late stage 9 max sngs

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing a lot of these sngs and I cash a lot but a lot of times it's just the 3rd place. So, what hands do I play when I'm around 20 bb for example and there's 4 players left? What hands do I raise with? Should I raise with hands like K10s, Q10s, suited connectors from the button? Should I fold them utg? In my opinion, I fold these hands if the table is aggresive, but on the other hand people is gonna run me over because they see me folding almost every hand.

Second situation, there's 3 players left, 2 of us are short stack(12-15bb) and there's one big stack, he raises almost every hand or goes all in. What hands should I go all in against him? Hands like KJ off suit, KQ off suit are okay to go all in or not? I would say yes because the big stack can't have good cards all the time.

One more thing, should I raise A10 offsuit in both of these situations? I don't know how to play this hand. Thanks in advance.

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi :)

1. It depends on the opponents at the table. If the table is rather tight, I raise here with Q10s and K10s. If I have a super aggressive player in front of me I prefer to fold it.

You can still adjust it if you feel that your opponents are running over you. But that is e.g. smaller limits like $ 3.50 - $ 7.50 don't happen. There are too many tables and players play the multi tables. At higher limits where you often meet the same players you may have to adjust your game.

2. Yes, I think that hands like KJo and KQo are fine here. In this situation, you don't have enough head start to secure 2nd place because both small stacks are pretty much the same.

3. I play A10o like in the first example with the 4 players left.

With 3 players left if I and the other small stack have the same number of chips (12-15 BB) i shove here A10o.

Shove is for me better than opening here. Because, if you have 2-3 BB more than the 3rd place, the chip leader could simply push any two in this ITM situation.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are my answers:

1. You should usually play suited broadway hands from all positions 4-handed with 20bb. At most low-stakes tables, I would min-raise (or 2.25x raise at most). Against stronger opponents who will shove wide over your small raises, you can open-shove these hands even at 20bb because of bubble ICM.

A lot of these situations just depend on the table and what you can get away with. If people are passive, raise a lot of hands. If they're maniacs, then fold much more and let your opponents collide.

2. Shove very wide over his small raises, at minimum the magic range of 22+ A2s+ JTs+. For calling, use ICM software like ICMizer or the free tools at Holdem Resources.

3. Shove with the ATo here just like Anglermeister says!

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are my answers:

1. You should usually play suited broadway hands from all positions 4-handed with 20bb. At most low-stakes tables, I would min-raise (or 2.25x raise at most). Against stronger opponents who will shove wide over your small raises, you can open-shove these hands even at 20bb because of bubble ICM.

A lot of these situations just depend on the table and what you can get away with. If people are passive, raise a lot of hands. If they're maniacs, then fold much more and let your opponents collide.

2. Shove very wide over his small raises, at minimum the magic range of 22+ A2s+ JTs+. For calling, use ICM software like ICMizer or the free tools at Holdem Resources.

3. Shove with the ATo here just like Anglermeister says!
What If I open from the utg with KQs and someone with similiar stack to me goes all in? Do I call or fold this?
Appreciate all the answers.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What If I open from the utg with KQs and someone with similiar stack to me goes all in? Do I call or fold this?
Appreciate all the answers.

No problem!

If you raise KQs on the bubble from the CO and someone shoves for 20bb effective, you have to fold because of ICM. For this reason, against good players who will attack your opens frequently with 3-bet shoves but call with a fairly correct range if you move all-in to begin with, it's often better to just over-bet shove yourself.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem!

If you raise KQs on the bubble from the CO and someone shoves for 20bb effective, you have to fold because of ICM. For this reason, against good players who will attack your opens frequently with 3-bet shoves but call with a fairly correct range if you move all-in to begin with, it's often better to just over-bet shove yourself.
I asked because a lot of times I didn't have any patience and I went all in a lot of times with cards like KQs and lost. Yesterday I played a game where there was 4 players left. I had 6 bb, something around that. The table was very aggresive, especially towards me because they wanted to knock me out. I was very patient and I was playing only good hands. I won a couple all ins with cards like AK, 99, QQ. I folded cards like QJ, KJ (I probably shouldn't have)etc while having 6-7 bb, don't remember the exact number. I placed 2nd in the end because they started eliminating themselves by going all in with bad cards. :D

I gotta look more into the ICM thing, I get the concept but I have to look into it more.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No problem!

I asked because a lot of times I didn't have any patience and I went all in a lot of times with cards like KQs and lost. Yesterday I played a game where there was 4 players left. I had 6 bb, something around that. The table was very aggresive, especially towards me because they wanted to knock me out. I was very patient and I was playing only good hands. I won a couple all ins with cards like AK, 99, QQ. I folded cards like QJ, KJ (I probably shouldn't have)etc while having 6-7 bb, don't remember the exact number. I placed 2nd in the end because they started eliminating themselves by going all in with bad cards. :D

I gotta look more into the ICM thing, I get the concept but I have to look into it more.

Another reason to open-shove against a good player here has to do with fold equity. By us moving all-in, we are applying the maximum pressure we can - remember that forcing everyone else to fold is a result we are happy with as we take down the pot right there with zero percent chance at a suckout/being outdrawn even if our cards were ahead at the shove.

Also, you may want to check out the cardschat 30 day course if you haven't already lattedank. In fact, Collin Moshman is one of the course instructors. It is a course I highly recommend for beginner/intermediate poker players :)

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another reason to open-shove against a good player here has to do with fold equity. By us moving all-in, we are applying the maximum pressure we can - remember that forcing everyone else to fold is a result we are happy with as we take down the pot right there with zero percent chance at a suckout/being outdrawn even if our cards were ahead at the shove.

Also, you may want to check out the cardschat 30 day course if you haven't already lattedank. In fact, Collin Moshman is one of the course instructors. It is a course I highly recommend for beginner/intermediate poker players :)
I checked out some of the course, good stuff. I watched some bencb videos as well and I've seen how he plays when there's a bubble or 3 players left. It seems like I've played too tight in the late stage of sngs.