ITM goal in the tournament

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually say don't scratch your chips in the bubble:rolleyes:Better to have one bird in hand than two flying;)Even if you have equal pairs:eek:After the bubble is something else:cool:You already have a guaranteed prize now the tournament is different

:cool::D:icon_boun

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to become a better player, just figure out what the best/correct plays are rather than having goals like making the money. Sometimes playing tight to make the money might actually be correct but sometimes it might be horrendously wrong and you can't be afraid to lose.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also confirm I always start a tournament with the goal of reaching ITM places. it is only when I realize this goal that I start thinking about the final table. in the long run we have better results when we use this strategy.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends a lot on how the tournament is, if you are short stacked you better expect a good hand or an opportunity to bet all but if you are deep I think it is worth using the opportunities, position and hands to try to win more chips.
I think the priority has to be winning the tournament or at the very least getting to the final table, but sometimes you have to think about the ITM.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it may even be, but if you have a lot of chips you should take the opportunity to press the short stack in the bubble and further increase your stack towards better positions.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.First try to get ITM
2. Go for the win
3. Get Final table

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I usually say don't scratch your chips in the bubble:rolleyes:Better to have one bird in hand than two flying;)Even if you have equal pairs:eek:After the bubble is something else:cool:You already have a guaranteed prize now the tournament is different

:cool::D:icon_boun
What will happen in the end if everyone thinks like you? :saint::heeeellll:wink: Fold everything and wait for the reward :confused: because you can also lose with a strong card.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the goal is get on top stay on top.If you can stay in the top 50% for the duration you win eventually is another way of looking at it lol.Sometimes we catch some good hands and hardly notice the bubble,other times we may have a terrible run and have to give due consideration to the benefit of just making ITM with a shorter stack than most,it may indeed be better a bird in the hand.I guess what im saying is theres a lot more variance in poker than just variance.You cant win em all but it is the general goal right?getting as deep as possible.:rolleyes:

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Completely true, the first thing is to earn money then try to win the tournament, that is what you should do regardless of the type of tournament or bankroll you have, adding money (no matter if they are pennies) is the right thing and what every player must do. This is from my point of view and I respect all opinions

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I set a goal to get into prizes always, this is the first. Once I get into the prize zone, I can set other tasks.
Throw in a pass the aces on the bubble, if half the table goes all in? For me, it’s better to take the TOP 3 places 1 time than 10-15 times the 10th - 20th places.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Throw in a pass the aces on the bubble, if half the table goes all in? For me, it’s better to take the TOP 3 places 1 time than 10-15 times the 10th - 20th places.
Haha for sure,ive folded AA near bubble quite a few times.If it feels ok or i can easily enough afford it,then no worries.Otherwise im making that money and not giving fate or smiling variance as its otherwise known a chance.:icon_thum

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before bubble stack size permitting steal chips apply pressure make short stacks sweat,:playingba
Your 89 suited will probably crack that give you a dozen blinds type of player until get AA then call anyway.:p

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I got into the prize areas I’m not in a hurry to play. The main thing is that there are fewer players left and I will advance in prizes closer to the last table.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the reason why you never win a MTT. Before you start playing, you need visualize yourself winning the tourney. Quoting from Michelangelo:"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
You will always be ITM whenever you play MTT but i am kinda sure you will never win it.

Also, if you do the Math, out of 100 MTT you play, how is your ROI? Yes maybe you are ITM many times but how much is your profit?
Is 50 out of 100 ITM more profitable or 1/100 win is better?

I know many will disagree with me but i'll have no issue aiming high and miss

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have rules for all tournaments based on structure etc.. first step would be to itm but its secondary in sooooo many ways....if itm what bought in this is good etc...but if is one dollar? I do say one thing might help..... do not worry so much on chip stacks or the new poker where howmany blinds you have should force decisions.... i often play from last position OFTEN..... i make moves as have to etc.. i am 100% from coming from behind..... today one event left for 30 mins was down to 8k chips 800 blinds reached final table now am second of 4....cards come timely imho and experience if you wait on them..... yesterday 4 finals last spot 9th to start 1st 2nd 2nd and a sixth where had 2 people all in aa gifted :( and lost to flush on river runner runner :( 5 paid:( had to take some time cause was MAD haha.... final table 2nd won 160 3.30 buy in 1k gtd..... i played from last position in that from 43 on !! till final table..... i win as often from 9th as do first honestly in 15 years of online poker..... so just do your thing have rules challenge yourself etc... if your big thing is to ITM so get buy ins back maybe go for one early in day to win and then its all gravy so can keep going and maybe you get a big win:)

Alexander Rubcov

Alexander Rubcov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your answers and tips on playing MTT tournaments.My favorite coach once said a piece of advice that I remembered for a lifetime.I asked him how to win MTT tournaments.He replied learn not to lose putting on all the chips and then you will reach the top of the final table.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aim at a championship!!!

Please don't be satisfied with in Maney and always aim at a championship.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's a balancing act.

I listened to a podcast a while ago where a pro stated one of the most fundamental things to learn as a pro is to cash (I believe this was Alex Fitzgerald). His point was you need a regular return on what you are investing into the tourneys you play. The idea running deep, or winning the odd tourney (it will always be the odd tourney) will compensate for all the buy-ins will come back and bite you in the rear.

Playing the freerolls is a different matter and you can see how for a considerable number, swinging for the fences is the chosen playing style. Fair enough. However, as a relative newcomer to CC I set targets. The first was to regularly cash before I opened up my range. I can't simply turn off a goal and accept that literally tossing a coin and losing most of the time is okay - it would feel like I am not taking the game seriously...but that's just me.

From my perspective it's simply about trying to put good habits in place.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my first goal in a tournament is to make the money of course.. if you make the money, you are freerolling the tournament (assuming you are in for one bullet)

after we are ITM, playing your position at the table, (HJ, Cutoff, Button) becomes more important than ever