Let's test our Probability Skill: Monty Hall problem

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This problem is from the movie "21". What is your answer?

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, it is
simple probability question
before you had 33% chance that chosen door was right, now it`s 50% for second door to be with the car, so choice is here door 2 then

A

ArcticWolf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it is to your advantage, 33% -> 50% I remember it was something like a moving window of probability.

Don't see much relation to poker probabilities though.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have heard about this situation. You pick door 2. Better percentage of getting car.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys will be shocked by the correct answer. Guaranteed!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen this before, but didn't buy it then either.

Yes, we have a 50% chance of being right if we change our selection, but we also have a 50% chance of being right by sticking with the original answer. This is because this is a new decision that has no dependence on the first decision. We were not required to predict a sequence of events, but are making two distinct decisions.

So where is the advantage?

The typical explanation is that because we had a 33% chance of being right when we made our first decision, then this is still our probability if we don't change. This is mathematics mumbo-jumbo. The math isn't wrong, it is just that the math is using the wrong constraints and assumptions. We we are making a second decision with a new set of constraints, so what difference does it make what our odds were before we make the second decision?

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen this before, but didn't buy it then either.

Yes, we have a 50% chance of being right if we change our selection, but we also have a 50% chance of being right by sticking with the original answer. This is because this is a new decision that has no dependence on the first decision. We were not required to predict a sequence of events, but are making two distinct decisions.

So where is the advantage?

The typical explanation is that because we had a 33% chance of being right when we made our first decision, then this is still our probability if we don't change. This is mathematics mumbo-jumbo. The math isn't wrong, it is just that the math is using the wrong constraints and assumptions. We we are making a second decision with a new set of constraints, so what difference does it make what our odds were before we make the second decision?

Some say 33%. Some say 50%. But no one can guess the correct answer.
The correct answer is You change the door because when you change the door your probablity of winning is 2/3 (66%). I was shocked at first also. Lots of professors also rejected this but it was proven by simple math and simulations.:)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
«Winner, winner, chicken dinner!»
Don't believe them. They saw the answer in the movie.:icon_rr: