Mental preparation for the game

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!
I would like to pay attention to such aspect as the attitude to the game. I noticed from experience that the more seriously I approach the process of preparing for the process, the better I get the results.
Sometimes it's terribly hard to be positive.
Personally, goal setting helps me then everything becomes much easier. Good mood also plays an important role. Comedy helps with this. A whole ritual was created before the game.
How do you prepare for the session?:fight:

lightf

lightf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always aproach every game the same, of course good mood plays a very important role. I'm never positive like I'm going to win, but I'm not thinking that I'm just losing my time because I won't win.. like I'm always in the middle of both thoughts, if i win it's okay but if i lose it's okay too. Always try to have fun while playing, for me that's the most important thing, having fun, if you enjoy the game then you will always have a good time no matter the result and if the result is good at the end of the day then you will have a big smile for sure! And listen to the music you like while playing, it makes the game even better.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, I also try to treat every game equally and have fun. so I get the result and have a pleasant time. but if the priority is only money, there is nothing else)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A positive attitude and sense of humor are invaluable in combating potential tilt in the emotional game of poker. Not saying you will never tilt, but sometimes I find myself surprised at how much some hands bother me and how little other hands impact me.

Just the other day, I was playing a game and shoved all-in on the flop with a set - of course, I make a full-house on the River and still lose the hand because my opponent had quad 7s. Argh, 4 of a kind, that kind of stings when you played it well and bust with a full house. However, my approach was: "hey, I did everything right I thought (I considered their hand possible on the flop but it was such an unlikely chance and I was at only about 15 Big Blinds or less), so I can't be too upset."

Later that same day, I end up playing KK preflop for the rest of my chips - someone had the dreaded AA. "You know what though? It took Aces to take me out; if I'm going down, I'll at least go down with a fight!"

p.s. Yeah, those two in the same day isn't fun - but I got over it and you will too with more practice and positive attitudes. I won't claim to always handle bad beats and unfortunate events this well, but mental preparation and attitude is key.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A positive attitude and sense of humor are invaluable in combating potential tilt in the emotional game of poker. Not saying you will never tilt, but sometimes I find myself surprised at how much some hands bother me and how little other hands impact me.

Just the other day, I was playing a game and shoved all-in on the flop with a set - of course, I make a full-house on the River and still lose the hand because my opponent had quad 7s. Argh, 4 of a kind, that kind of stings when you played it well and bust with a full house. However, my approach was: "hey, I did everything right I thought (I considered their hand possible on the flop but it was such an unlikely chance and I was at only about 15 Big Blinds or less), so I can't be too upset."

Later that same day, I end up playing KK preflop for the rest of my chips - someone had the dreaded AA. "You know what though? It took Aces to take me out; if I'm going down, I'll at least go down with a fight!"

p.s. Yeah, those two in the same day isn't fun - but I got over it and you will too with more practice and positive attitudes. I won't claim to always handle bad beats and unfortunate events this well, but mental preparation and attitude is key.
Congratulations bro. Don't stop at what you have achieved and set new goals. I know from myself that if you focus on one achievement, new ones will not come for a long time))

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I have been trying meditation a couple of times a day. It is too early to talk about strong changes. BUT before the game it helps a lot to clear your head. But of course with bad beats :help::D

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By process of elimination, so far I have found things to NOT do:

*Play tired, or hungry
*Play inebriated
*Stop exercising for months
*Eating like garbage all day
*Decide that I HAVE to win THIS pot/hand/orbit/tournament
*Focus on the results, instead of whether I was basing my decision on sound reasoning
*Take getting sucked out on too seriously (that's what bank roll management is for!)
*Play stakes so high they scare me, or so low they bore me (well, so low is basically the old 25 cent freerolls they ran on ACR that were total donk-fests)

I'm excited to figure out the next thing not to do.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what you wrote. made the same observations. keep a confident attitude, this is also important)

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
started to play sports, for about 2 months of regular trainings, 2-3 times a week. I note that the concentration and mood have grown significantly. as well as the results. so I advise everyone to keep fit. it is important)

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Blurred consciousness"
Sit down at the table when you can focus 100% on the process. No collisions in life and other problems should be distracting.
Focus on the decision-making process, not the result. Many players change the principle of the game at moments when all actions are performed correctly, but there is no result. This is a temporary phenomenon (bad luck) and will end one way or another. Correct decision making and smart play will be very beneficial.
Miscalculation of the game of opponents
poker psychology
The second important point in the psychology of poker is the miscalculation of the opponents' play at the table. It is very important to study each player at the table. Understand why in each specific case he made one or another move. It is also necessary to determine, based on the results of the distribution, whether the player was right in his actions and what general logic he followed. He cannot and should not be corrected from time to time, but the miscalculation of his vision of the game will help to predict future actions and use it for their own purposes.
The psychology of online poker is mutual, and the neighbors at the table manipulate you just as you manipulate them.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree, but let me add that you forgot another very important point) Namely, your image at the table, how your opponents see you and what they think of you. This gives much more an idea of ​​what is happening and gives room for maneuvers when you understand what they think about you and what actions they can allow against you)

Top 10 Games