Just heads up?

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This month I had a downswing in tourney buy-ins but started turning it around playing only heads up.

Anyone else deal with sick card dead tilts that way?

I think you can only go so far saying you're a good card player if you can't win heads up a majority of the time.

Do you play more/ win more heads up or do you focus on potential profit of large field sizes?

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience as a daily poker player, I can tell you that playing only heads ups will damage your game .. unless you play another category of tournaments or tables .. play for a while heads up and as a result damage my game . There you have to do a lot of bluff ..., the type of game is low level and constant pressure .. I would never recommend being a heads up player.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only way I like heads up is when I have played in a tournament and got down to the final table. Otherwise in the other heads up type games it is a game of hit or miss. Just as well go to Vegas put your money in the slot machine and press automatic play.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Everyone has their weaknesses and your strengths. Might as well play the type of poker that makes your strengths shine. Lots of people will play a game that they do not prefer, and win money. Then they take the winnings and play something they love, but gives back all their winnings.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has their weaknesses and your strengths. Might as well play the type of poker that makes your strengths shine. Lots of people will play a game that they do not prefer, and win money. Then they take the winnings and play something they love, but gives back all their winnings.

In my experience as a daily poker player, I can tell you that playing only heads ups will damage your game .. unless you play another category of tournaments or tables .. play for a while heads up and as a result damage my game . There you have to do a lot of bluff ..., the type of game is low level and constant pressure .. I would never recommend being a heads up player.

TY for response... Couple points...

-I'm thinking the focus on one player and the deck is going to help me get through the garbage more than waiting for opportunities in a big MTT.

-I just looked at the top overall earners on sharkscope.com and the top 3 all have their most recent tourney histories as heads-up entirely, and #3 & #4 start getting in to MTT's.:driver:

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing about heads up is, if you believe being "carddead" goes away after a certain number of hands, then yeah, heads up will push through that hand count. What I think is happening though is that it's not the cards changing, it's your confidence in the cards you're dealt. I've come to the conclusion that being "carddead" is more a matter of how people perceive their cards. If you don't get good cards then after a while you get pessimistic about the hands you are getting. And so you tighten up too much causing the carddead feeling. You tighten up causing you to play fewer hands causing you to feel like you are playing fewer hands causing you to feel like your carddeadness is worse than it really is.
Heads up you play a lot wider range heads up and so you play more hands and win more hands (even if you're losing money you can still be winning more hands than you would at a full table). Once your confidence is back up it at least appears as though your carddeadness has gone and you can return to the full tables with renewed confidence.

That's a theory anyway.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time I want to be playing heads up is when it's the final two in a big tournament and I'm one of them haha.
I don't consider myself very good at heads-up. Play is typically more aggressive and that's fine by me but I'm not the best at managing my stack in such situations.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turn

Actually, I'm now getting off of a bad run of heads-up. I scored huge earlier in the week and again this weekend in some MTT's and went on a long binge of heads-up auto-rematches thinking I'd turn it around, but I can't believe those are set up so anyone can win at this point. It's got to be randomly pre-determined with out a guarantee of not being lopsided. It seriously set me back.

Don't do that.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up good form for training hand reading skills, adaption skills vs different opponents, dealing with tilt skills.