correct plays when really we aren't. "Before that I had stopped playing poker for over a year used to play live sng 6 max used to crush my weekly game but when I decided to come back to poker I wanted to do it properly learn my leaks and plug them" That is good that you want to take the proper steps to plugging leaks and improving your game, CardsChat is a great place to make that happen. "I’ve changed my vpip trying to bring it down to about 18% with a pfr of 15% that has helped me a little since I’m playing less hands and been able to turn up with better ones" What was your average VPIP % and PFR % before? This isn't necessarily something you should focus on and try to get your percentage to equal, these numbers should happen because you have a good range and realize your range based on position. If you are just simply trying to stay at 18% and 15% This could be even worse for your game then how you were playing before. It's important also to note that these percentages really don't even matter unless you have thousands of hands on your opponents or yourself. They are helpful in difficult situations, but in the short term are quite unreliable. HUDS in general are most important for the ability to later study your play, unless like I said you have thousands of hands on the opponent or yourself. "when I do play a hand but I also feel like I’m struggling with my poker knownledge I don’t know what areas to learn or how to learn them proppeely" This could definitely be the case, don't worry though most people struggle with this. again CardsChat can be a wonderful tool if used properly. The best way to go about this, is take things one at a time. Figure out what you feel you are struggling with the most, and make a post about that specific thing. This will allow people to help you on a specific area. Post hands that you feel you played poorly or don't understand. Make sure to extremely detailed and include live reads, stack sizes, position, and ANY information relevant to the hand. If you try and balloon everything together it will be overwhelming, but take it one section at a time and you can make steps towards becoming a profitable player. "I know how to work out what outs I have but feel like I don’t use what I know so is there anybody else out there that can offer some advice I can’t affoad a couch I own a few books and always watching videos but the informations doesn’t seem to stick in my brain so I’m feeling pretty hopeless lately" This is another huge leak many players have, they have the knowledge available to them but choose not too use it. Slow down, and think when in a hand. Make sure you are making the correct decision each time. I know you can't afford a coach right now, and honestly there is so much free information available you probably don't need one. That being said, it will speed up the results, because a coach will be able to meet you where you are at, notice leaks that you or other people don't notice because we aren't as focused on what is going on in your poker game. So I would say, if none of this works out keep this in mind. If you are losing at poker, that money you are losing could go towards a poker coach. Anyways I hope some of this helped.

