Learning while underage

A

Andrus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing poker but i am underage. Because of that i only play with play money on zynga poker and pokerstars. But is play money going to Hurt my skills? I have read lots of articles and books, i know a lot of the game. i love playing poker but how can i train/improve my skills While i am underage? I dont think play money is a good way to get better, i dont have any fold equity in play money!!

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you adapt your game to beat play money then that's a good sign you can adapt your game to beat 2NL and then so on.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play money games are not poker...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read more articles at poker sites. play with your friends
theory without practice is nothing in poker.
pay attention to tilt control.
+ play money is not the way - it is not a poker to learn from

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you know what fold equity is, and you know you don't have very much so sounds like u got potential 😝 study as much as u can. Browse the forums regularly read what people have to say and when your time comes you can crush

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say no.

Instead, look up Jonathan Little's hand analysis on youtube. He has about 60+ hands analyzed from cash games and MTTs and he breaks down his thinking and decision very carefully.

One thing you can do is to watch an episode on mute and, as the hand plays out, think about your decisions and actions you would make. Take note if you would've done something different, like fold to a raise or you would've went all in on river, etc. Just try not to be biased in your decisions as you can see both hole cards. On the video, he does label the players as TAG, LAG, etc, so you can get a general idea of their play style. Then afterwards, replay the video and listen to the analysis and see how your thought process was the similar or different.

Another thing you could do is watch twitch streams of players like Jason Somerville. They'll also do analysis of hands they're playing.

T

Tu Ng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say no.

Instead, look up Jonathan Little's hand analysis on youtube. He has about 60+ hands analyzed from cash games and MTTs and he breaks down his thinking and decision very carefully.

One thing you can do is to watch an episode on mute and, as the hand plays out, think about your decisions and actions you would make. Take note if you would've done something different, like fold to a raise or you would've went all in on river, etc. Just try not to be biased in your decisions as you can see both hole cards. On the video, he does label the players as TAG, LAG, etc, so you can get a general idea of their play style. Then afterwards, replay the video and listen to the analysis and see how your thought process was the similar or different.

Another thing you could do is watch twitch streams of players like Jason Somerville. They'll also do analysis of hands they're playing.

Wow thanks for the suggestion for the Jonathan Little's hand analysis. Some really grate videos for noobs like me.

H

hayden536

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used an App on my phone while in high school and thats how i learned the basics.

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to do that to learn. If you play high stakes, so you will find good players! anyway there is really some differences.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well you know what fold equity is, and you know you don't have very much so sounds like u got potential 😝 study as much as u can. Browse the forums regularly read what people have to say and when your time comes you can crush

Excellent advice. :cool:

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing poker but i am underage. Because of that i only play with play money on zynga poker and pokerstars. But is play money going to Hurt my skills? I have read lots of articles and books, i know a lot of the game. i love playing poker but how can i train/improve my skills While i am underage? I dont think play money is a good way to get better, i dont have any fold equity in play money!!
There is a big difference beetween play mone and real money. I was underaged when i started playing poker and i was playing playing play money and freerolls.
But ive won a weekly round 2 ticket so i played for real money then i won 4$ and i went on a real money buy in. I think you dnt need to deposit but you need to try to win some real money on freerolls :)

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Real money effects players decisions

There is a big difference beetween play mone and real money. I was underaged when i started playing poker and i was playing playing play money and freerolls.
But ive won a weekly round 2 ticket so i played for real money then i won 4$ and i went on a real money buy in. I think you dnt need to deposit but you need to try to win some real money on freerolls :)

Totally agree. Can't advocate that underage should be playing poker, but unless you are playing for real money (after building up a bit of a bank roll from freerolls), then its not poker. Even at the 1/2 cent tables, people value their money and the effects their decisions.