Losing to limpers

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because of limpers, I often lose part of the stack or completely crash out of the tournament. This happens when I'm on the big blind with a garbage hand and players start to go limp, before on pokerstars there was a reset button on the preflop, now it's removed and you have to watch the flop if everyone went limp, so with a garbage hand on the flop I catch a match or draw, I start to collate opponents ' bets to catch my outs, as a result, I almost always lose. In a situation where I easily discarded cards on the preflop, now I lose because because of limpers, you can't discard cards on the preflop. I noticed this for a long time and calmly treat it but sometimes I break down, like now, this game makes me mad.

When writing this post, no keyboard or mouse not suffer :D

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really simple for me. You don't pay extra to watch the flop, that's good news. If a lot of players make a limp and go in on the flop, you should understand that your outs may also be the opponent's outs, but with better chances. No nuts, no follow-up. This is a good way to watch the flop, no more.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Have you ever heard the saying "Never go broke in a limped pot"?
It can be rephrased a little, so why would you want to invest money with a weak value hands vs several opponents in wide ranges spots for a small pot that you saw for free? Think about it and learn how to fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I get a free play, I always remind myself, that this is not a spot, which I wanted or paid to be in. So I have no problem laying down my hand, even when it somewhat connected with the board. Even if you have a crappy top pair like 93 on 985 just ask yourself, which turn and river cards you are going to like, when 5 players saw the flop? Other than exactly a 9 or 3, the answer is pretty much none, and therefore its no big deal to just let it go.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I get a free play, I always remind myself, that this is not a spot, which I wanted or paid to be in. So I have no problem laying down my hand, even when it somewhat connected with the board. Even if you have a crappy top pair like 93 on 985 just ask yourself, which turn and river cards you are going to like, when 5 players saw the flop? Other than exactly a 9 or 3, the answer is pretty much none, and therefore its no big deal to just let it go.

This is an excellent point I hope everyone reads. People over value their crappy top pair hands while in the big blind in a limped pot. You can't range your opponents well since they limped and as you stated, there are rarely good turn cards to follow when you have a middle of the deck top pair with a low kicker. My advice is to check this and hope everyone else checks behind. If there is any aggression it is usually best to just fold.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of limpers, I often lose part of the stack or completely crash out of the tournament. This happens when I'm on the big blind with a garbage hand and players start to go limp, before on PokerStars there was a reset button on the preflop, now it's removed and you have to watch the flop if everyone went limp, so with a garbage hand on the flop I catch a match or draw, I start to collate opponents ' bets to catch my outs, as a result, I almost always lose. In a situation where I easily discarded cards on the preflop, now I lose because because of limpers, you can't discard cards on the preflop. I noticed this for a long time and calmly treat it but sometimes I break down, like now, this game makes me mad.

When writing this post, no keyboard or mouse not suffer :D
It's not so bad situation, when you can see flop with 0 investment and with chances to win a big pot when you get really strong hand on flop)
Multiple times I faced the same situation, but on BB or SB I have AK, QQ or KK but...
When I raised, for example, 5 BB, which in my opinion should force to fold most of limpers with garbage hands - I get calls from ALL limpers, and I loose or need to fold, just because flop shows a great chances for street draws etc...

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not so bad situation, when you can see flop with 0 investment and with chances to win a big pot when you get really strong hand on flop).
Being on the big blind is an investment. The good news is that sometimes you don't have to protect them. Unfortunately, not all players can discard their cards safely during the game.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limpers

If you don't have plans on investing money in a hand preflop I believe you should only go for it if you have the nuts post flop.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand everything, I can count chances and outs.
Apparently I have a downstreak and my patience is running out.

Take your time, wait for a good position.
Elky

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an excellent point I hope everyone reads. People over value their crappy top pair hands while in the big blind in a limped pot. You can't range your opponents well since they limped and as you stated, there are rarely good turn cards to follow when you have a middle of the deck top pair with a low kicker. My advice is to check this and hope everyone else checks behind. If there is any aggression it is usually best to just fold.

Exactly. There is a reason, why we dont normally play garbage hands like 93 in a ring game, and the reason is, that even when they connect with the board, they are usually still just garbage. People tend to get so hung up on the nominal value of their hand like "LOL I have top pair", but there is a huge difference between having AK on K85 and 93 on 985, and this is why, we play AK but not 93.

Of course its different, if its a heads up hand, or if it folded to SB, who then limped. Then I am going to take a bad top pair pretty far, but in the typical multiway limped pot in a ring game, there is just no reason to get involved, unless we flopped a real monster. If someone had put in a raise preflop, which probably they should, we would have folded 93, and folding it on the flop instead makes no difference. We just take that 1BB loss and let the fishy limpers do, whatever they want to do.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is really useful advice. I had ever thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing!

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, you need to know that one pair usually isn't good on the limped top, you need to have at least two, many people are limping with some suited or connected cards, so if they hold a raise on the flop and something comes on the turn or river that completes straights or flushes better not to bet and hope for a cheap showdown, otherwise just fold

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This button has been removed, but the function of this button for which it was responsible can be restored using the settings (hotkeys) !!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 9
L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree, if I'm on BB and limpel in front of me, Then I'm in the party in vain. And if the flop hits, it's very hard to let go of your hand, so it can be a difficult situation, otherwise I rarely limp.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually if limped to me and just a check vs multiple opponents, then if I did not hit two pair or better or a draw of 8 outs or more I fold when facing a bet. Top pair with a weak kicker can get you in trouble so I App to fold, didn’t plan on being in the hand to begin with.