Limits

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know this has been asked hundreds ot times, so please forgive me. I have a $20 bankroll, my question is, what limits should I be playing. After 8 years of on-line poker I'm determined to learn to play cash games. I'm strictly a tournament player.
Thanks

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most would say that's not even enough to play 2NL, but that is where you've gotta start. 20 buy-ins is usually considered the minimum bankroll requirement for a given level. Good luck!

mamutmamut

mamutmamut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you know fundamentals, 20 dollars is enough to start at 2NL...I would recommend ZOOM/FAST poker, it is really soft...You will play a ton of hands and learn a lot from zoom games...And most importanly: Stick to your bankroll management and move up only if you are sure that you can go back in stakes (which is NOT easy). I would recommend 22 buy-ins for 2NL and 5NL at least. GL! :)

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If 20 dollars is all you have, I would try some of the micro tables and grind out a little more cash before you invest it all on one table/hand. You probably won't make too much at those tables, but you won't lose your whole bank roll either. And you can easily double up your roll as well if play it right.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I follow the 20 BI rule. Since the lowest stakes most sites offer is .02/.04 and I believe in buying in for 100 blinds, I won't play the smallest cash games until my br is $80.

It takes awhile to build up from FRs, but I know you can do it! You're one of the best freerollers I know of.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a $20 roll, just play the lowest level available of whatever type of game you want to play. Don't get too caught up in needing to have 20 or 30 buyins. It's just $20. For instance, if you want to play cash and the lowest stakes are NL2, you're more likely to lose an entire $20 roll than a larger one. If you want to play with 10 or even 5 buyins, I look at that as similar to taking a shot up from your current level at the next level up. In this case, your current level is not playing.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rule of thumb: at least 100xBB = BR.
Meaning: With your $20, you should be in a .2/.1 limit cash game.
Goodluck on a cash game table.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this has been asked hundreds ot times, so please forgive me. I have a $20 bankroll, my question is, what limits should I be playing. After 8 years of on-line poker I'm determined to learn to play cash games. I'm strictly a tournament player.
Thanks

Great question. I'm in the same boat, having played only online tournaments but I know I need to venture out into the ring. Please keep us updated with your success. I'll be rooting for you ;)