• Thread starter grindmylifeaway
  • Start date
grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker off and on for a few years now but just recently started studying my hands, reading books and articles. I was having a discussion with a friend who mentioned about how he doesn't study at all or read books because he doesn't want the play of others to influence his own "unique" style. The only thing for me personally that would make me feel like studying could hurt my game would be information overload. Besides that I kind of enjoy learning new things about myself, finding leaks and learning from others. Feels like a never-ending journey and I enjoy that. But does anyone think that studying too much could be more detrimental than beneficial??

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is always good to learn but it only works to learn good things.
therefore are you make sure you always learning the right thing?
just like poker, r you always getting the right points?

L

Lincon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I step 40% studying and other 60 playing.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to shoot at most for 50/50 or you don't get a big enough sample to apply or test what you are learning.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theoretically list of classes are important! It is necessary to examine what players offer friendess and take only the best! You choose which suits you and what does not! Analysis of the played hands you are very important, you're here to get that done wrong and did not repeat that mistake! Certainly not immediately understand, and will repeat these mistakes! But it is certainly 10 times you'll understand and remember, as it is impossible to play!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are basics you should know for sure, but I'm starting to wonder if studying things like shove charts are worth it. If everyone plays the same way maybe the opens the door to exploit that.

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that study and play is the cycle of most poker players.

Study enough to implement them in your game.
Play enough to study your leaks and mistakes.

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game in which you need to constantly learn something, because when you stop learning, you do not improve their skills and thereby lose. You need to read books on poker and watch how the professionals play in live and online tournaments.

jashiggs

jashiggs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker off and on for a few years now but just recently started studying my hands, reading books and articles. I was having a discussion with a friend who mentioned about how he doesn't study at all or read books because he doesn't want the play of others to influence his own "unique" style. The only thing for me personally that would make me feel like studying could hurt my game would be information overload. Besides that I kind of enjoy learning new things about myself, finding leaks and learning from others. Feels like a never-ending journey and I enjoy that. But does anyone think that studying too much could be more detrimental than beneficial??

Your friend is full of shite, excuse my french!

Whilst studying is massively helpful it's no good learning about plays and or concepts if you cannot implement them or they do not work in your games / stakes. I suggest every serious poker player should at least spend *some time* studying their hands and learning from mistakes. Poker tracker / HEM can be extremely useful once you have some data in there.

ahil5000

ahil5000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Education has never hurt nobody. Learning poker on the contrary you will simply understand better opponents at the table, that is, to have more information as the game goes to the next level, is more like chess than cards :)

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
studying may be a part of the learning curve and most players do a certain amount any player should be learning all the time every situation may provide further information the amount of studying depends on each individual and their final ability and goal

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

learning too fast you will not grasp things as well might take awhile to sit back and contemplate etc.. is just like cramming on tests that stuff goes out of head as fast as you put it in lol

poker is for the long term take time take breaks in all areas poker learning videos etc.. and it will work out. Just was sick for a week and that helped me with my thought process on my progress I had adapted to.

Was like sitting around when a lightbulb hit. I am using it but ive played 37 years and learn daily.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that there is no any point you should stop learning on. We learn some new things till our death. Learn daily, that's all you can do to live your life usefully.

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol there is not a thing called "study too much". The more you dig in the field the more you understand your limits and on how to improve it

B

Bestplayerever69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant study too much, its just very hard to use that information correctly.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ideally, you would study and play. Maybe study about 25% of the time, play about 75% of the time.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
too much?.... i think yes and no. there i no point in digging froums/books/videos and not puttin in to practice, on the other hand there is no limit to getting better so brushing up even if you play high stakes is good

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience has been that I enjoy reading and do learn quite a bit, but... if I play soon after I've read my play is horrible. I play just like that one book read and don't take all of my experience and intuition into account. Let it soak in for a while after you read, be prepared to take a break.

K

Kate Williams

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to learn easily. Pieces of advice.

Of course it is possible to learn too much when you lose sleep, appetite, you do not go out much... There are ways how to make it easier meaning the process of learning. There are some tips and pieces of advice available on here: http://findwritingservice.com/blog/essay-on-learning-18-advices-how-to-learn-easily
Look it up and maybe you will find it interesting and helpful for you.

K

kishiru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U have to play to be better and ofc watch streams and read books as u said but to be better u just have to play more not only reading u know. Playing is the best way to be better imo

I

insaneiam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can understand not wanting the play of others to influence the way a person plays, however I believe that each will play there own way no matter the influences, afterall in the end we are all individuals and have to make up out own minds and actions. would you agree?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it would be hard to study too much. Think about how people practice for sports compared to how much time they are actually playing.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are people that hate libraries. They learned to read, but do not enjoy reading.

Same goes with studying. People will study and then do not apply what they were taught.

You can put in all the studying you want, but for whatever reason, you may not see a return on your time invested. Not a dime. So be careful how much you invest in an endeavor, because it might be enriching others but not enriching you. Some call it entertainment.

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely can study too much. Poker is one of those things that seem to be experienced to be learned. If you read 5 poker books cover-to-cover but didn't focus on any particular skill taught in those books, I think your new knowledge would fleeting.

Learn and then apply seems like the way to go.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you dont study, it will be extremely hard to progress beyond a certain level of skill. Besides, it is much much cheaper than learning on the job. Those lessons can be quite expensive.