Is it ever correct to donk river

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it ever correct to lead into villain on the river if you think he’ll check back or does it just make your hand look to strong

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a highly situational question.
Short answer is yes; sometimes.

Answer would be based on how often you think he'll take line A or B

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on many situations, it is not just about whether or not there are many mitigating factors:playingba

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure you ever "donk" the river. By the river you are either betting your hand for value or betting to try to get your opponent to fold. Are you referring to leading out on the river when you are playing a pot out of position?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure you ever "donk" the river. By the river you are either betting your hand for value or betting to try to get your opponent to fold. Are you referring to leading out on the river when you are playing a pot out of position?

Thats exactly what he is talking about. I lead the river lots of times, both as bluffs and as strong made hands. I get called alot when i want to, and bluffs get through sometimes when they need to.

Leading the river can be great for getting max value, if you just keep check calling 2 streets eventually your villan usually figures out to shut down on the river unless their hand improves beyond what they started with.

In the end, the answer is yes, leading the river into an opponent can be the right play and can be profitable. Too many people play ABC poker...its so easy to tell when they have it. I like mixing my game up and making some very unorthodox plays to keep people guessing :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have to if I raised on the flop and raised on the turn. Also, of I did not hit, if I donk the river, it may prevent my opponent from going all in when I got crap for a hand.

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for the incite
I was never sure if leading the river for value/bluff looked too fishy sane and when i get Donked on the flop

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll usually lead the river if We have both been slow playing it and try to Mimic a weak bluff raise to steal the pot, with hopes they will shove in an attempt to strong arm me. If they been aggressive this usually works, but if they're tight, they might just call, then you lose out on the value.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Thank you all for the incite
I was never sure if leading the river for value/bluff looked too fishy sane and when i get Donked on the flop

Leading the flop with a mere amount of the pot is an absolute fishy move , leading river is a strong move where you can do it if you want to:

-Blocker bet , in order to prevent your opponent bet big on the river in position,is like a pot controlling move.
-Value bet , if you think you will not get any value from your opponent because most likely he will check back
-Pure bluff because you have no shown down value and bluffing is the only move it may give you the pot.

I would recommend for the 3rd dash above to have at least some blocking cards on your hand than trying this move with total air.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can not know what is in the hands of the enemy if he called you to the river. Maybe he already had a good combination on the flop or got a card on the turn. And now you are deceived and expect a big raise from you. It's up to you if you do not have anything and are going to bluff.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were chasing a draw and you got there on the river it might be right to lead out. If he had a one or 2 pair hand and sees that the draw might have got there he would probably check it down. But if you make a small to moderate size bet he would in many instances 'pay to see'.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have been check calling your way to the river.. putting out a nice donk bet is definately going to look strong. I will do this if I think the villian is going to check the river or if its a last chance stab at a pot.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leading on the river isn't donk betting.

L

LILBIGL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its a good moove in a few kind of situations. but you cant say this at all

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it ever correct to lead into villain on the river if you think he’ll check back or does it just make your hand look to strong

I think thats a good play,if you have some read on your opponent,if he is calling station its obvious not to donk, so first think what you know about him and then donk,but these is a good play if you think that your opponent is gonna check back...good luck

S

silentbovo1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't let the term "donk" deter you from leading out of position. It shouldn't be your "go-to" play but there will be many situations where you can sense weakness in your opponent's range and bluff strength or extract value if you think the villain is going to check back with his medium-low strength hands. Mix it up and play based on your opponents.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depend of the situation and the player just like almost everything in poker sometimes you can use it as a bluff or when you have the nut on the situation like when you know the player you're against is a calling station then if you're OOP with the nuts or a nice hand and you know he'll call with any middle pair you can check call and on the river go all in .. same move could be on a bluff against a tight player when you see he check back on turn probably giving up his strong hand that did not connect and just cause you did not fold to his Cbet you could then Shove Bluff on the river and most of times he will fold ... it is all of course depending on the player and the stacks you both have whether is a MTT or a cash games all of it like I said when started is all about the situation that's Poker :D

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, if you can get away with it why is it incorrect?
If you can out-donk a donk why not.... LOL

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are lots of times where it is ok to donk river, I think its very villan dependent but some guys will fire 3 streets very often, and sometimes I like to bet very small like I hit the river and want to extract value and the post oak bluff works more than you think on some villans.

C

crisco609

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone here - the answer will vary from situation to situation, depending on what you and villain have been doing up until that point - what image do you want to give? What image of the villain do you have? If you're checking/calling all the way to a river, then put out a good sized donk bet on the river, it will either say "I just hit a monster, back down" or "I missed, and now I'm going to try to steal this pot". It all depends on how it's played

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with the poster that you can’t” donk “the river. It’s an expression for flop play You lead out on the river for one of these reasons
1 have air and the only way to win is bet and hope he doesn’t call
2 value bet if you think you are ahead and playing some one that likes to check down the river and likely will not bet
3 blocker bet
A thin size bet when you think you might be behind but not exactly sure and prevents a big bet that you might not be willing to call If he raises big then you may have to fold
I didn’t like the blocker idea but I been using it more often
What happens when you have monster? Then it’s usually check(sometimes checking blind) - shove/raise
But I have seen a few players use a blocker bet to disguise themselves as being weak, induce a hugh reraise and the coming over the top.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have been check calling your way to the river.. putting out a nice donk bet is definately going to look strong. I will do this if I think the villian is going to check the river or if its a last chance stab at a pot.

This is one of my favorite lines with bluffs. Though it only works with an agressive opponent but not a calling station. By the river the pot is so big that villian really has to evaluate what could beat him and often he will convince himself he is beat. Also, the turn and river often bring scare cards which help your cause. Finally, it can be a sort of blocker bet to avoid a bigger bet by the villian and keep them from bluffing a missed draw.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with the poster that you can’t” donk “the river. It’s an expression for flop play.

According to Wikipedia, which can reasonably be said to represent the consensus opinion, a donk bet is:

"A bet made in early position by a player who did not take the initiative in the previous betting round."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_poker_terms

It can therefore be performed on the flop, turn or river.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to Wikipedia, which can reasonably be said to represent the consensus opinion, a donk bet is:

"A bet made in early position by a player who did not take the initiative in the previous betting round."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_poker_terms

It can therefore be performed on the flop, turn or river.
Okay on that. I thought it would be more important to analyze “donkbet” on the river than on the flop As by the river one has a sense of who the aggressor is by the river.
On the flop so many variations of betting and I don’t think donkbet at the flop is really that important to over analyze at nausea

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donking the river is for insurance that you have a big hand and don't want to take a chance that you won't get paid in the event the villain checks the river. So in that situation it is a good strategy.