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, for future reference. Please use punctuation. This was very difficult to read. Now I will take this step by step so that I can be sure to address each concern properly. "Hi all I’m having some trouble with the micros been changing my game up lately so much I don’t feel like the same player I was" This is good, as we evolve in poker, we will be constantly changing our game. There is always new theories, and as other players learn more, we have to adapt to their knowledge of the game as well. "I’m playing abc poker at the moment whatever that really is my guess it’s let the cards do the talking" I am assuming that because of your latest downswing you have gone to ABC poker as a safe way to play without losing a lot of buy ins. At the micro level you should be able to be slightly profitable if you are playing ABC poker correctly. It worries me that you say "you guess" you are playing ABC poker. This should be easily understood. "I’ve gone a a on a 20buy in downswing flopping sets to higher sets all sorts of crap mixed in with bad play and stupid bluffs I started with 30buy went upto 50buy Ins in a few weeks." I am curious to know how you were playing while on this downswing. Was it tilt that contributed to your massive loss. Set over set happens, and it's easy to get emotional after this and play bad without even noticing. If so Tilt could be a leak of yours that needs to be worked on. You may be playing too unbalanced and overly aggressive if you started with 30 buy ins, profited 20 buy ins and then lost it all in a matter of a few weeks... If you want to be a winning player you will have to show results over a long sample, and winning in the short term can make us think we are making the correct plays when really we aren't. "Before that I had stopped playing poker for over a year used to play live sng 6 max used to crush my weekly game but when I decided to come back to poker I wanted to do it properly learn my leaks and plug them" That is good that you want to take the proper steps to plugging leaks and improving your game, CardsChat is a great place to make that happen. "I’ve changed my vpip trying to bring it down to about 18% with a pfr of 15% that has helped me a little since I’m playing less hands and been able to turn up with better ones" What was your average VPIP % and PFR % before? This isn't necessarily something you should focus on and try to get your percentage to equal, these numbers should happen because you have a good range and realize your range based on position. If you are just simply trying to stay at 18% and 15% This could be even worse for your game then how you were playing before. It's important also to note that these percentages really don't even matter unless you have thousands of hands on your opponents or yourself. They are helpful in difficult situations, but in the short term are quite unreliable. HUDS in general are most important for the ability to later study your play, unless like I said you have thousands of hands on the opponent or yourself. "when I do play a hand but I also feel like I’m struggling with my poker knownledge I don’t know what areas to learn or how to learn them proppeely" This could definitely be the case, don't worry though most people struggle with this. again CardsChat can be a wonderful tool if used properly. The best way to go about this, is take things one at a time. Figure out what you feel you are struggling with the most, and make a post about that specific thing. This will allow people to help you on a specific area. Post hands that you feel you played poorly or don't understand. Make sure to extremely detailed and include live reads, stack sizes, position, and ANY information relevant to the hand. If you try and balloon everything together it will be overwhelming, but take it one section at a time and you can make steps towards becoming a profitable player. "I know how to work out what outs I have but feel like I don’t use what I know so is there anybody else out there that can offer some advice I can’t affoad a couch I own a few books and always watching videos but the informations doesn’t seem to stick in my brain so I’m feeling pretty hopeless lately" This is another huge leak many players have, they have the knowledge available to them but choose not too use it. Slow down, and think when in a hand. Make sure you are making the correct decision each time. I know you can't afford a coach right now, and honestly there is so much free information available you probably don't need one. That being said, it will speed up the results, because a coach will be able to meet you where you are at, notice leaks that you or other people don't notice because we aren't as focused on what is going on in your poker game. So I would say, if none of this works out keep this in mind. If you are losing at poker, that money you are losing could go towards a poker coach. Anyways I hope some of this helped.

Hi thank you for the reply and addressing all of my issues first off I’m sorry about the lack of punctuation,

I understand that we much change in this game and I feel like I am changing in positive ways I think it’s just the downswing I’m struggling with keep logging my sessions and noticing my win rate go down, hopefully il recover.

ABC if I had to assume I would
Say I don’t really know what abc poker is not completely apart from just playing straightforward not making bluffs or any fancie plays.

Downswing I wouldn’t say I’ve been tilting I means I’ve felt anoyyed but haven’t let it control my play apart from calling with the back end of my range in different spots ie playing axs in middle. I have been multi tabling only 4 tables so I’ve stopped doing that so I can refocus on opponents and that’s helping slightly.

Changing game plan. I’ve been using leak tracker and tryjng to get everything in the green before that I never really had a range it was in my head so if I thought I had a chance of outplaying villian I would, I think that was one of my leaks, but since creating ones I’m more in control of what hands to do that with now I have a real 3bet range and I’m getting paid more often instead of trying to just get them to fold flop or whatever. But if I had to say it was like 32/23 with a small sample size. Current It’s like 21/14 but it’s coming down slowly as my sample size increases.

Poker knowledge gaps
I’ve been posting hands where I lost money or won recently and seeing everyone else’s input have made a positive impact on the way I play a hand, I’ve also being breaking down areas of what I struggle with ie expected value, to do that I need to understand outs and pot odds but when I was multi tabling I couldn’t do that so now I’m just playing two tables.

I am thinking about a couch but I’m unsure of the prices and money is tight lately so I’m using all the free info I can get.

Again thank you for your reply hopefully this will be easier to read 😂

J

JupiterSK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"You will demonstrate your poker greatness with the hands that you put, not the hands that you play." ~ Dan Reed
Wise saying !!!