Knowing the correct play

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any tips for knowing the correct play, but doing the opposite.

Example: You have a pocket pair and are raised all-in and know the right move is to fold, but you take a gambling action.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Example: You have a pocket pair and are raised all-in and know the right move is to fold, but you take a gambling action.

That's all down to self discipline and control.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Ask yourself "Why?"

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the stakes but if your getting it in with a low to mid pocket pair your going to be flipping at best with anything there shoving all in with all depends on the action before them. Amount of bbs they have and they could be shoving any Ax or Kx if they are short enough but still practically a flip. Some people will gamble there but should be a fold really

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always think before play, maybe is a easy fold, easy call or easy raise, but I never take a decision without thinking, so I stopped making mistakes by doing something fast.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt

Thanks for posting.

If you know the correct play but take another action it is because you have reached an emotional mind state. That is TILT.

There are many causes for us to leave a rational mindset (good for poker) and become irrational (bad for our bankroll).

Here are two excellent books on the subject.

"The mental Game of Poker" Vol 1-2 Jared Tendler

Hope this helps

:):)

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That part of your brain that decides to call the shove and play a flip pre flop with your pocket 4s is the emotional part of your brain even though you knew you should've shoved since there's not too many hands you're beating. At best, you'll be up against AQ+.
You probably are on a bit of tilt which you're not aware of or you've been folding so much and now that you got a hand with bit of strength, all that pent up action from folding so much, takes over and convinces you to take a leap when you don't have to.
You should ask yourself 'What do I gain by doing this?" and "What are the consequences of doing this?"
You call and lets say you win with a set. Is it really winning though?
The villain who lost and everyone at the table is now aware that you're a recreational, non thinking player. Your table image has changed including how your opponents now play against you (looser ranges most likely).
You're setting yourself up for more headache spots in the future.

Last edited:
kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing that really helps is to simply stop making crazy moves :)

You can start by checking when and why this behavior occurs...
Maybe you should stop playing instantly after bad beats when it's tilt.
Maybe you play sessions that are top long and you lose focus.

Simple approach you can instantly test: Stick a big sign to the top of
your monitor that reads " Don't make the wrong move ! "

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of looking at what you could win, look at what you could lose. If you're in a tournament, is it really worth, losing the potential 1st place prize over a measly double-up?

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everybody says that 2 n 7 offsuit is the worst. BUT, every now and then if I see that people are winning with crap cards I will play the 2n 7 off just for the heck of it. Believe it or not but I have actually won with them a few times. Actually hooked a full house once. I wish it was live poker so that I could have seen their faces at the end!

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its a coin flip decision, you need to have knowledge of the stack sizes and if you will risk your tournament.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and discipline in this case the most staunchest comrades.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I will play the 2n 7 off just for the heck of it. Believe it or not but I have actually won with them a few times.
I wish it was live poker so that I could have seen their faces at the end!

And this is why some folks will see more badbeats in online poker than they do in their live game.
'Some' people playing online poker will play all sorts of garbage due to the anonymity of the game when playing from your livingroom on the internet.

So because a hand can win some times (" a few times " ) you'd be willing to put chips in the middle? Can you see how that just might be contrary to playing winning poker over the longterm? How statistically speaking, that 'investment' of chips just might not be paying off in the long haul? Perhaps it doesn't matter? The enjoyment of beating another player while holding junk outweighs the desire to make plays we've calculated to be profitable for us in the long term (ie. +ev)

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow your pace. Never pusy the button too quickly even yiu hav3 winning hand.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because that's also understood

A fold may be right by all means.

Because that's also understood, You play.