Is it best to stick to learning one type of poker or learn multiple?

B

blazer1027

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best advice for someone new to poker? Should they stick to learning one game or and then move to the others or is it best to mix in the other games from the start?

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question - I'm also very interested in the answer to this - I'm just playing SnGs as quite time constrained so allows me to play a quick turbo game or slightly longer regular game and turbo in tandem.

Unfortunately, because of that I would be a bit lost with the specifics of Cash games in particular. Next on the list is an MTT. Will it help, hinder or neither I wonder!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the best advice for someone new to poker? Should they stick to learning one game or and then move to the others or is it best to mix in the other games from the start?

Apparently it depends on your personal qualities, but I would recommend focusing on one direction to begin with.
For example, you could study the most popular NL Hold'em and try to build a bankroll by playing freerolls.
You may be interested in some very useful links:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/new-members-corner-76/where-passwords-click-here-443291/
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-hands/
https://www.cardschat.com/mtt-tournament-strategy.php

Also pay attention to our free course, which is ideal for all players regardless of experience and skills:
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/
Good luck.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think is better to learn one type where you can be really good and when you feel really comfortable you can start learning other types and formats but if you're looking to gain some profit and being a good wining player that's the way to go if you just want to have fun then try various types and play the one than makes more fun for you although this could also apply for finding the format that you would like to be the best hehe good luck!

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say, overall, it is probably better to learn one game, and then move to others. Even if you're only playing for fun, it's probably better to just get comfortable with poker through one type of game, and then when you begin to play others, you'll already have sort of a poker foundation. So you'll likely be able to pick up and understand the other games more easily and quickly, and also be able to better hone in on which games you feel you really like.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First

First, it's to understand the difference between the tournament and the cash game well.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on personal preferences. For me, I get bored playing the same thing over and over, so having the ability to jump into different games keeps it interesting for me.

If this is something you're interested in, I would suggest you become proficient at one discipline first before trying to learn another.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what time frame you are talking about with learning poker. In the beginning you should stick to one game until you have the fundamentals of that game down. That might days for some, that might take weeks or months for others. Once you have the fundamentals of one game down I do recommend learning and studying a second game. It will not only improve you in the first game but it will also keep your studying fresh and new. Just because you will be studying the new game doesnt mean you wont be studying the first game and you will see similarities in the games and learn faster by being able to see things in two lights instead of one.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your skills, but I think if you start in poker it is better to learn one and once you think you have mastered it, try your luck on other style of play.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You eventually need to play different formats to find which one most likely becomes the most profitable for you. I notice differences in bankroll when i play a 6 handed game compared to 9 handed, a cash game compared to mtt, and NL compared to Omaha high low. I suggest if you multi-table, you don't mix the game types.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I play all kinds of poker. Its useful for me, because can find solutions in same situations, using the experience of other kinds of poker.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that it makes no sense to be sprayed on several types of poker. Learn well one type of poker and then you can move on to the second.

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely need to learn one type of poker. And then move on to another

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say learn cash first. Then you are set up for MTT with a little adjusting for stack sizes.

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning one poker variant is super hard. Just stick with whatever you like the most .