• Thread starter Rational Madman
  • Start date
R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
LAG is the future dominant playstyle. The oldschool fish were looser and willing to call a wide range, they are now becoming much more prone to aggression with strength and won't call all that wide a range, your way of profiting lies in bluffing and getting caught, then coolering 2 significant hands later that they pay you off due to you getting caught bluffing earlier on.

If you want to deny the truth, deny it.

LAG fundamental playstyle that switches to TAG with a looser crowd is undeniably the future shark's playstyle and I am going to rise to top of the damn food chain using this.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve been playing a LAG style before it had a name. Anytime I try switching it up I just feel uncomfortable and I can’t read the hand.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been playing a LAG style before it had a name. Anytime I try switching it up I just feel uncomfortable and I can’t read the hand.
^^^^^^^ So much truth.

When you don't know that they fear you calling them, they can just as easily be bluffing as representing real strength. When you begin LAG you later can fold to that big raise at the river as you know you're being slowplayed not bluffed.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a long day. When I first saw the title I thought I was going to be reading an essay on the benefits of a Link Aggregation Group on a network switch. Then it dawned on me. This is a poker site. My work day has finished. :)

I think your point has some merit but generalizations of effective playing styles may be akin to the famous Tyson line regarding his opponents: 'Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth'. What do you do when you get punched in the mouth at the table? Well adhering to the following two principles may help: first, most of your plan should still survive, even after you get popped. And second, the new plan will need to deal with the right now reality of the poker table.

LeonardBuda

LeonardBuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you suggesting LAG for all game types? MTT's, SNG's and Cash Games? In MTT's and SNG's is it for all stages? (early, middle and late)

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a long day. When I first saw the title I thought I was going to be reading an essay on the benefits of a Link Aggregation Group on a network switch. Then it dawned on me. This is a poker site. My work day has finished. :)

LOL:ridinghor

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you suggesting LAG for all game types? MTT's, SNG's and Cash Games? In MTT's and SNG's is it for all stages? (early, middle and late)
Yes but in MTT it is important to consider how loose others are early on before becoming loose yourself.

Also, if you begin to get shortish-stacked, you must consider that you no longer have flexibility with which to be loos because any bet you make will automatically be considered as a tight one since you've got less remaining.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've usually thought this way, but one should certainly & strongly consider the specific "stage of the game", table size, individual player tendencies, chip sizes, and your table position. And, even then, continuably adjusting your game to always be considered "unpredictably predictable" by your opponents. Know your opponents, but always keep them a bit uncertain & confused about how you are playing LAG at the different stages of the game. In other words, "what is, is not; what is not, is".

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I've usually thought this way, but one should certainly & strongly consider the specific "stage of the game", table size, individual player tendencies, chip sizes, and your table position. And, even then, continuably adjusting your game to always be considered "unpredictably predictable" by your opponents. Know your opponents, but always keep them a bit uncertain & confused about how you are playing LAG at the different stages of the game. In other words, "what is, is not; what is not, is".
100% yes, they should never not fear your bets but also never be sure you are showing real strength.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that there is no one style that works all the way trough the game. I agree with much that has been said here. Good points all [emoji4]

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is true men...i see very lags in tables ....but just i play microstake nl2 and nl5 maybe in high stake are more conservate

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LAGS are certainly profitable...for the rest of us at live poker at least. There's some value in LAG style both offline and online...but it's also an easily exploitable style. I've yet to encounter a known LAG able to get away from being trapped.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
LAGS are certainly profitable...for the rest of us at live poker at least. There's some value in LAG style both offline and online...but it's also an easily exploitable style. I've yet to encounter a known LAG able to get away from being trapped.
If you mean a LAG trapping another LAG that is possible yes.

TAG trapping a LAG... Well, that LAG should size their aggression much lower to better judge the other.

Coolers hit all playstyles.

B

bber45

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to disagree. When all the fedor bots came in and started playing lag, people started coming up with strategies to beat them. At the time, LAG was good because everyone was playing TAG and were exploitable.

Best thing going forward is learning to PLAY all styles and make adjustments. Johnathan Little is a master of that along with Doug Polk.

Learn to Play TAG, LAG, Maniac etc. Bottom line it's all about adjustments and making exploits on your opponents.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to disagree. When all the fedor bots came in and started playing lag, people started coming up with strategies to beat them. At the time, LAG was good because everyone was playing TAG and were exploitable.

Best thing going forward is learning to PLAY all styles and make adjustments. Johnathan Little is a master of that along with Doug Polk.

Learn to Play TAG, LAG, Maniac etc. Bottom line it's all about adjustments and making exploits on your opponents.
This is specifically about the current meta in your average online real money game.

B

bber45

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is specifically about the current meta in your average online real money game.

Ahh OK gotcha. Yeah I can see that. Live poker is totally different.

Don't play online anymore but I can imagine check calling is the way to hang lagst

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no such thing as TAG and LAG and all that other BS. Just play good poker and adjust to your opponents.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Poker is a very simple game that you guys are waaaay over-thinking.
You simply need to get a read on your opponents, the rest is gravy.
When I play online, I never use a HUD, I never do past hand analysis, and all that other stupid BS. I get a read on my opponents and let them think they are out-playing me... I do pretty well....

Poker is a game about people, period.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play online, I never use a HUD, I never do past hand analysis, and all that other stupid BS. I get a read on my opponents and let them think they are out-playing me... I do pretty well....

Ok.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I do agree poker is about people but the odds, stack size, table position and what phase in the tournament you are in all factor into how people play. Therefore In order to understand people you need to understand what they are thinking about and what is making them make their choices. Poker is not just about one aspect. It is about playing a well rounded game and being able to adjust accordingly.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do agree poker is about people but the odds, stack size, table position and what phase in the tournament you are in all factor into how people play. Therefore In order to understand people you need to understand what they are thinking about and what is making them make their choices. Poker is not just about one aspect. It is about playing a well rounded game and being able to adjust accordingly.

I agree, however it is much more "simple" than a lot of people try to make it seem.

Your opponent represents a hand.
He is either bluffing or he isn't.
To me, that's the whole game.

Sure you need to understand what the chances are that you will improve your hand over the next few rounds, but that doesn't need to be a science either.

I guess what I am saying is, no limit hold'em is an art, not a science.

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive always naturally been a tighter player, but will maybe have to try this out!