Looking for advice, thanks

S

scubasteve1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, so I've been playing seriously for almost a month now, I seem to win sometimes in cash games and sometimes I dont but today I did really bad and busted again with just a little 40$ I deposited the other day, I got in a 5nl game and lost 5$ on the 2nd hand i played, set of 10s lost to flush, then i did something stupid and played 25nl and of course lost again and then went back to 5nl got up to 6.85 and then slowly lost again and then got kind of upset and disappointed and lost the rest in a 10$ SnG, I'm not sure if I should save up a legitimate bank roll and try again or if I should just give it up, I want to try again with a legitimate roll but it seems like I would probably just lose it and be mad, i was just wondering how long it took some of you guys to start winning and if i should continue to pursue this or if should just try to find something else, any advice or suggestions are greatly apprecaiated thanks.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi buddy, i had a similar start to you, and deposited 100s of dollars chasing what i lost. My advice is if you want to pursue this, deposit a small amount and give it another go, if it doesnt work out stick to freerolls, you cant lose in freerolls. Dont deposit more than you can afford to lose.

A

Andy_mirON

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You yourself know that made the mistake of losing to lower the limit you decide to win more on the larger, just use bankroll management and try again. But remember that you have to afford to put in the game as much as you can afford to lose.

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a better bankroll management. Playing nl5 or higher with 40$ is just a really bad BRM. You set yourself with it under a big pressure. It doesn't help you to learn the game.
If you lose some money don't think "I have to win it back!" This also set you under big unnecessary pressure.
When you loose a pot think about "Why?". I some cases its a bad beat, but in most you did something wrong.
Don't call because you want to see what he has, or you think "I dont beleive he had this!", but all signs shown he had it.

Mindset is extreme important. At the beginning all loosing money, but important is to learn from the mistakes. Try it with much patience.

The case you descripe was a tilt. When you get again in such a situation, make a break.
There are much much more things, but go step by step an be patient.

greets
Bhuelse

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, so I've been playing seriously for almost a month now, I seem to win sometimes in cash games and sometimes I dont but today I did really bad and busted again with just a little 40$ I deposited the other day, I got in a 5nl game and lost 5$ on the 2nd hand i played, set of 10s lost to flush, then i did something stupid and played 25nl and of course lost again and then went back to 5nl got up to 6.85 and then slowly lost again and then got kind of upset and disappointed and lost the rest in a 10$ SnG, I'm not sure if I should save up a legitimate bank roll and try again or if I should just give it up, I want to try again with a legitimate roll but it seems like I would probably just lose it and be mad, i was just wondering how long it took some of you guys to start winning and if i should continue to pursue this or if should just try to find something else, any advice or suggestions are greatly apprecaiated thanks.
Well, if I ask you and you answer me, study the game, maybe I do not believe you - or maybe I believe you're studying, but you're just another indiciplined at the tables. If you've studied bankroll control, you should know that $ 40 should not be sitting at any cash game table, even if the total buy-in is $ 1, anyway, you'd be wrong. because you must have at least 100 buy-ins to play comfortably and without much risk. So I suggest that if you have already studied, try to maintain discipline because it is through it that you will know if there is any future in this game. If you do not have 100 full buy-ins, do not play. If your interest is cash game complete your 100buy-in playing
sit go of 0.25, which will give you a buy-in of 160 if you realize it's not working well, go for a $ 0.10 sit-in and just go back to playing cash game with 100 full buy-ins. And if you do this and break you need to review your entire game as it will be shown that the problem is in it. Good luck.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try all categories of games and find a plus...

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me you should have taken a break. If I’m reading your post right, it seems this happened quickly and not over a few days. After you lost, you kept playing but probably didn’t have the right mind set and we’re tilting a bit.

As others have said, bankroll management is key. Keep your buy ins to about 1% of your bankroll. Try some freerolls so you can just play the game without worrying about losing money.

