I've Hit a Wall

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For some reason I seem to have forgotten what was working for me. My ROI has fallen below 50% for the first time in quite a while as I've continued to play poorly over the last 6 weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions that would help me track down the error in my game. I've always tried to be patient, even winning a few tourneys when I was on the verge of being blinded off because I maintained my philosophy of patience and selective aggression.

Maybe the players have changed and I'm not adapting well enough. I really just don't know where to start, and I'm starting to get frustrated.

T

TheWall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure what your playing but 50% for a ROI is quite good--perhaps you were on a heater and are now drifting down to a standard level.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all go through these periods, it's natural.

If you have tracking software check your play, are you playing out of position too often, are you bluffing too much, are you folding too often to re-raises?

I find that when I go on a bad streak it's usually because I start playing hands I shouldn't. Raising with those suited connectors in early position, weak Aces, K-10 UTG, flushes draws etc.
Usually I slow the play down and take the time to think, not just what I have but why is this guy raising me, calling, shoving all in.

Maybe it's time to lower the stakes and you'll find yourself getting back on track.

GL

:cool:

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50% ROI was hot! Way, way hot! So you first off have to consider that the laws of averages were bound to catch up to you.

It may be that you will never see 50% ROI again, mainly because you have so many more results and those laws of averages are immutable.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually cry, throw my mouse, and break things. But what Leo says is probably better advice.

Watch your position closer, and the hands that you are playing. You say that you have 'selective aggression', but sometimes I've found that could equal 'weak tight' and other players may pick up on that so make sure you haven't settled into that mental trap.

Play the game proper, study, make notes on other players while playing, and the game will take care of itself.

Cheers

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have been there.... Thought run out the door, not in to the wall..:p hehehe
Yes vollycat is right, watch your position..

greywind50

greywind50

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I find myself with a long losing streak I take some time off from poker. During these bad streaks I found I was not really thinking about the hand but auto-reacting and not making the right decisions. I was out of sync. After the layoff I would not take for granted "what I thought was happenning at the table" and took more time to adjust/adapt.