Leaving 1 chip behind?

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know about others but if I do this it's always just a missclick. To be more accurate, a misswheel. When you try to set your betting amount using mouse wheel, not the all-in button, and release it not in right time.

pundim

pundim

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It can be someone trying to act like he/she is bluffing (mocking the situation that they want to steal the pot leaving some chips left in case of the bluff goes wrong) but in the end they have a strong hand

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's on the bubble of a tournament, by leaving one chip behind they might be able to stay in the game long enough to min cash if they lose the hand.

The 1 chip only matters if the bet is called by an opponent with a larger stack, and that opponent should really always be raising rather than calling so that final chip has to be committed.

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is just to intimidate, then he shows you A3, poker is mental many when they have the big blind what they do is re-raise with value cards, To checkers and things like that. are those who buy the classes of zeros :eek:

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it is just an error on the players part -- I don't believe it is any type of strategy because let's face it, during the smallest blinds they would be all in the very next hand . . .

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That seems room specific , not that easy to do in many rooms.
I have seen weird people bet funny or odd amounts like 666 or 420 , or even their pocket pairs, cards like 88 , 99 or 1010.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this quite a bit. If you are on the bubble and you have a hand but you're tanking to try to get into the money. You can max tank your time bank and leave chips behind then if someone raises you get the opportunity to tank once again.

Another reason I see people doing this is sometimes if you leave chips behind opponents don't see it as an All In push and may fold not realizing you are effectively shoving your stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some might do it, because they hope, someone will just call and then check all the way to showdown, so that they are still in the tournament, even they lose the hand. Others might hope, someone will just call and then make a mistake by folding, when they move in on the flop for their last chip.

And then there are the payjump situations. On the bubble most MTTs have hand for hand play, and when that is already in play, there is no particular advantage in leaving a few chips behind. Unless of course you hope for the just call and check down to river scenario.

But if the MTT is not yet in hand for hand mode, then buying more time can make it go into hand for hand mode, which gives you a chance of cashing, even you bust in the hand. This is because, if multible players bust in the same round, ranking will be based on chips before the hand started. So maybe you had 15.000 chips and got busted, but someone else only had 14.000 chips and also busted, and then they are the bubble boy.

And then there are the payjump situations, where usually hand for hand play does not exist. If for instance 37 is left, and there is a payjump at 36, then you dont ever want to be all in and at risk without delaying the action as much as possible. And by leaving a chip behind you ensure, that you get at least one more time allocation to run down.

You can also save your time bank for later, if everyone folds to your jam. So if you have for instance 15.000 chips and it folds to you, the best move is to raise to 14.000 chips after using all your regular time. Then if someone puts you all in, you dont call, until either someone has busted on another table securing you the payjump, or you are about to run out of time bank.

Please note though, that if you do this on ACR, they are allowed to close your account and steal your money, because then you are breaking their TOS. But on any normal and sensible poker site, this is part of tournament poker strategy, and I have seen the hosts of pokerstars talk about it in streams.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what????

Alguns podem fazê-lo, porque esperam que alguém simplesmente pague e verifique até o showdown, de modo que ainda estão no torneio, mesmo que percam a mão. Outros podem esperar que alguém simplesmente pague e cometa um erro ao desistir, quando entrar no flop com sua última ficha.

E depois há as situações de salto de pagamento. Na bolha, a maioria dos MTTs joga mão a mão, e quando isso já está em jogo, não há nenhuma vantagem particular em deixar algumas fichas para trás. A menos, é claro, que você espere pelo cenário justo de call e check down to river.

Mas se o MTT ainda não está disponível para o modo mão, então ganhar mais tempo pode fazer com que ele entre no modo mão, o que lhe dá a chance de ganhar dinheiro, mesmo que você perca a mão. Isso ocorre porque, se vários jogadores forem eliminados na mesma rodada, a classificação será baseada nas fichas antes do início da mão. Então talvez você tivesse 15.000 fichas e foi eliminado, mas outra pessoa tinha apenas 14.000 fichas e também foi eliminada, e então eles são o bubble boy.

E depois há as situações de salto de pagamento, onde geralmente não existe jogo mão a mão. Se, por exemplo, restar 37 e houver um salto de pagamento em 36, então você não quer estar totalmente envolvido e em risco sem atrasar a ação tanto quanto possível. E, ao deixar um chip para trás, você garante que terá pelo menos mais uma alocação de tempo para esgotar.

Você também pode economizar seu tempo para mais tarde, se todos concordarem com sua geléia. Portanto, se você tem, por exemplo, 15.000 fichas e desiste até você, a melhor jogada é aumentar para 14.000 fichas depois de usar todo o seu tempo regular. Então, se alguém coloca você all-in, você não paga, até que alguém esteja em outra mesa garantindo o salto de pagamento ou você esteja prestes a ficar sem tempo.

