Maximizing value on nut flops

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one area of my game that I think I could improve a bit on. The situations usually come when I have either Axs and the flop is monochrome giving me the nut flush or something close to the nuts like two top pairs (AK board comes AK7). If I'm OOP I'll usually check and try to get a raise from a weaker hand or possibly a bluff from the v since I'm portraying weakness with the check and check-call if I get a raise from them. IP I'll usually just call a bet and raise on a later street. The problem I have is that most of the time I'm getting no action from the villain so we're either going to showdown and I take a really small pot with the monster hand or I make a bet just to milk some extra chips out and everyone folds. I'm pretty sure it's not my table image but I feel like I should be able to extract some more chips on these hands so I can build my stack. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :D

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Increase your aggression. If you find that you get no action when you bet, you are playing too tight.

A check raise when you've been playing tight is a surefire way to kill action unless villain also has something close to the nuts. So you wanna bet bet bet such that villain is willing to call you down with mediocre hands because he doesn't give you credit.

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
decrease the aggression

sure raise sometimes to have people with potentially better hands fold. but dont do it often. look for pocket aces or better and progressively raise. about a quarter of your stack every chance you get during that hand.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I encounter the same thing and will just check to make my hand look weak, then let the others put out a bet.
Sometimes there are just no bites if the flop has an Ace and no one at the table has an Ace. They just assume someone is slow playing their Ace. Not all hands can make us da money.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I hit the nuts the other day, I was stealing on the button with Q3s and flopped a FH. As I was the original raiser, I kept on with the aggression and cb and got a call, the turn tho I lost value as I cb again where I should of checked to see if he bluffed the river.

I believe that cb worked because the flop didn't hit my perceived range and Vill just thought I was bluffing. I think we should often cb if we are the original raiser if say we flop a set, because if we x/r it just looks too strong!

Maybe though you are playing too tight, and that is why you are getting too many folds.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely get maximum value with the nuts.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow love the detailed answer here definitely going to use this.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks y’all! I don’t think it’s me playing to tight because my HUD says I’m playing about 35 percent of the hands so I guess it’s more that no one else is flopping anything good but I’ll keep at it

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is very contra intuitive but the truth is that you need to be the aggressor of a flop that you got the nuts. slow play will not help anyway.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think its important to look at the villans aggression factor and balance that against their fold to cbet - because sometimes the villan will fold if you bet and bet if you check.