G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys,

Is it a bad idea to limp with very strong hands like AA, KK, QQ and play them not so aggressive at the beginning?

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually limp is a very weak play. But sometimes... just a few times, it might work. Like in the squeeze trap or even when you are playing the tight role in an aggresive table and try to limp in the SB, if BB raise you can 3-bet.

Things like that.
But usually limping is a play for fools.

They use more often.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think that such a game is productive for such hands
it is advisable to play aggressively with these hands immediately in position
if not in position then it is already possible to try another action

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you know your opponent, it can be very profitable. LAG players will pay you off, but if you limp you can also trap yourself against garbage hands.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to limp in ring games where someone is being overly aggressive and is almost literally not even paying attention to who calls or anything. Although these times are rare, it almost always works.

I think the biggest issue that I run into with limping in with strong hands is looking odd on the flop if you're out of position. It is great if you are in position and checks to you and you bet (like you're trying to take the pot) and the person checking their top pair raises you.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only limp if you have an agro player behind you who you know is going to raise against a limp.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really it's only a good idea if you know another player will raise before the flop so you can come over the top. The danger is that if too many players invest in the pot you may get more players staying in. The more players, the more likely you will lose.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping in or playing aggressive in my opinion is based on the players at the table. You have to figure out which strategy will benefit you the most at any given time however, remember that limping in can always give a weak hand time to catch up and beat you. Caution is advised.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience has taught me that in general you don't have to limp good hands. The chances of winning are reduced and sometimes you get less profit

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to build the pot with those hands. If you're short stacked or the players behind you are short stacked in tournaments limping could be a viable option.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys,

Is it a bad idea to limp with very strong hands like AA, KK, QQ and play them not so aggressive at the beginning?

You can do this but you have to be ready to fold these very strong hands.

Usually it is worth raising to narrow the field and get junk hands to fold. Now your opponents should be left with good and medium hands. This helps to narrow your opponents' range.

And....you deserve more money in the pot with your super strong hands.

It will be hard to fold AA when you have 5 or 6 limpers that see a flop - but you might have to.

Good luck !

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I think it’s silly to be lame in the early position, players with a garbage hand that flop wins against your AA or AK will come in, I try to get a weak hand preflop, but it was that bluffing preflop helped to get a good pot, as well as being in out against 4.5. I raise the bet, it is better less, but more reliable than being beaten by a trifle. Sincerely, Sergey.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If limping isn't in your arsenal, you probably isn't losing any EV.

It is a little hard to extract positive EV from limping. It implies you need someone to raise you, which if you don't have a manic going left of you odds are not to good.

So limp away if you know there is a manic that is always reraising.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you know your opponent, it can be very profitable. LAG players will pay you off, but if you limp you can also trap yourself against garbage hands.

Absolutely agree. That is the most accurate comment, because if you know your opponent, sometimes you can limp ,because knowing he will be very aggressive and can take easily his chips. But on the other hand, if you limp , everybody can call with stupid hands and on the flop if you can not hit anything, your strong pair can be very vulnerable.:)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I do not like doing "LIMP" at all ... even if I have a strong hand ... I think that in order to take advantage of that movement you have to know your opponents very well ... otherwise it is not worth it

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to limp, and I'm even a little afraid to do it!
I believe this can only be done when you have 100% nats, and this first can only be found out after the flop, and on the turn and river it can change.
For me, the joy of limp's victory is not as memorable as the frustration of reaching the opponent's victory!!

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Constantly limping playing is a big mistake. I do not raise with these hands if the opponent is already used to my raises and I need to catch the opponent. This may be necessary at the final stage of the game when 4 or fewer players are left at the last table.But this I did when playing tournaments with virtual chips

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands