Is it worth it to call on the set after 3bet?

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all came across a situation where we had pocket small pairs and our opponent made 3 bet. Is it worth call for a set? Against which opponents? It is clear that we will often fold post-flop on the c-bet, but I think that it is not always advantageous to throw out small pocket pairs after the aggression of the opponent ?!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah that can be said on your question! After all, you spent some time with this opponent at the poker table and had to draw conclusions about his style of play! If this is your first game at the poker table then discard your cards! But again I say, you should have notes on this player and have game strategy against all players otherwise you can't win!

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah that can be said on your question! After all, you spent some time with this opponent at the poker table and had to draw conclusions about his style of play! If this is your first game at the poker table then discard your cards! But again I say, you should have notes on this player and have game strategy against all players otherwise you can't win!
I agree with you but this is one side of the matter. Do you call from 22.33 ... 77 every time after 3 betting?

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My actions also depend on what the opponent plays against me. Sometimes I can drop a couple even on a preflop ...

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The most time it is not profitable in my opinion after a 3-bet, only if you have a really good read on these 2 opponents. If I would have a read and I am in position, I even would consider to reraise instead of calling. Maybe it is worth to call, if you know that these opponents are often playing Ace with small kicker or so. But yeah, I hardly can find situations, about what I say, it is worth to call with them.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Depends on your stack and stack of your opponent. Read about call 15/ call 20 rule.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Depends on your stack and stack of your opponent. Read about call 15/ call 20 rule.
Yes, you are right, I also think so, but I forgot about it.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess if we do not hit the net with 33, then we have to fold?

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it always try to hit a chip when you have a pair. For things you need to consider how the size of the bet from your opponent. I usually try to hit the chip on the flop and I believe that my opponent does not have a pair I can pay to the river and realize the value of my hand. When I think my partner is missing, simply give up the hand.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you have a low pocket pair and are facing a 3bet, you will need implied 20 to consider calling to set mine.

If there is no-one to act behind you then you can ignore the implied 20.

Just in case you don't know what implied 20 is. Say after the 3bet you need to call another 80 then you need 80 x 20 = 1600, and if you have a stack of 1600 or more you can call, but if you have a stack under 1600 then you must fold.

K

Keotek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on pot size and expectation

you'll hit a set once every 11 flops, so you'll want quite a few callers in the pot and you need to have expected value after you hit your set, if your table is going to check it down and fold on any bet you could be facing negative EV every time and that's a guaranteed way to lose money.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure yesterday I called 4 times with small pocket pairs and didn't hit the flop then in the process I had to fold my hands, it was a loss-making decision but today from the third time I hit the flop and won one buy in. I don't know why?

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm not sure yesterday I called 4 times with small pocket pairs and didn't hit the flop then in the process I had to fold my hands, it was a loss-making decision but today from the third time I hit the flop and won one buy in. I don't know why?

As long as it is cheap to set mine, go for it, if it costs too much then forget about it. To set mine you need to see a flop cheaply!

And you need to be deep stacked!

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as it is cheap to set mine, go for it, if it costs too much then forget about it. To set mine you need to see a flop cheaply!

And you need to be deep stacked!
Some players advised me to try to call in multipots, what do you say to this, is this correct?

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some players advised me to try to call in multipots, what do you say to this, is this correct?

Yep that is correct if say someone has limped and a few have called the limp, then you also call, you will be seeing a very cheap flop, and same goes if some min-raises and get a few callers before you, you again can just call and get to see that flop on the cheap.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if someone already mentioned, sorry.
ABC poker with a pair, preFlop.
The chance of hitting a set on the flop is about 12% (1 in 8).
From basic math: always call with a pair if the cost is <12% of my stack (asume resonably sized).
If you are opening: consider a raise to reduce the number of opponents.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if I have a lot of chips and I have been hitting every hand...

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. If you are OOP , then often you have to fold. If you play against a tight opponent, then you can call. You can call a double barrel and raise on the river with a set, since most likely he will have an overpair. If you did not catch the set, then don't fold, and see what he will do on the turn. Then you can make big bets in case of his check to knock out his pairs.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like all your methods, but is not that risky?

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you but this is one side of the matter. Do you call from 22.33 ... 77 every time after 3 betting?
Hey, no, of course not since 22 33 44 .... 77 I play very rarely, and I advise you not to play! Stick to ABC poker at an early stage of the game!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a low pocket pair and are facing a 3bet, you will need implied 20 to consider calling to set mine.

If there is no-one to act behind you then you can ignore the implied 20.

Just in case you don't know what implied 20 is. Say after the 3bet you need to call another 80 then you need 80 x 20 = 1600, and if you have a stack of 1600 or more you can call, but if you have a stack under 1600 then you must fold.

Wow, this is a really neat rule of thumb to follow. Many thanks for the info.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're very welcome. I got that titbit from Katie Dozier on Dragthebar.
Curious if the implied 20 you speak of is because you got a 1:5 chance of hitting your set. 100/5 = 20

... Illuminati

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also - I know it's not 1:5... for the puns

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Curious if the implied 20 you speak of is because you got a 1:5 chance of hitting your set. 100/5 = 20

... Illuminati

It might have come from that, I am not sure. I know they use 15 and 20 for a set mine. If I am not mistaken you only use the 15 against a very loose player.