Lose the most from what position?

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that my most losing position is the BB and the SB due to the decreased odds to call/getting to the flop with a hand I would NEVER play from any other position. After the flop, your out of position and many times also have marginal hole cards.

Do you find this also to be the case for your play?

Do you have any mental tricks to help you fold more regularly in these spots? (especially the BB that gets to the flop for free)

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you lose the ability Topically than from position to position I have is not as important as being a cut above the opponents!

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

when I have two AA
others there J K
the table and A Q 5 K T
the last card when I think that I have taken them proves that zasam lost all

P

Pessoa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sure you often lose in the BB, but but a Call on the BB is always one Blind cheaper.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing from the blinds with marginal hands Im only calling a limp or a min raise. otherwise its an easy fold.

when in the big blind avoid 3 betting and play the board.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, the most unprofitable position is SB

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, SB are the worst position at the poker table. I try to simplify my strategy for SB to two choices: fold or 3-bet. In rare cases, depending on the opponent can call BB.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My BB sux
lost about 32BB/100 hands

believe most of the players are in the same shoes.

PS: no way to prevent losing money at big blinds... believe in me, when sitting at sb or bb it is naturally losing money in the long run. regardless who you are, or whom you are against.

the only strategy is to make other player lose more money when they are at blind, and when you sitting at button , try to win more cover that lost part.

LOL

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The blinds are a pain. Causes you to see more flops and it's hard to fold when you hit a piece of the flop. This is when you start chasing draws and get out kicked etc.

Worse 2 words in poker IMHO is "defending blinds". Recipe for disaster.

However that said I have a simple formula. I fold the blinds quick and fast. Which gives the impression to the table my blinds are easy money, which they are to a point. When I wake up in the blinds with a hand I play it weak with calls until the river, I pot bet, then I rake in a bunch of blinds worth of chips. They just can't resist throwing chips at me LOL with pure bluffs. Usually the other guy has air especially from the button, its easy money and simple really.

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop, the blinds aren't that difficult to play.

-You shouldn't be cold calling raises from the SB. I'm either 3betting or folding.

-I don't complete the SB that often either, but might with small pairs and a passive BB behind me.

-Calling raises from BB is different if you close the action. If you don't, then I'm folding all non 3bet hands. If I do, then my call range is pretty wide because of odds, but I'm still folding a lot of weak hands that don't hit well.

-In BB, I'll call a raise with hands like 79s more than a hand like K2o if I close the action because 79s hits better.

Post flop, it's a little trickier.

-Unless you've flopped a monster, you should proceed with caution.

-Usually, if I hit a decent piece against 1 or 2 players, I might check/call if I have a showdown hand. Against more or if I face a 3bet, it's check/fold. It really depends on board structure, hand strength, and opponent.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice info guys,nice thread too thx gl

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some books tell you must defend your blinds. I think that this is wrong advice, you have weak holdings out of position at the table. I think it is better in the long run to fold when the blinds are low and only play when the blinds are High.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that my most losing position is the BB and the SB due to the decreased odds to call/getting to the flop with a hand I would NEVER play from any other position. After the flop, your out of position and many times also have marginal hole cards.

Do you find this also to be the case for your play?

Do you have any mental tricks to help you fold more regularly in these spots? (especially the BB that gets to the flop for free)

Always remember that garbage is garbage no matter what position you're in...
Recently had a hard time with this. I was in the BB in a live tournament and about 10 spots out from the money. I there was a min raise and two callers. It's only 1000k more to me and I look down at 34off. I'm thinking that I'm getting a good price just to call but then discipline kicks in and "garbage is garbage".
Flops comes 44104x....I would've had quads and stacked two players by the end of the hand and well over 45BB and into the money for sure. Instead I was short stacked shortly after and went out in 26th and the money started at 21.

Last edited: