Learning plan - feedback wanted!

I

im1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there, so I've been playing poker for fun on and off for the past couple of years but I've started to take it more seriously in the last two months. I got a rough draft for a learning plan down and would like some feedback on what is important to learn and other resources I should check out. This is what I have so far:

• Preflop strategy
  • Mathematical perspective of poker
  • Bet sizing
  • Player types
  • Hand reading, putting opponents on a range
  • How to play from different positions
  • GTO: Game Theory Optimization
  • Bluffing
  • Cash game
  • Tournament games

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
M

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like you're well on course to burn yourself out! You've basically listed a whole bunch of things, personally I wouldn't study cash and tournaments at the same time...
I would start with hand ranges from each position and know what to do with the action that has happened before you eg opening with 88 on the button is obvious enough but what do you do if utg opens and it folds to you on the button with 88 what if it was the cut off that opened?
Always be keeping an eye on player tendencies, you can look into how exactly to combat a lag vs a tag etc but just being able to spot them is a good start... then learn the basic maths to start with spr, pot odds, implied and reverse implied odds and counting your outs!
After you're fluent enough in those areas then add something else like flop play, in and out of position but take it slowly and practice what you're learning every session!
Not saying the other stuff isn't important but if you're only beginning to study then start with those!

I

im1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I forgot to mention that I was going to take those topics one at a time hahaha so like one topic per week I'd read up and watch videos on and play on pokerstars.

But that does make sense, first focus on my range in the positions. Any good resources you'd recommend or things that helped you?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make a plan,follow that plan,,,,,,,always deliver! :D

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any training will benefit, I know by myself, if something is repeated and put it into practice the game improves. The list also includes the pot odds:turtle: .

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus

It's true a lot of poker theory can be used across the board, but I would focus on a specific task, such as, which games do you like to play the most. For me it's SnGs. For you it might be MTTs or ring games. Once you become confident and proficient in one game then you can add another to your repertoire. That doesn't mean you can't occasionally enter a game outside your focus, but concentrate mainly on what you enjoy playing the most.

It is my experience the starting hands you play, your range, is a major determining factor in whether you succeed or fail. I play tight unless I find myself in a game where all the other players are also so tight their hair squeaks when they rub their scalps. Then I open up my range and become even more aggressive.

May the poker gods favor your journey

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great plan. If you haven't yet, I hope you'll check out me and Katie's course. The GTO and cash game-specific content is a bit lighter than the rest but we otherwise cover all the topics you listed. Good luck!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your plan is a good one - and you can pretty much find most of that stuff in the course Collin linked for you.

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn 2 things
First, what hands beat what hand ( Sounds like a DUH comment) but you'd be surprised how many people don't know what beats what.

Second, Know your position at the table example you don't want to throw out bluff if you have a lot of the players coming behind you,
All that other stuff like note-taking does nothing but take your mind off of the game. A good player changes up their play constantly so why waste the time trying to figure out their style of play. Play as much as your time allows the more you play the better you get