Late Decisions, What to bet?

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have often wondered how others think and their betting strategy. For myself, I usually stick to my intuition. I find it difficult to decide on some possible "all-in" situations and would also be great to hear how others feel about that. Thank you.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have often wondered how others think and their betting strategy. For myself, I usually stick to my intuition. I find it difficult to decide on some possible "all-in" situations and would also be great to hear how others feel about that. Thank you.
As far as I understand, for each position the player can use a certain size of the bet and his game in this regard is constant so as not to give out the strength of his hand every time
that is, there is always a standard for the size of the bet in a given situation
..for the all in situation, the strength of your hand also plays an important role, as well as how your opponent is in the fight for the bank and a number of other circumstances
..for a push-fold situation, usually when you have less than 8-10 BB and you are trying to carefully choose a hand to increase your stack or leave the tournament with dignity
victories at the tables

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Pre-flop you should be looking to raise a standard amount. This doesn't mean you should blindly raise to 3BB every time you should enter the pot. Effective stack sizes, position and how the table is playing all plays a part but you should not be basing your raise size on the strength of your hand; anyone paying any sort of attention will soon realise this and adjust accordingly.

Post flop you need to calculate who has the range advantage (normally the pre-flop raiser) and who has the nut advantage (how the board hits the respective ranges).
If you have the range advantage, you should bet often. If you have the nut advantage, you should bet large. Obviously the opposite applies too and you will often have the range advantage, but not the nut advantage, or vice versa.

I would strongly suggest studying up on range and nut advantages and practice when to bet and how much.

Good luck!

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Thank you Matt for the well thought out advice for pre and post flops.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Thank you, Nikolay for the all-in, push-fold, and standard bet advice. Good luck with your game.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

"Intuition" might be misleading or rewarding. It can be misleading if you never put your opponent on ranges. It might be rewarding if you mastered putting on ranges and subconsciuosly ended up with your decision by eliminating hands in his range.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Thank you Arenaci for your advice on placing players on a range. That is a good idea. I am going to apply by logging that thinking in my next game.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The all-in strategy works well in the final stage of the tournament, when the blinds are large enough in relation to the stacks, and there is also an additional bonus in the form of antes. Starting hand requirements are greatly reduced and your range becomes wider depending on your position at the table. From the button position, all-in is possible with almost any two cards. As for intuition in poker, it is either there or not. If you have learned to put your opponent in a range or take into account his behavior in previous hands and so on, this is no longer intuition, but experience and skill. Very often the actions of a player based on intuition are similar to the folly of a maniac, causing bewilderment and even irritation among "experts", after which the latter become easy prey for sharks.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Mara, what you said is very good medicine. Thank you.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
late decision making

when playing poker my rule not to allow my bbs to get under 10 all hands are winning hands played in the right position

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Thank you, Messats. The 10X rule is a good suggestion. Have a great day!

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, Nikolay

Thank you, Nikolay. Keeping my bets the same amount (X3 BB) each time is something I have to work on. Push-Fold can be very tempting at times, especially with less than 8-10 blinds. Thank you, sir, for your reaching out. Have a super day!

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is important but not decisive. Poker is a totally unpredictable game...

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When making a decision, the latter needs to pay attention to the odds of the pot.