LAG Poker

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, after much research and a lot of trial and error, I've determined that the best route for me (generally speaking) is LAG poker.

I mostly play tournaments and, quite often, I can build a stack quickly. This helps me get into a comfortable rhythm.

I'm starting to realize why this is working but would like to read some input from other LAG players out there, since I'm still tweaking some aspects of my game. What about this style is most advantageous to you? Do you have any specific Do/Do Not points you would like to share?

Also, to be fair, I don't mind hearing debate from TAG players. I've faced some tough ones. It's just not for me, personally.

Thanks in advance for the replies. And, as always, best of luck to everyone! :D

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All tactics in their own way are good, everything has its plus and minus

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All tactics in their own way are good, everything has its plus and minus

Hi grumbl! I agree but I think it boils down to one's personality in the end. I played sort of okay when I was trying TAG, but I'm a much more effective LAG player.

It fits my personality perfectly. I like that I can have the appearance of being maniacal, but in reality have some tricks up my sleeve.

Are you a LAG player by chance? If so, do you have any specific tips? Thanks! :)

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not be a LAg or a TAG or a PaL or Rock or anything else!

You should be a player that is constantly looking at ways to exploit the opponents infront of you and use whatever tools you have to achieve this.

If the table are all Passive and Loose, then a TAg strategy works wonders.
If the table are all Aggro and Loose, then a Tight-Passive strategy keeps their bluffs in and allows them to hang themselves.
If the table are Tight and Passive, then a Cautious Semi-Loose aggro game works well ensuring your don't fall into traps.

You play with everything in mind expanding your toolkit and focusing on what the table gives you, and not just some idea of "Oh, I'm a LAg so I need to play overly aggressive when these timid passive players are calling me postflop".

Good luck...

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not be a LAg or a TAG or a PaL or Rock or anything else!

You should be a player that is constantly looking at ways to exploit the opponents infront of you and use whatever tools you have to achieve this.

If the table are all Passive and Loose, then a TAg strategy works wonders.
If the table are all Aggro and Loose, then a Tight-Passive strategy keeps their bluffs in and allows them to hang themselves.
If the table are Tight and Passive, then a Cautious Semi-Loose aggro game works well ensuring your don't fall into traps.

You play with everything in mind expanding your toolkit and focusing on what the table gives you, and not just some idea of "Oh, I'm a LAg so I need to play overly aggressive when these timid passive players are calling me postflop".

Good luck...

While I essentially agree with you, I think that's more of an ideal than a practical approach. Let's say you're playing at a table with nine players total... what are the chances you can classify or label the entire table one way or the other? It's more likely you'll be facing a mix of players and you'll have to find a strategy that hits all of them (or at least a majority) for their chips.

Why I've chosen LAG as my general approach is:

- I easily mow down weak/timid players
- I frustrate tight players because I win a lot of pots and build a chip lead
- I tilt a lot of players into making bad plays because they assume I'm a maniac (usually this is when I hit them with the better/best hand).
- My betting pattern is always equally aggressive regardless of holdings, so it's tough to know what I actually have.

What I find so cool about it is that it seems like I have no plan or tactic, when in reality, nothing could be farther from the truth. It works against the majority of the competition which is really all I care about; it builds the stack.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. Best of luck to you as well! :)

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see some of your logic. I miscommunicated things a little bit.

You should aim to exploit your opponent who is with you in a hand. You make notes and profile them as a particular type of player then manipulate them accordingly.

LAg isn't always the right choice, particularly if they are a calling station who will call A-High.

Besides, Semi-Loose Aggro is often the way to be.

If you are so keen on opening up, it is great against most of the weak-reg infested fields playing TAg. I think we should talk ;)

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
interesting approach, I see some people so when agent comes to mind the guy already're monster.

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anyone is interested in opening up and learning unconvential styles of play, private message me for a study group I would like to form!

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Guys, this looks like a really interesting thread developing here. In tourneys I'm pretty much a TAG, but I alsio like ZOOM....I've had a lot of success stealing I love it when they behave themselves and fold obediently.....

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always thought this was term for a bad player this might work against bad players at higher stakes but that's hard to find. I play micro tourney's and the people i see play this way have chip graph's all over the place meaning they get a big stack but loose it just as fast.Micro players will call you with any two so hard to do there and good players at higher stakes will exploit it. I play this way when on a good run but once i build up a good stack and cards cool down i go tag or even nit depending on situation. The aggressive players i see who do well are the ones making constant small bets and getting out without losing too much stack when they feel they are beaten.My post flop reads are not good enough to master this yet so i take chances early try n build fat stack and then protect it. I hear people saying play tight early but i don't want to invest time and then take chances and if i go out don't want to renter because chip leader is so far ahead. If i take chances early and go out i can reenter without being miles behind leader. That's been my reasoning but i'm kinda new to poker and have just built my own style because most advice i hear sounds like a guide book on how to be a fish.

Last edited:
B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always thought this was term for a bad player this might work against bad players at higher stakes but that's hard to find. I play micro tourney's and the people i see play this way have chip graph's all over the place meaning they get a big stack but loose it just as fast.Micro players will call you with any two so hard to do there and good players at higher stakes will exploit it. I play this way when on a good run but once i build up a good stack and cards cool down i go tag or even nit depending on situation. The aggressive players i see who do well are the ones making constant small bets and getting out without losing too much stack when they feel they are beaten.My post flop reads are not good enough to master this yet so i take chances early try n build fat stack and then protect it.

I'm still new to LAG but the results have been pretty good so far. I only fail when I get bored and make stupid plays or calls. I'm most susceptible after the first hour. Something I'm working on...

Anyway, the key seems to be keeping a consistent betting pattern and knowing when to get out of a hand. From there, it's pretty much a wash-rinse-repeat process.

I'll know more in the coming weeks as I continue to develop it. Looking forward to reading more from the rest of you! :D

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The style involves running hand ranges regularly understanding connectivity of boards and having a full toolkit of tricks to exploit different player types.

It mainly works wonders against TAgs and Nits as it exploits their number one weakness... the "Bet-Fold" behaviour where they bet with the expectation to fold if raised.

Steals, Resteals, IP 3bets, Donk Betting, 2 barreling (flop and turn), check-raising! These are all behaviours that are the bread and butter of the style and work wonders!

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still new to LAG but the results have been pretty good so far. I only fail when I get bored and make stupid plays or calls. I'm most susceptible after the first hour. Something I'm working on...

Anyway, the key seems to be keeping a consistent betting pattern and knowing when to get out of a hand. From there, it's pretty much a wash-rinse-repeat process.

I'll know more in the coming weeks as I continue to develop it. Looking forward to reading more from the rest of you! :D
Like i said i'm new to poker only been playing bout a yr so idk. my post flop game not good enough seems like something for experienced players only

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also find myself starting tourneys playing LAG. Although I really think this strategy is only effective in the beginning stages. After an hour or so I tend to see it becoming less effective and sometimes coming back to bite me. That is usually when you get into playing more tactical, smarter players who will recognize playing styles. I do agree it is a good strategy to build a stack quick to start a tourney off though.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...no doubt you can kick the ass of some fossilized old nits like myself but I'm wondering how it works out when you run into eight other lags at a table which happens often in some of the freerolls and micro tourneys. :D Good luck out there. It's a jungle of lags. :p

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What game and limits do you play? I would love to get in on this action!