Observe, porém, que se você fizer isso no ACR, eles poderão encerrar sua conta e roubar seu dinheiro, porque você estará violando seus TOS. Mas em qualquer site de pôquer normal e sensato, isso faz parte da estratégia de torneio de pôquer, e eu vi os anfitriões do PokerStars falarem sobre isso em streams.

friend, how can this happen?
I always play there and I see no logic in it.
really????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
friend, how can this happen?
I always play there and I see no logic in it.
really????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you are talking about ACR, then they have a paragraph about "unethical behaviour", which in their opinion includes stalling:

Americas Cardroom

5. Unethical behavior:

5.0 WPN reserves the right to deem some gameplay behavior as systematic predatory practices, which are unethical and detrimental to our poker community. Such predatory practices are strongly discouraged and players who engage in them may be penalized by WPN in its sole discretion, as listed in the 1.5 penalties section.
WPN considers the following predatory practices to be prohibited, including but not limited to the following:
5.1 Grimming: The practice to consistently play the small blind (SB) and skip the big blind (BB).
5.2 Ratholing: The practice of intentionally leaving a table and returning with a smaller amount of chips shortly after.
5.3 Bumhunting: The practice of over-targeting a certain player population, or a specific player.
5.4 Chat abuse: The practice of either disclosing hand in play information or suggestions, as well the verbal, offensive abuse.
5.5 Stalling: Deliberating delaying the action in a game to gain an advantage over your opponents on different tables from the same tournament
5.6 Penalties resulting on verified violation of this section are detailed in the 1.5 Penalties section

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are talking about ACR, then they have a paragraph about "unethical behaviour", which in their opinion includes stalling:

Americas Cardroom

5. Unethical behavior:

5.0 WPN reserves the right to deem some gameplay behavior as systematic predatory practices, which are unethical and detrimental to our poker community. Such predatory practices are strongly discouraged and players who engage in them may be penalized by WPN in its sole discretion, as listed in the 1.5 penalties section.
WPN considers the following predatory practices to be prohibited, including but not limited to the following:
5.1 Grimming: The practice to consistently play the small blind (SB) and skip the big blind (BB).
5.2 Ratholing: The practice of intentionally leaving a table and returning with a smaller amount of chips shortly after.
5.3 Bumhunting: The practice of over-targeting a certain player population, or a specific player.
5.4 Chat abuse: The practice of either disclosing hand in play information or suggestions, as well the verbal, offensive abuse.
5.5 Stalling: Deliberating delaying the action in a game to gain an advantage over your opponents on different tables from the same tournament
5.6 Penalties resulting on verified violation of this section are detailed in the 1.5 Penalties section
Wow never knew that about ACR, don't play their much being in UK but that seems a bit of a daft rule. I get it consistent tanking by the same player at your table can get really annoying but first time seen this type of rule in a pokersites TOS.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its the "non allin allin" it can be used for many reasons:
1. Unaware players and busy multitablers may not recognize that you are effectively allin and they are priced in to call, but they mistaking just consider it as a raise and fold.
2. It can be used as a stalling technique ie you get another chance to time bank it if you are raised.
3. The other players have to raise you more to get you allin, thus they are making a bigger commitment especially if there are players left to act behind them.

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw many players re-raise almost all-in but 1 chips left. Why is that ?

Frankly, this can only be a mouse click error or something.
But as you say you've seen a lot of players do that, maybe they're just fish, or they're even learning.
Haha

Good luck at the tables!

O

OpenYAGAMI

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Unaware players and busy multitablers may not recognize that you are effectively allin and they are priced in to call, but they mistaking just consider it as a raise and fold.
2. It can be used as a stalling technique ie you get another chance to time bank it if you are raised.
3. The other players have to raise you more to get you allin, thus they are making a bigger commitment especially if there are players left to act behind them.
Thanks for the answer. These reasons make sense.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because I was taught "Don't spend it all in one place"

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the stalling technique to get a few more seconds when it's really close to the bubble. Never thought of that before!

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People do that when they're in the bubble. They want to go all in, but they also want to get the most time possible to be able to make sure they make into the money. You can get at least 30 more seconds w this strategy, which might be really helpful.

joebenigno

joebenigno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always thought it would be a sick angle in live games if someone was consistently going all-in $1 short of their stack so even if the opponent has the nuts and reshoves for the $1 more, the opponent has to show first

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's on the bubble of a tournament, by leaving one chip behind they might be able to stay in the game long enough to min cash if they lose the hand.

The 1 chip only matters if the bet is called by an opponent with a larger stack, and that opponent should really always be raising rather than calling so that final chip has to be committed.

That's exactly the reason I do it, I'm playing the leaderboard that your finished position give your an amount of points, most of the time I have a big time bank to spend and, if the villain folds I get the pot and if not letting one chip behind is enough to wait a little more to see if someone gets eliminated first

S

swalsh18

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
its a tactic in a tournament incase you need to find a fold somewhere.

say its final 5 your the short stack an you know you are probably at best getting 4th 5th place you raise 90% of you stack then you get 2-3 all ins behind you, should fold 100% of your range (yes even AA, unless you are playing for the win) if one person has the others covered, it gives them the opportunity to bust them and you go up 2 pay places wich can be a significant amount when comparing your chips with ICM (indipendent chip model)

not sure about why anyone would do this in a cash game though

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
"
"

Yes, the reason #3 is the main when you`re playing bounty tournaments. The fake all in make all the difference to reduce the number of opponents, because the next player needs to reraise trying your bounty, and it can be dangerous for him when there`s some left guys to act. If you go directly all in, you get 2, 3, 500.000 calls.... when you left a chip behind, betting 1500 for example, the next needs to risk 3000 and not 1501. He can get a 4bet over him, putting their stack on risk. So, he folds if not sure.

meagain00

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I saw many players re-raise almost all-in but 1 chips left. Why is that ?
Most of the time they are just representing having a very good hand, when, in fact, they are very weak. A bluff waiting for the lady luck.
This is how I see it.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not only the bubble but also to survive the next pay jump if you are already in the money

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's not a bluff or any gimmick, it's happened to me a few times, an opponent goes all inn and I end up accepting and one or more chips are left, when it happens there's no way back.
They are a consequence of the play