If you aren’t enjoying playing then don’t play. You will not be in the right mind to be effective.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That seems to me tilt. When this happens, quit the game and go to recess. Another thing, you have to keep your bankroll well managed. only play what can pay for things to come back naturally .

S

scubasteve1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I greatly appreciate the replies everybody, and yea I feel like it was a pretty bad tilt situation combined with really poor BR management, I've decided I'll give it another run and keep working on my game, I did get a little 2$ cash bonus, played for about an hour and a half and got it up to 2.51 but didnt really get a whole lot to work with, I'm taking a short little break and then I'm going to play some free rolls for the rest of the night/morning and then play some more cash games tomorrow, but like I said I greatly appreciate the responses and thanks everybody.

S

scubasteve1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if I ask you and you answer me, study the game, maybe I do not believe you - or maybe I believe you're studying, but you're just another indiciplined at the tables. If you've studied bankroll control, you should know that $ 40 should not be sitting at any cash game table, even if the total buy-in is $ 1, anyway, you'd be wrong. because you must have at least 100 buy-ins to play comfortably and without much risk. So I suggest that if you have already studied, try to maintain discipline because it is through it that you will know if there is any future in this game. If you do not have 100 full buy-ins, do not play. If your interest is cash game complete your 100buy-in playing
sit go of 0.25, which will give you a buy-in of 160 if you realize it's not working well, go for a $ 0.10 sit-in and just go back to playing cash game with 100 full buy-ins. And if you do this and break you need to review your entire game as it will be shown that the problem is in it. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm aware that my bankroll was definitely insufficient for the games I was playing, 40$ was just what i had on me to play with at the time, and in terms of studying, I've mainly been watching videos of other people playing to see how they play in certain situations and I've been reading articles and forum posts, however I have been looking for something like a book or an online course to study with but I've read that a lot of the books are outdated and that the overall game has changed a lot since they were published, I was wondering if you might have any suggestions in terms of quality study material such as books or courses or anything like that, any suggestion is greatly appreciated, thanks.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply, and I'm aware that my bankroll was definitely insufficient for the games I was playing, 40$ was just what i had on me to play with at the time, and in terms of studying, I've mainly been watching videos of other people playing to see how they play in certain situations and I've been reading articles and forum posts, however I have been looking for something like a book or an online course to study with but I've read that a lot of the books are outdated and that the overall game has changed a lot since they were published, I was wondering if you might have any suggestions in terms of quality study material such as books or courses or anything like that, any suggestion is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I can make some suggestions, but it will be one at a time. to save time and you have a learning in an organized way.

Texas Holdem:
Cash game
MTT
Learn the opening hands range by number of players, position and style.
You can download an application called "equilab" is free - just can not leave it open with pokerstar is illegal.
if you do not want to download - here in the forum have these tables, and google also has them.

S

scubasteve1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can make some suggestions, but it will be one at a time. to save time and you have a learning in an organized way.

Texas Holdem:
Cash game
MTT
Learn the opening hands range by number of players, position and style.
You can download an application called "equilab" is free - just can not leave it open with pokerstar is illegal.
if you do not want to download - here in the forum have these tables, and google also has them.

Thanks I appreciate it a lot, I've been working on learning more about range and equity, I did download it and checked it out, I'm trying to work with it some more and get a better understanding of range and equity, I didnt really get to play online today though, I actually went and played my first live game, it was a pretty great time although I only lasted an hour and 10 minutes and was the 2nd person knocked out from a small field of 17, took down a few good pots and chipped up decent but was pretty nervous the whole time and hit a straight but was too focused on counting my chips and making sure I called right to take into consideration that he might have me beat, I had Q9 and he had QA and he raised and It put me all in, normally online I would've folded that in a heart beat with a straight draw the way it was, but I was too nervous and focusing too much on making sure I played right, had a really great time though, was definitely a lot more fun than being on the laptop and I plan on going back tomorrow for sure, but I appreciate the help and suggestion a lot, thanks.